Another fight after a clean hit (Brad Stuart obliterates Pietrangelo)

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
What message did Stewart send? He got put in the box for 15 mins, the Wings scored the game-tying goal on the PP, the Wings cranked up their physical play the rest of the game and the Blues lost a huge divisional game. What a great way to send a message.
I am pretty lost on why Stewart got fifteen. I saw them both oblige, and it should have just been five even. If Stuart didn't want to go, he always has the option to skate away or turtle.

Zetsyuk

Farewell Nick.
Jul 19, 2008
Windsor, ON
I am pretty lost on why Stewart got fifteen. I saw them both oblige, and it should have just been five even. If Stuart didn't want to go, he always has the option to skate away or turtle.

It's because he came off the bench with the intention of starting a fight, hence the instigator.

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI

Distance traveled and fighting in blatant retaliation of a previous incident in the game (about 30 seconds earlier) are both reasons he was given the instigator.

Leaving the bench and not playing the game to fight will probably get him a suspension.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Instead of everyone snapping out that a fight happens after a big hit, can we please start applauding players who actually have the balls to back up actions.

Big clean hits lead to concussions, so of course the other team will be pissed off.

If your gonna hammer someone clean or not, you should expect to fight afterwards. Its the guys who can run around hitting and wont fight that are the problem.

lol let's take hits out of the game and have more fights instead. :sarcasm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
St. Louis is more than likely going to make it, so at the cost of 1 game to let others know that you're not going to stand idly by and let people cream your players, it's well worth it,

You should probably revisit that though if you don't like your seed, that incident is what woke up the Wings from their slumber. They also cashed in on the power play. The Blues took two stupid penalties and fished both of them out of their net tonight.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They may not know much about fighting, but they sure know about winning cups, but yeah Stewert > Datsyuk because Stewert can fight, I agree.

Datsyuk has fought once in his career really to my memory and that was opening night against Corey Perry a last season. He won that tussle although I guess you could call it a split decision. As Hossa pointed out in interviews the next day of course he is good at it he is one of the strongest guys in hockey. They don't want him to fight in Detroit, it isn't because he can't do it, but because it is a stupid way to lose your star player. Stewart isn't as important so he still gets to go frequently. Stewart is more of true heavy weight, but don't fool yourself Datsyuk could throttle a lot of guys in the league, he has incredible balance and strength.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way would have had no problem if Pietrangelo got up himself and took up for it. That response is fine to me as long as Stuart was willing to oblige him and would have been very against the instigator call if that was the case.

By the way on top of just being the right call on the instigator, most guys around the league even the big fighters would call what Stewart did gutless. They hate when guys jump off the bench fresh and challenge them at the end of the shift.

Last edited:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Datsyuk has fought once in his career really to my memory and that was opening night against Corey Perry a last season. He won that tussle although I guess you could call it a split decision. As Hossa pointed out in interviews the next day of course he is good at it he is one of the strongest guys in hockey. They don't want him to fight in Detroit, it isn't because he can't do it, but because it is a stupid way to lose your star player. Stewart isn't as important so he still gets to go frequently. Stewart is more of true heavy weight, but don't fool yourself Datsyuk could throttle a lot of guys in the league, he has incredible balance and strength.

Maybe. He does have a lot of strength, but there's a lot more to fighting than just physical tools (or else Zach Stortini wouldn't suck).

On another note, I say this seriously when I say that I think Corry Perry is the worst fighter in the NHL. I can't say he's ever won a fight in the NHL, save for going with Brian Rafalski.

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
This incident wasn't about it being a big, clean, hit. It was more along the lines of sending a message. If you hit the Blues' star players there will be consequences. It's old school hockey, and I'm loving it.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
It was a stupid play from a guy with no talent other than throwing punches. It was a clean hit, he gave Detroit a pp, which they tied the game on. It's ridiculous that there has to be a fight after every hit these days.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
It was a stupid play from a guy with no talent other than throwing punches. It was a clean hit, he gave Detroit a pp, which they tied the game on. It's ridiculous that there has to be a fight after every hit these days.

Stewart scored 28 goals in each of his last 2 seasons in the NHL. And when he got traded to the Blues, he had 15 goals in 26 games (that's 47 goals in an 82 game season).

Yeah, all he does is fight. Can't find the back of the net. :shakehead

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Looking at the replay of this incident compared to the J.F Jacques one posted early in this thread, my guess is that Stewart will get a couple games suspension for it. Almost carbon copy incidents and Jacques got 5 games. Stewart will probably get 2-3 games.

I really have no problem with what happened. Stuart caught a guy who looked down for a second with a clean hit. Stewart was trying to stick up for his teammate. Only problem was he left the bench on a change and from the full ice angle you can pretty clearly tell his only intention was to start a fight which is something the NHL is trying to get rid of so because of the current rules Stewart will get the suspension in all likelihood. Too bad it isn't the 80s, or this type of play would be perfectly fine still.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Instead of everyone snapping out that a fight happens after a big hit, can we please start applauding players who actually have the balls to back up actions.

Big clean hits lead to concussions, so of course the other team will be pissed off.

If your gonna hammer someone clean or not, you should expect to fight afterwards. Its the guys who can run around hitting and wont fight that are the problem.
Clean hits don't lead to concussions since a clean hit doesn't make contact with the other players head. It's dirty hits, blindside hits, and headshots that lead to concussions. It's incredibly rare to see a player concussed on a totally clean hit unless they have a prior concussion history.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
This incident wasn't about it being a big, clean, hit. It was more along the lines of sending a message. If you hit the Blues' star players there will be consequences. It's old school hockey, and I'm loving it.

An instigator or roughing penalty and an easy powerplay goal or two? I'll take games won to messages sent every time.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH

The only consequences I witnessed were the Wings stepping up and taking over the game. I understand the idea of "sticking up" for your players etc - it is vital. But you have to pick your time and your place.

Stewart isn't a one dimensional player but he should be smarter than that, if anything he just proved how much of a fool he was.

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think a better message would've been to go in and try and smear Kronwall along the back boards. He had the puck. Or trying to destroy Hank, Pav or Lids. He cost his team the game IMO. That fight directly led to the Wings getting a ton of momentum, scoring on the PP and dominating the Blues physically and on the scoreboard the rest of the game. What a good message he sent.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That could be but Stuart is an important player to us. Lets look at it this way if Oshie or Perron landed a clean hit on Kronwall or Lidstrom (wouldn't happen to Lids but sake of the argument), I don't think you would be to enthused if Bert jumped of the bench (arguably another important player just like Stewart, it wasn't Crombeen which I at least appreciated) made no effort to get involved in the play and challenged him immediately then handed to him. I am just glad the Wings made him pay for it, seemed to poke the bear, because Stuart isn't that kind of player and you could tell it upset the Wings bench.

By the way also would have no problem with Pietrangelo who is a big kid in his own right getting up and settling his business himself. If that was the case Stuart should have allowed the fight and taken his medicine. But still have a big problem with a fresh skater coming on to challenge a guy at the end of his shift a big no no in hockey fighting code. He at least could have paid him back later in the game if they still felt aggrieved by the incident and done it with a player much closer in Stuart's weight class and fighting pedigree. That would have been more honorable.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Thanks for making me to come to the 5th page guys, could've put the video first -.-

But anyway, perfectly fine hit and a fight that wasn't needed at all... Surprised to see Stewart **** Stuart that well though

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

No.

That is stupid.

You're stupid.

diehardbluesfan

Mar 8, 2011
Anybody that thinks Stewy will get SD is delusional.

He made a legal line change, I don't get what you don't understand about that. He never jumped on the ice just to go after him, the team made a line change, a legal one so I don't understand why you keep thinking he will be suspended.

If Stuart didn't want to fight, he didn't have to. Wings fans just don't understand this, they think Stewart forced him into fighting, he could of tucked his tail between his legs and ran away like Detroit does quite often, but he wanted to fight just as bad as Stewart so Stewy decided to whoop his ass.

diehardbluesfan

Mar 8, 2011
By the way Stewart threw a lot of punches but hits Brad maybe twice. He also pinned him against the boards and brought him down. He didn't really kick his ass. Looked much worse than it was.

Get your head out of your a$$. Stuart got his ass kicked and only hit Stewart when he was on the ice and the refs were trying to break it up.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Stuart makes a good clean hit.

Hes not a complete non fighter but pretty close too it, hes at the end of a shift and a very good fighter comes on and beats him up when hes dead tired.

Congrats Chris Stewart you cost your team the game, props to Brad Stuart for being on the ice for a minute and still dropping them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad