Another Late Season Surge

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Only hope is a new regime in charge from top to bottom. Need training camp to be vastly different than previous years

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Yes.

We are already basically eliminated may as well earn ourselves a top draft pick.

I’m tired of this team pulling it together the last ten games of the season when they have been ass the first 70 games
I agree 100%. I get accused of being a bad fan for this, but come on....why sabotage another top draft pick because they are playing to not embarrass themselves.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I was low key hoping the jets would win last night. We play a strong games but lose a few down the stretch. I keep hearing “position doesn’t matter because the odds are so low to move up outside the last two places” but that’s the argument to get a high a pick as possible in my eyes. It’s weird watching games but cheering both ways.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This late season surge started earlier and been better than the last few years. I’m still not buying in though.

Reactions: bert

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This late season surge started earlier and been better than the last few years. I’m still not buying in though.

Was it though? I'm pretty sure our record was better from like game 50 to game 70 last year than this year. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure we were close to even in GF/GA around Christmas and we're now -17 even after a 5 game winning streak. It has not been pretty the last few months. We had a couple nice streaks surrounded by a bunch of horrid play and multi goal losses that kept dragging down of goal differential.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This late season surge is different.

It is brought to you by " average goaltending"

I'm pretty sure we've gotten above average goaltending the last 5 games. Anyone have our save percentages?

28/30= .933
19/19= 1.000
34/36= .944
33/36= .917
18/20= .900

Total: 132/141 = .936

We've gotten 1.80GAA and .936sv% in this 5 game winning streak.

How can you say that the winning streak is brought to you with average goaltending? In what world is 1.80gaa and .936sv% average? That's prime Hasek numbers lol.

And then before those 5 games we lost 5-2, 6-2, and 7-2, so this most recent hot streak didn't start too long ago and is definitely brought on by really high end goaltending numbers.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure we've gotten above average goaltending the last 5 games. Anyone have our save percentages?

28/30= .933
19/19= 1.000
34/36= .944
33/36= .917
18/20= .900

Total: 132/141 = .936

We've gotten 1.80GAA and .936sv% in this 5 game winning streak.

How can you say that the winning streak is brought to you with average goaltending? In what world is 1.80gaa and .936sv% average? That's prime Hasek numbers lol.

Looking at a streak of only wins will likely give you an inflated sv% with any team, extend to the full late season surge of 8-3-0, and we have a sv% of .902 in eleven games, which is just about average (slightly below).

Generally speaking, we have a team sv% of .931 in wins and .884 in loses, you see the same thing with other teams, NYR have a .949sv% in wins and .869 in loses for example.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This team sucks at everything, can’t even tank properly lol.

I would shut down Giroux, Stu, And Tkachuk and maybe Sanderson with Sokolov, Smejkal, et. al. to finish out the remaining games. Put Hammer in. Automatic loss, profit in draft ranking.

I love winning, so enjoying the games, but a bottom-5 finish will give them better odds at draft lottery and ensure they pick high with their own picks in each round. It’s also not the deepest draft. A guy like Celebrini gives the team more financial resources to sign/trade for a big salary/cap RD. At worst they get one of the Ds.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's less of a late season surge and more that this team is streaky. when they are feeling good they win games. problem is when they aren't feeling good they don't know how to win games and when they aren't winning games they don't know how to stop the bleeding and it leads to long losing streaks.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It’s going to come down to our last game, win and we “drop” two draft selection slots like a couple years back, and Boston will of course rest all of their best players.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't know because while they had that ugly 7 loss streak they have been playing much better overall since mid January (a few weeks after the coaching change, which might have been the time necessary for that change to start having an impact)

Since January 13th :

19-13-4, 0.583 P% (13th)

CF% : 8th
SF% : 6th
GF% : 17th
xGF : 4th

That record and that GF% could have been better if goaltending had been better in the first 25-30 games of that stretch

It hasn't been perfect, with some big up and downs but overall this team has played much better since the coaching has started making an impact. It is more than a small sample size now, it's almost half a season. They have also started playing better before they were eliminated (they basically were with that 7 loss streak)

Now it doesn't guarantee anything for next season because there's still some pretty big question marks to answer :

- Coaching
- Goaltending
- Top-4 RHD
- Top-6 Winger
- Norris

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Canucks went 13-5-2 in their last 20 games last year. That’s a .600% points percentage

This year they are a .671 points percentage

So Ottawa could be building for something great in their last 20 games. Or the goalies go back to sucking and so do we

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
We’ve been picking up “good habits” the last 5 years

We really haven't though. It was all the same pond hockey under DJ Dorion.

I'm more OK with this late season push because:

1) We were never finishing bottom 5 and from 4-10 in the draft seems like a natural tier of players.

2) If the players see wins as a product of more responsible hockey that will help in camp next year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The time to collect high draft picks was 2019, 2021, 2022 and even still 2023. It's too late now, need to become more competitive YESTERDAY, it's more important than tanking

Makar to Colorado turned Colorado into a Cup winner and. He was drafted 6 years after McKinnon. They didn’t make the playoffs until Makar arrived

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Makar to Colorado turned Colorado into a Cup winner and. He was drafted 6 years after McKinnon. They didn’t make the playoffs until Makar arrived

???

Mackinnon made the playoffs twice before Makar joined the team.

^^^ And the Avs qualified without Makar a third time and he joined them only in the playoffs.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We’ve won 5 after we lost 6. Would it make people feel better if we went 1 and 1 five times in a row ?

Yes.

We are already basically eliminated may as well earn ourselves a top draft pick.

I’m tired of this team pulling it together the last ten games of the season when they have been ass the first 70 games
We simply aren’t that bad man. Sorry

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We’ve been picking up “good habits” the last 5 years
I am struggling to think of one.

Regardless of the total lack of good habits anytime in the last 5 years it doesn't change your main point of wanting to get the best pick possible. I can definitely see that point. Not sure how you would reasonably achieve it but I see it.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad