Confirmed with Link: Andy Greene Named 11th Captain in NJ Devils History

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Knew he was a future captain after that TMZ video of him rounding up the young guys outside the club in LA

I kept thinking back to that as well.

Henrique seemed like a possible candidate this year after seeing him active on social media, going out for the Devils Twitter machine thing, and leading the drills at the pre-season game I was at (plus he's historically been clutch in the playoffs)...though in hindsight, Greene is the obvious choice.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I kept thinking back to that as well.

Henrique seemed like a possible candidate this year after seeing him active on social media, going out for the Devils Twitter machine thing, and leading the drills at the pre-season game I was at (plus he's historically been clutch in the playoffs)...though in hindsight, Greene is the obvious choice.

Rico would have been my second choice, but I feel like Andy is better prepared right now. I would've been happy with either decision, though, because I think Rico could handle the job even if Andy might currently be better suited to it.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
LOL

@TGfireandice: Greene runs team baseball and football pools and somehow always finishes in top 3, so there were joking accusations he rigged player vote.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
When Greene came along in 2006 it was kind of like "Ok, this guy is going to play some D for us".

Who would have thought he'd end up as our unquestioned #1D and eventual captain?

Well deserved for Andy, and also what looks like the best choice for the team.

I think Henrique has a C in his future, and he's got plenty of time to grow towards it.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
When Greene came along in 2006 it was kind of like "Ok, this guy is going to play some D for us".

Who would have thought he'd end up as our unquestioned #1D and eventual captain?

I think Henrique has a C in his future, and he's got plenty of time to grow towards it.

Great post. I agree with you. So nice to see Andy mature to the point where he is now, and it will be awesome to watch where Henrique's New Jersey career takes him.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

He took a while to turn into the guy he is. He was hated around here for a few years.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He took a while to turn into the guy he is. He was hated around here for a few years.

Absolutely, Devils fans took a while to warm up to Greene. He transitioned into the lineup pretty easily with Julien/Lou, but never seemed to gain Sutter's full trust. He really came into his own with Lemaire and when he paired with Sal that year.

I never would have guessed he would become the player he is. Would've thought he'd be a nice middle pairing defenseman at best that could put up points. Never predicted that his defensive game would round out so well.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
no surprise

amd-andy-greene-jpg.jpg

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
TG also said that Elias, Zajac, Cammalleri, Henrique will rotate 'A's. Probably a home and away bit like last year.

Grats to Greene

I picked up a #13 already and took a chance having an A sewn on before this news broke. I figured he'd be the next alternate named once someone got the C and the novelty of #13 being a franchise first seemed like a pretty cool idea for a New Jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad