Prospect Info: Angus Crookshank 126th

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At 5-on-5 there hasn't been a huge difference in Crookshank and Kelly's AHL production...

Crookshank: 46 points in 127 games [.36 per game], 36 primary points
Kelly: 35 points in 123 games [.28 per game], 28 primary points

Normalized over a 76 game AHL season that's about a 5 point gap. So not much.

What is really going to hurt Crookshank is his lack of defensive utility. There's just not a ton of undersized, offense only, agitator types in the league. Mikey Eyssimont. Nick Cousins. Ryan Lomberg. So it's not impossible to make it, but it's a hard road.
Most of Crookshanks AHL production came as a 23,24 year old Kelly's AHL production was when he was a couple years younger. They are basically the same age; Kelly is full time in the NHL at 23,24... I think Crookshank has a little more offense in him but people discount Kelly's effectiveness in a PK 4th line 2 way role. I would keep Kelly over Crookshank in that role. It will be an up hill battle for Crookshank to get to full time NHL duty.

Reactions: Cosmix

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd consider trading kelly if its for someone with a higher ceiling.

I proposed parker kelly + a mid round pick for nik robertson. I feel like Angus can take that role on the 4th line and i'd rather take a flyer on robertson progressing better than kelly with time.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Trading Parker Kelly for a player like Robertson is exactly what this team doesn’t need.
I like Kelly, I just like Crookshank more. I'd prefer to have them both, but i dont see either of them cracking the top 9 next season. So we got two guys really just fighting for that 4LW spot.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like Kelly, I just like Crookshank more. I'd prefer to have them both, but i dont see either of them cracking the top 9 next season. So we got two guys really just fighting for that 4LW spot.
We should probably just let Crookshank play a few injury call up games before trading away a proven NHL player to make room for him.

I don’t see any reason to rush.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does crookshank kill penalties at the NHL level, if not I think he'll have a hard time cracking the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Does crookshank kill penalties at the NHL level, if not I think he'll have a hard time cracking the NHL.
Don’t see why he couldn’t. It’s not like Kelly started out his nhl career as a unanimous success.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

He just won ahl player of the month. Here's the archive of guys who have won that in the past.

A decent share (> 60%?) went on to NHL careers. Lots of recognizable names.

I think he's a decent bet to make the team next season, especially since he plays a good energy hard-forechecking style game.

Seems like kelly plus some additional offensive ability to me, pehaps minus a bit on the penalty killing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think we need bigger, tougher, more physical players. Watching the LA Kings, it was apparent to me that their size was a benefit and would definitely be needed in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Seemed like a surefire NHLer at one point. maybe he needs to try another organization.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Bsded on his recent stint with the team, where do people see him next season?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Very hard to say.
Possibly traded. Even though I really like him, he may not have a spot depending on who is brought in.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
They’re giving him every chance to showcase himself for next year, playing on a line with Giroux and Stuetzle.

I like what I see, but I’m always biased towards liking young players. I suspect he needs to put up some points in the remaining games for the Sens brain trust to buy in.

Also - in the last 10 minutes or so last night he was replaced by Joseph on that line. Probably just a “trust the vets in a tight game” kind of thing, but could also mean JM was not happy with something he saw.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Belleville. If Norris starts the season hurt maybe he gets a chance but we don’t really have room for him barring a trade from someone in our top 9. Kubalik’s spot is almost surely going to a veteran addition.

I don’t think he has a future with us.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has been noticeable each game, so he is doing his part to stake a claim.

Backchecking, forechecking, creating turnovers, getting under the skin of the other team.

He has speed and a good shot to back it up, so I think the team could see him in the bottom 6.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think he would have a top 9 spot in the top 15 teams in the league and probably more. So in other words to get to be a playoff team he probably isn't on it. In our system Ostapchuk and Jarventie would be ahead of him for me and Ostapchuk could start on the 4th line with zero issues.
I don't think he is a great option to be on your 4th line.

Good tweener player is where he is at to me.

Reactions: PlayOn and DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think we need bigger, tougher, more physical players. Watching the LA Kings, it was apparent to me that their size was a benefit and would definitely be needed in the playoffs.
The kings were also very very talented and coached to a tee.

I don't think he would have a top 9 spot in the top 15 teams in the league and probably more. So in other words to get to be a playoff team he probably isn't on it. In our system Ostapchuk and Jarventie would be ahead of him for me and Ostapchuk could start on the 4th line with zero issues.
I don't think he is a great option to be on your 4th line.

Good tweener player is where he is at to me.
Well we just watched ostapchuk. Projecting out maybe. But at this moment..Crookshank is on another level than ostapchuk. And he should be he’s like 4 years older.

There’s some not so bueno players in top 9s around the league.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They’re giving him every chance to showcase himself for next year, playing on a line with Giroux and Stuetzle.

I like what I see, but I’m always biased towards liking young players. I suspect he needs to put up some points in the remaining games for the Sens brain trust to buy in.

Also - in the last 10 minutes or so last night he was replaced by Joseph on that line. Probably just a “trust the vets in a tight game” kind of thing, but could also mean JM was not happy with something he saw.
I noticed this too. It certainly wasn’t something glaringly obvious. The shift before he was taken off that line him and stutzle worked the boards and crookshank set giroux up for a one timer in the slot.

It may have been like you said of just naturally shortening the bench. Or he may have missed an assignment on the backcheck

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The kings were also very very talented and coached to a tee.

Well we just watched ostapchuk. Projecting out maybe. But at this moment..Crookshank is on another level than ostapchuk. And he should be he’s like 4 years older.

There’s some not so bueno players in top 9s around the league.
Yeah, every year there are guys who perform really well in top 9 roles where before the season, or maybe a year prior, they'd be waived, struggle to get a 7 figure contract/any term, or you'd commonly hear them spoken about as though they barely belonged in the league.

Fit is underrated. Whether Crookshank is a good fit is another story

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, every year there are guys who perform really well in top 9 roles where before the season, or maybe a year prior, they'd be waived, struggle to get a 7 figure contract/any term, or you'd commonly hear them spoken about as though they barely belonged in the league.

Fit is underrated. Whether Crookshank is a good fit is another story
I mean he’s a stalling Wolverine type player with skill. No reason why he can’t be a good fit. He’s working quite well with stu and giroux right now.

And after girouxs goal he had some serious issue finishing lol. Crookshank could have had 2 assists last night easily. Giroux misfired on a couple.

I think next year we’re gonna see either Joseph stutzle giroux or Norris stutzle giroux.

Crookshank Greig Joseph? The problem for Crookshank is that I think management will want an older middle sixer for vet presence. So that third line wing spot is going to be taken by someone like that.

So the big issue is I don’t think there’s going to be any competition in camp. The team will essentially be set.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I noticed this too. It certainly wasn’t something glaringly obvious. The shift before he was taken off that line him and stutzle worked the boards and crookshank set giroux up for a one timer in the slot.

It may have been like you said of just naturally shortening the bench. Or he may have missed an assignment on the backcheck

Could be more to do with the fact that Joseph was really flying and they wanted to get him out there. The 3rd line didn't play as much due to the 4th line going really well.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I mean he’s a stalling Wolverine type player with skill. No reason why he can’t be a good fit. He’s working quite well with stu and giroux right now.

And after girouxs goal he had some serious issue finishing lol. Crookshank could have had 2 assists last night easily. Giroux misfired on a couple.

I think next year we’re gonna see either Joseph stutzle giroux or Norris stutzle giroux.

Crookshank Greig Joseph? The problem for Crookshank is that I think management will want an older middle sixer for vet presence. So that third line wing spot is going to be taken by someone like that.

So the big issue is I don’t think there’s going to be any competition in camp. The team will essentially be set.
This last sentence is where I (optimistically) disagree. Lack of competition has been a hallmark of the Dorion era, it's been the case literally every year, and imo it's the biggest factor that has sunk us. I really hope and believe Staois will work his ass off to change that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad