Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not even in playoff contention at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I put us comfortably in the playoffs. I think looking at the overall roster, we pretty much re-shuffled the deck. I could argue our bottom six looks stronger though. I think looking at other teams in the metro, they all have questions. Pittsburgh is going to be without their #2 best player for a while, and Crosby's going to miss some time. I have to think at some point father time's going to catch up to the Capitals (and Pittsburgh), and their goaltending situation is shaky at best. NYI lost a top 6 winger to the expansion draft, and had to trade away Leddy to shed salary. Philly's bipolar, and all of the remaining teams I don't think have done enough to surpass any team mentioned.

With Carolina, I think they're going to have to rely on players like Svech, Necas, and even Aho to elevate their level of play, which to me will determine if we're going to just be a playoff team or an actual contender. Svech needs to be a 30g scorer, Necas is going to have to be a 60+ pt player. I think Aho has it in him to be a 100 pt player or close to it, and I want him to want it. I feel like this could be one of the years that'll make Aho a top 10 player in the league with where he's at with age and development. Wouldn't surprise me if he scored 40g. Staal's going to have to continue to be a contributor on offense. Whatever KK can bring if everything above happens would be icing on the cake.

The defense is not something I'm overly worried about. I think our pk will remain among the top of the league, but the pp will probably obviously take a hit with the loss of Hamilton. I don't think our 5 on 5 defense will change much either offensively or defensively, or at least not enough to make a difference one way or another.

Goaltending is something I'm not worried about at this point. We were here before with Mrazek and Reimer three years ago when they were written off for their play the previous years and they turned it around. I was never 100 % sold on Ned because as I've stated in other threads he played all his games last year against more defensive-minded teams in the Central, and played Tampa without Stamkos and Kutcherov for the most part. In addition to being undersized for the position, he didn't have to go up against teams like Pitts, NYR, Washington, Boston who always give us trouble.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I think KK elevates his game from the natural peer pressure of his countrymen alone.

Reactions: zman77

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'll make this short and sweet.

-The goaltending concerns me and will until proven otherwise. It could be worse, but man I just don't "feel confident" with this tandem at the moment. I'm trying but man I just can't do it yet. I know Raanta/Andersen are decent to really good but I also worry about if they've peaked. To me, I'd rather have one or the other as the backup but we're rolling with them now so buckle up.

-Short-term, we're worse w/o Dougie. No getting around that IMO. It is what it is though, thanks again for helping to turn this team around and being a fan favorite!

-Will KK prove the critics wrong? He's got the potential but will we see it right here right now?

-I think we may end up missing Foegele and McGinn more than we think but it's not like this team can't find other talent like them.

Other than that, I think short term and long term we're in good shape to remain competitive. Our core of "big guns", the likes of Aho/TT/Svech/Slavin/Pesce/Necas are all still under 30. We've got some intriguing talent in the system already signed to ELCs, we've got a coach who players love and I was dead wrong about, we've got a seasoned vet as Captain who can still pull a big game out of his ass (see Game 5 vs Nashville), and we've got some good depth for the bottom pairing blue liners and forwards.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I say 3rd in the Metro.

1st is possible if Freddie actually is 12th or better goalie here and TDA does put up 40+ points.

5th is possible if the defense and goalies struggle.

Reactions: geehaad

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think we'll be close to a top 5 team and might just squeak into being one but I think we'll be like 6 or 7th overall in the league. I think we're a bit deeper with slightly less high end talent. Last year was a special year that will be tough to replicate in the regular season but getting in is all that matters. Hopefully the real season will be better.

My only prediction at large is that the Islanders are overrated. They are a great postseason team but I bet they're in for a 3rd place in the division or wild card finish.

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I think we are a contender for sure. We shored up our Bottom 6 on offense and our 3rd pair on defense. Those were the biggest areas of weakness for us last year. We constantly had to double shift guys on both sides of the puck.

I am greatly looking forward to having a more deep and balanced team.

I think we solidly make the playoffs.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Congrats to the optimistic 10 of you folks that picked top 5.

Edit: I checked out the folks who voted with me as the bubble but in group and it was VERY unsurprising.

At the end of the day when it comes to polls like this about my own team, I take the choice I think IRL and then knock it down one peg because this team sucks and has been mean to me for 20 years of my life.

But even then I wouldn’t have been in that very smart group of 10, so…

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Guess I missed it. I would have gone with either "bubble team" or "in but not top 5" depending on my mood that day. I thought DeAngelo was going to get run out of town at some point and did not feel good about the goaltending situation.

As you can see, I am an idiot and this is why I do not have a job in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00