another Gilbert Brule question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagar

Feb 27, 2002
Vernon B.C.
Visit site
No! Don't get me wrong, he has magnificent talent, but is still around 5'10". If he gets taller and stonger he will need at least 2 more years to mature physically. If he doesn't grow, it will take longer.

Hagar

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think he will be ready, he plays an NHL style game now, and he is very strong on the ice, so there will be no questions about that issue with him. People put too much stock into size and that is why the game is the way it is now. Drafting 6'05 guys who can't move or skate well but they sure have that intimidation factor though.....woooow that will want me want to go watch the game. But Brule has every attribute to play in the NHL next year and the only thing people can point out on why he won't is because he is 5'10. But IMO that is not going to stop him from making it.

dubfan

Jun 1, 2004
he will most dfinatley be ready. his skill is far beyond ready. he is a person that wants to be challenged and he will rip up the dub this year and play in the show the year after next. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!! :yo:

Hagar

Feb 27, 2002
Vernon B.C.
Visit site
moosefan said:
I think he will be ready, he plays an NHL style game now, and he is very strong on the ice, so there will be no questions about that issue with him. People put too much stock into size and that is why the game is the way it is now. Drafting 6'05 guys who can't move or skate well but they sure have that intimidation factor though.....woooow that will want me want to go watch the game. But Brule has every attribute to play in the NHL next year and the only thing people can point out on why he won't is because he is 5'10. But IMO that is not going to stop him from making it.[/QUOTE

You underestimate the difference between skating around developing D men who are having trouble turning with speed as is the problem with all development leagues and the NHL where most can, with physical force.

A good comparison would be a 14 yo trying to be a force in the CHL.

Most players need size and a little toughness if they are going to play in the show.

Hagar

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It all depends on how much he physically develops in the next 16 months or so - it's quite possible he'll be 6'0, 205 points by that time, while being much faster, and much stronger. If that's the case, it's certainly possible.

Of course, it's also possible he doesn't mature as quickly, and doesn't crack the NHL until 2007.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hagar said:
moosefan said:
I think he will be ready, he plays an NHL style game now, and he is very strong on the ice, so there will be no questions about that issue with him. People put too much stock into size and that is why the game is the way it is now. Drafting 6'05 guys who can't move or skate well but they sure have that intimidation factor though.....woooow that will want me want to go watch the game. But Brule has every attribute to play in the NHL next year and the only thing people can point out on why he won't is because he is 5'10. But IMO that is not going to stop him from making it.[/QUOTE

You underestimate the difference between skating around developing D men who are having trouble turning with speed as is the problem with all development leagues and the NHL where most can, with physical force.

A good comparison would be a 14 yo trying to be a force in the CHL.

Most players need size and a little toughness if they are going to play in the show.

Hagar

Patrice Bergeron made the NHL out of draft and so did a guy like Eric Staal who has a slender body, it did not stop guys like that at making it so there is no reason with the game Brule plays that it should stop him from making the NHL right away.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
monster_bertuzzi said:
He's 5'11'' 180 pounds - already NHL size...

I have no doubt that Brule could play in the NHL with his current frame - hell, he could probably play right now. He's got a ton of physicality and a really solid build, kind of like Tuomo Ruutu (although Ruutu is a harder hitter). The only problem he might have is if he hits a growth spurt and ends up like Evgeni Malkin at 6'4 185 or something. Then he may need a bit of time to bulk up and adjust to his new frame. But if he ends up at about 6' give or take an inch then he's going to be a force right from the onset.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
cool thanks for the input.

one of the reasons why i asked is because i am pretty "optimistic" that the caps will fall into the bottom five category again like last year. assuming they dont win the lottery two years in a row, i wanted to get any idea of how NHL ready some prospects for next year. other than these two players (brule/crosby), whom else are nearly surefire top 5 picks (specifically defensemen?)

thanks in advance

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Brule is still growing and should top out at about 6' and 200 lbs when he is fully grown. Regardless, that kid can play, and will play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad