Annual 1 vs 16 Thread

Northern Maroon

Feb 21, 2014
Mississauga ON Canada
This is how it would look this year
I would assume the division leaders would get seeds 1-4. The carrot for winning your division should be more than a banner, despite it being an issue for whoever gets 2nd place and more points than another division leader.

Only 2 Cross Conference

Erie vs Saginaw
Kingston vs Oshawa
Sarnia vs Mississauga
Barrie vs Peteborough
London vs SSM
Kitchener vs Owen Sound
Windsor vs Ottawa
North Bay vs Niagara

so second round would be

Erie vs Niagara
Kingston vs Windsor
Sarnia vs Kitchener
Barrie vs London

If the Q can do it, so can the O!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Who honestly cares about division.

Just seed 1-8 based on points and let them play.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Yeah the Q does it because they have 18 teams. I don't really prefer the idea but would certainly scratch the divison winners getting guarenteed top 2 seeds

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Personally I'm mostly fine with the way it is now, I think I'd like to see one small adjustment made. Winning your division should only guarantee you home ice in the first round, nothing more. So this year in the west it would be:

1. Erie vs 8. Saginaw
2. London vs 7. SSM
3. Kitchener vs 6. Owen Sound
4. Sarnia vs 5. Windsor

East playoffs wouldn't change

1 v 16 has the potential for too much travel and a conference final series is more intense than just a "semi final" imo.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This is how it would look this year
I would assume the division leaders would get seeds 1-4. The carrot for winning your division should be more than a banner, despite it being an issue for whoever gets 2nd place and more points than another division leader.

Only 2 Cross Conference

Erie vs Saginaw
Kingston vs Oshawa
Sarnia vs Mississauga
Barrie vs Peteborough
London vs SSM
Kitchener vs Owen Sound
Windsor vs Ottawa
North Bay vs Niagara

so second round would be

Erie vs Niagara
Kingston vs Windsor
Sarnia vs Kitchener
Barrie vs London

If the Q can do it, so can the O!

I am not a big fan of the 1-16 format. For me I value divisional rivalries and would much rather play hated rivals in the playoffs than possibly playing virtual strangers from the other conference.

I'd be more inclined to just go 1-8 in each conference but eliminate the division winners automatically being seeded 1 and 2. It's pretty stupid having Sarnia seeded ahead of London where in some people's eyes finishing 3rd would be better than finishing 1st and finishing 7th is better than finishing 6th.

But if we must go 1-16, then seed everyone 1-16 by points period. For the love of Pete why would you seed the top 4 by division winners??? In your example above, you have London seeded 5th!?!?! That's worse than things are now!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is just no point in having 2 divisions per conference if the top team in the division is not rewarded with a top 2 seed. Until there is a more balanced schedule, there will always be teams that don't deserve their seed and/or place in the playoffs.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
1-8 for each conference for first round.
Reseed after the first round for the entire league, so that the 2 best teams in the league have a chance to play each other in the OHL Finals. eg. London-Erie this year perhaps, Guelph-Erie 3 years ago. Who knows, maybe Kingston and Barrie or Niagara meet in the Finals?
Shouldn't have to be a East vs. West thing.
Just my opinion anywhoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad