Post-Game Talk: Another embarrassing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One thing we can all agree on is it’s going to take longer than we’d like for the damage done by Dubas to be fixed.
I can’t imagine there are any Leaf fans out there that aren’t delighted he negotiated himself out of a job here.
Such a waste.
By the time they fix the damage boy wonder inflicted on this organization all the shiny toys will be playing elsewhere, which might be the way to fix this disfunction……..

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
leafs should send sammy to the marlies on a conditioning stint call up Hilderby let him and jones take over till Wolls back or sammy figures it out. also send mcmann down and sign/ call up Keefer bellows give that 4th line a new look add a bit more skill with nhl experience.

going to the marlies game today interested to see who looks good on the farm

Reactions: Drytoast

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
leafs should send sammy to the marlies on a conditioning stint call up Hilderby let him and jones take over till Wolls back or sammy figures it out. also send mcmann down and sign/ call up Keefer bellows give that 4th line a new look add a bit more skill with nhl experience.

McMann is ok .but you do need a goalie who can stop FANTILLY,s Shot
This team isn't a cup contender but u would think SOMEONE running this club would be embarrassed

Reactions: Leterman and Al14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This team isn't a cup contender but u would think SOMEONE running this club would be embarrassed
Not the best example IMO. That was a Matthews like snipe, Fantilly's gonna make a great many goalies look bad like that by the time he's done playing.

Reactions: Nineteen67

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Usually I’m not happy to see a b2b after a struggle week.

But what the hell. Get back out there, screw it. If it’s another tire fire, perfect (not really) but it just proves this team has 0 playoff prep.

No sense selling the farm on em then.

Reactions: Leterman

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Exactly, from Shanahan right up to the MLSE BoD, management is acting like they have seen the future in their crystal ball that shows their Leafs winning the Stanley Cup running away.

Our Leafs aren't consistent enough to even win a single PO round never mind winning 4 PO rounds !!!

Management is INSANE, because they are doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. FFS, if it wasn't for the Dubas power play, even he would still be our GM !!!

FIRE Shanahan and get a NEW leader at the top. They can't do any worse in the long run, and just maybe, a new president at the helm might be able to make the ship cruise buoyant again.

Our Leafs remain holding at FL100 when they need to be soaring to FL500 to achieve Stanley Cup success.

JMHO.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Through a minimum 15 games Samsonov has the 3rd worst save percentage (.861) in the last 20 years. He has been historically bad losing us games we should have won.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I know people want to blame Sammy, and he deserves the stick for 4 goals on 11 shots, he was liquid pig manure last night but who can tell me when is it a good idea to have THREE Leafs below the goal line vs one Blue jacket and then have zero Leafs in the slot to cover the trailer.

This is 100% a systematic breakdown, we dont need just a new goalie, we need a coach who after SIX years can teach a NHL skater that you never ever do whatever that was. THREE on ONE 50/50 play and the ONE wins, HOW THE F does that happen?

I pretty much think this team tunes out Keefe when it comes to strategy or playing a specific system. I think they are just playing the way they want to play and don't care what he says. I doubt the loss of Engvall and Kerfoot would explain the bad habits and attitude. Just look how we give up leads or have half assed efforts in the first periods of games...That's not from missing Kerfoot.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

In my opinion, when you call up virgin goalies from the AHL, it's a 50/50 crap shoot that they start with a tiny hot streak before reality sets in.

I see no reason as to why you couldn't send Sammy down (he's gonna clear waivers) and bring the kid up. Have him play less then 10 games before sending him back down. By then, Woll should be back.

This is really the correct move.

Rushing out and over paying to grab another 3rd string goalie with NHL experience is absolutely the wrong move.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
In my opinion, when you call up virgin goalies from the AHL, it's a 50/50 crap shoot that they start with a tony hot streak before reality sets in.

I see no reason as to why you couldn't send Sammy down (he's gonna clear waivers) and bring the kid up. Have him play less then 10 games before sending him back down. By then, Woll should be back.

Rushing out and over paying to grab another 3rd string goalie with NHL experience is absolutely the wrong move.
Yup, if the kid really struggles you can send him back down before he’s destroyed, also give Samsonov a chance to try and get his game back………

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
In my opinion, when you call up virgin goalies from the AHL, it's a 50/50 crap shoot that they start with a tony hot streak before reality sets in.

Sammy getting claimed is a best case scenario at this point.

Reactions: Drytoast and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I pretty much think this team tunes out Keefe when it comes to strategy or playing a specific system. I think they are just playing the way they want to play and don't care what he says. I doubt the loss of Engvall and Kerfoot would explain the bad habits and attitude. Just look how we give up leads or have half assed efforts in the first periods of games...That's not from missing Kerfoot.
It’s what happens when the lunatics take over the as asylum………

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Through a minimum 15 games Samsonov has the 3rd worst save percentage (.861) in the last 20 years. He has been historically bad losing us games we should have won.

I don't remember seeing a goalie taking this kind of a nose dive
Even Campbell was a gradual fall from grace

But this is on a whole new level.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If it’s just our horrible defensive structure and not bad goaltending, how is it the other two goalies have a combined .915 average and he’s .862. I know ”we’ve never been worse” but if you review the schedule, think how many points we’ve lost because of absolute shit goaltending, I’d argue we’d be in first place with those squandered points. Again, how are these other two able to post decent numbers this year, within a decimated injury d core I might add, given we‘re so awful?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Our Leafs aren't consistent enough to even win a single PO round never mind winning 4 PO rounds !!!

Exactly!

You never know what team you will get on any given night. If only there was some type of position within the organization that could simplify things so that the players could consistently execute the fundamentals of the game. Some sort of teacher or mentor for them.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I know people want to blame Sammy, and he deserves the stick for 4 goals on 11 shots, he was liquid pig manure last night but who can tell me when is it a good idea to have THREE Leafs below the goal line vs one Blue jacket and then have zero Leafs in the slot to cover the trailer.

This is 100% a systematic breakdown, we dont need just a new goalie, we need a coach who after SIX years can teach a NHL skater that you never ever do whatever that was. THREE on ONE 50/50 play and the ONE wins, HOW THE F does that happen?

It's more of a bad break to be honest. Domi is covering the slot but then shifts to behind the net to give Rielly a breakout option because it looks like he has the puck under control. As it turns out he doesn't and the rest is history, but it's really easy to see how something like that can happen.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Scion

May 25, 2012
If it’s just our horrible defensive structure and not bad goaltending, how is it the other two goalies have a combined .915 average and he’s .862. I know ”we’ve never been worse” but if you review the schedule, think how many points we’ve lost because of absolute shit goaltending, I’d argue we’d be in first place with those squandered points. Again, how are these other two able to post decent numbers this year, within a decimated injury d core I might add, given we‘re so awful?
It's both, Samsonov is ass, but our defense also isn't good enough. There is a reason we rank in the bottom third in goals against, xGA, slot shots against, rush shots against etc. The Leafs defense is a rare blend of small and slow which is what happens when you distribute so little cap on the blueline. The good news is that the cap is going up the next two years and we have a GM that knows how to improve defense. Things aren't as dire as people think, this team should be able to retool quickly in the next couple of years.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Exactly!

You never know what team you will get on any given night. If only there was some type of position within the organization that could simplify things so that the players could consistently execute the fundamentals of the game. Some sort of teacher or mentor for them.
There really should be no teaching, it’s the NHL. There should be a system in place, several systems in fact. It’s up to the coach to implement the correct procedure and find the best line combinations.

Reactions: Scion

Scion

May 25, 2012
What did he do that is causing this damage?

Our biggest problem is defensive and goaltending.

I am curious to hear how Dubas signed a bunch of bad defensive players this year (Klingberg, Reaves, Bertuzzi, Domi) and let good ones go, or how he re-signed Samsanov this year...

Complain about the stuff Dubas actually did, he failed here... but our issues here are all new, it has never been this bad.
Dubas never fixed the defense and wasted many assets in the process. As a result we have neither the currency to trade for blueline help or the defenders ready to fill in on the farm. It's frustrating because when Dubas did draft he did an excellent job. Let's also not forget that all of the cap problems on this team stem from Dubas not using the hammer on the Leafs RFA's when he had the chance.

There really should be no teaching, it’s the NHL. There should be a system in place, several systems in fact. It’s up to the coach to implement the correct procedure and find the best line combinations.
I think that is a fair criticism, I also think it's fair to question accountability under Keefe. It's never felt like the top players can do wrong and that has led to issues IMO.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's both, Samsonov is ass, but our defense also isn't good enough. There is a reason we rank in the bottom third in goals against, xGA, slot shots against, rush shots against etc. The Leafs defense is a rare blend of small and slow which is what happens when you distribute so little cap on the blueline. The good news is that the cap is going up the next two years and we have a GM that knows how to improve defense. Things aren't as dire as people think, this team should be able to retool quickly in the next couple of years.
I’m not arguing the D has been great (although with all the injuries, I put an asterisk beside our metrics to date), just this idea it’s the worst and the market in culprit here. If Sammy was at least average, we’d be right there with a Boston and would anyone be complaining? We need to add on D, I don’t dispute that. Been that way for years here.

Reactions: Buds17

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Dubas never fixed the defense and wasted many assets in the process. As a result we have neither the currency to trade for blueline help or the defenders ready to fill in on the farm. It's frustrating because when Dubas did draft he did an excellent job. Let's also not forget that all of the cap problems on this team stem from Dubas not using the hammer on the Leafs RFA's when he had the chance.
The biggest cap issues on this team all have Tre's name on them. Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Reaves have all struggled for their cap hits. Then you have the Kampf resigning which is off to a brutal start and Sammy's horrific start

Dubas didn't fix the D, but he sure did improve it. There was time, cap and assets to improve the D in the offseason, but we bet on secondary scoring (which hasn't delivered) and toughness at a defensive cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad