Post-Game Talk: Another late goal, another late loss, Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Hey puck, you failed to mention the fact that Buffs a WPG Jet. I think that in itself will be Buff a minimum 5 games (I guarantee the NHL has been looking to ding him for all his crazy CLEAN hits).

Remember the 3 game suspension Peluso got for that hit which happens far too often without penalty?

No doubt we've been on the receiving end of some questionable player safety calls, BrokerD. And that sucks, and should be dealt with.

But I think we gotta separate the two issues. Buff's hit was pretty nasty, and there should be repercussions. As there should be when one of our players is the target.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
cross-checking someone on the ground facing the other direction and hitting him between his helmet and shoulder pads where he has no protection. if there was no intent to injure then what was the intent? He absolutely meant to hurt him and if you mean to hurt someone then you mean in injure them as well.

You can say that about every fight and every time someone slashes a player in the wrist which happens all of the time.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I say Buff gets 3 games because of the viciousness of the cross check. That could have been a broken neck and the NHL has to send a message. They do not want another situation like Bertuzzi/Moore again.
The NHL also is giving the Jets a break here because this is pretty much the playoffs now for these teams. If this was at the beginning of the season or preseason, buff would be flying to New York for an in person meeting and getting 6+ games. Buff has no excuse for this attack, it was not caused by speed of the game or the opponent turning into a hit, this was premeditated and intent to injure.

Can I send a message to you. Take your thoughts to the main board. We really don't appreciate having a Phoenix Coyote fan entering our post game discussion and telling us that our player deserves a 6+ game suspension. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Premeditated? Hah, based on what? Do you own a dictionary?

I'm a Ranger fan coming in here and I have to say that it doesn't matter whether it was premeditated or not. Suspensions are supposed to protect other players in the future that this might happen to. Buff is lucky Miller wasn't seriously hurt or Zuccarello either at the end of the game; and I think it's stupid that suspensions in the past consider whether there was an injury to the victim. It makes no difference because this stuff needs to be out of the game. The game is dangerous enough without this kind of garbage.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Couple thoughts on the game. Buff was an idiot all night, Ladd wasnt much better. One thing that really caught my eye was all bad passes from our "half board" or just inside our own blueline. Ladd in particular made some awful passes from that area. We've got to be much smarter clearing our zone.

In general, it didnt look like a team that was highly motivated to win a critical game. Very concerning to say the least.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Couple thoughts on the game. Buff was an idiot all night, Ladd wasnt much better. One thing that really caught my eye was all bad passes from our "half board" or just inside our own blueline. Ladd in particular made some awful passes from that area. We've got to be much smarter clearing our zone.

In general, it didnt look like a team that was highly motivated to win a critical game. Very concerning to say the least.

I would say that they actually came out very strong and dominated until the Tlusty penalty mid first.

jetkarma*

I'm a Ranger fan coming in here and I have to say that it doesn't matter whether it was premeditated or not. Suspensions are supposed to protect other players in the future that this might happen to. Buff is lucky Miller wasn't seriously hurt or Zuccarello either at the end of the game; and I think it's stupid that suspensions in the past consider whether there was an injury to the victim. It makes no difference because this stuff needs to be out of the game. The game is dangerous enough without this kind of garbage.

Donnie Murder Murdoch ?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Suspension deserved and required. The weighting on injury sustained will mean that Buff gets off easier than he should here, since there was little to no sustained injury. The guy was in on the game winning goal IIRC. It reminded me a lot about the neck cross check on Myers a few games back. I don't think that one was even reviewed but I am not sure - can't recall.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Thanks for dropping by and parroting what 99% of people on the board are saying (ie. it was a stupid, reckless play by Buff).

I'm not really sure why you're quoting that particular post. One person said something about it being premeditated. That person obviously doesn't know what premeditated means. I don't recall anyone saying it particularly mattered (for the purpose of a susupension) whether or not it was a premeditated act.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

You're right to be mad about the cross-check. I would be too, if it happened to one of our players.

The only reason we're talking about it being premeditated is because Buff was accused of it, and it is a false accusation.

About the (non)-injury, I get where you're coming from. It was dangerous. That being said, Buff has the strength to have easily guaranteed an injury, had that been what he wanted. So it being a non-injury doesn't absolve him, but it is a consideration for the player safety dept.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
No doubt we've been on the receiving end of some questionable player safety calls, BrokerD. And that sucks, and should be dealt with.

But I think we gotta separate the two issues. Buff's hit was pretty nasty, and there should be repercussions. As there should be when one of our players is the target.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you.. Just wanted to point out that an additional fact (that Buff is a Jet) IMO will weigh in the decision set out by the league. I just want consistency..

I also thought the cross-check was horrible :shakehead

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If the saucer pass in the slot is a "Petan", then the careless give-away from the half-wall could be called the "Ladd". It's been a feature of his game as long as I can remember. He does a lot of other things well, but he can get a bit careless with the puck in his zone.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Nice to know others see that as well, I call that area the Ladd Pizza zone.
Although lately he has made the pass out a few more times from there without a turnover.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
All I care about right now is figuring out how we still make the playoffs. It's all well and good to talk about that Calgary game being for all the marbles, but obviously unless we win at least 2 (if not 3) of these next games, the Flames game will be meaningless.
It all starts with a win needed against the Canucks.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

Yes, but why does Buff need to be the example?
Why couldn't it have been the Staal on Crosby cross check that showed that this wasn't acceptable? Or maybe the cross check to the throat that Myers took.
If those had resulted in suspensions perhaps this would never have happened.

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012
Yes, but why does Buff need to be the example?
Why couldn't it have been the Staal on Crosby cross check that showed that this wasn't acceptable? Or maybe the cross check to the throat that Myers took.
If those had resulted in suspensions perhaps this would never have happened.

This looked a lot different than the cross check to Myers. The guy was on the ice and helpless. It will be interesting to see what they decide.

Buff was filled with anger last night.

The Rangers were sharp and fast...buff was struggling to keep himself in the play.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I was able to predict shannabans pretty well.

But Quintal has been all over the map.

While I think Buff deserves a suspension, I can think of worse plays that have gone unpunished this year.

If I were in charge of suspensions I would give him 2-3 games, but I am way harsher than any Official channels.

Very similar to the Cross Check on Myers, a bit worse. Not as bad as the hit on enstrom. I thought they got Lowry's right, not that any other player cared, since it was on Kaleta.

Also consider this:

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-the-lowdown-on-toffoli-1.239220

Kerry Fraser said:
Given the entire circumstance and magnitude of the illegal hit, I have to believe that the absence of injury to Burrows, and quite possibly a tight playoff race that the defending Stanley Cup Champions are currently engaged in, had to play a part in the decision by the Player Safety Committee not to take further action against Tyler Toffoli. While I am quite certain that the PSC receives pressure from various sources on all potential suspensions, the wrong message is being sent with this decision no matter how, or who arrived at it.

Was the Toffoli Cross Check worse? Its a matter of opinion, but I find that hit a lot worse considering the positioning and potential for injury. What does the DoPS think? Obviously they think the Buff one is worse.

Last edited:

peg

Jul 8, 2010
This looked a lot different than the cross check to Myers. The guy was on the ice and helpless. It will be interesting to see what they decide.

Buff was filled with anger last night.

The Rangers were sharp and fast...buff was struggling to keep himself in the play.

On the ice and helpless, but one second earlier he was whacking as hard as he could at Pavelec, so hard that he lost his balance and fell face first towards the ice. Buff was acting in response to an opponent that was taking liberties with his goalie. Suspension worthy, but it was not a random act against some defenceless victim.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I guess the reason I'm a little surprised at this, is that the boarderline stuff that happens in front of the net seems to be rarely punished, (Especially in game)

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I guess the reason I'm a little surprised at this, is that the boarderline stuff that happens in front of the net seems to be rarely punished, (Especially in game)

Yeah but that isn't borderline it's over the line. Byfuglien used a LOT of force in that cross check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad