Injury Report: Andy DTD with kneee injury

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Disagree.

If you're in win now mode you keep the best backup option. Fred has a good 5-6 years before he declines. Making moves based off the potential of Sparks as a backup doesn't fit the plan right now. He looks like an amateur next to Fred he has no chance to succeed him.

Backups are cheap. We wouldn't miss Sparks.

edit- A tad ambiguous at some parts...By best backup option I mean Big Mac.

Backups are cheap, we wouldn't miss 1yr of McElhinney.

"Win now" is not how this regime works. The best way to win is to compete for a decade. Andy has 5-6yrs, then what? We need a goalie development process. Mac only played 1 game in the playoffs last year.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
As bad as it sounds, we have to give Sparks a chance to develop. Do I have faith in him? Not really, but I have been wrong so many times. The backup goalie position is quite easy to replace should the Sparks experiment go wrong.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Backups are cheap, we wouldn't miss 1yr of McElhinney.

"Win now" is not how this regime works. The best way to win is to compete for a decade. Andy has 5-6yrs, then what? We need a goalie development process. Mac only played 1 game in the playoffs last year.

"Win now" is definitely how any regime works within the context of a backup goalie. I'm not saying rush anything in general. Sparks has zero chance to ever be our number 1 goalie unless it's on an emergency basis. It's not like I'm saying to get rid of a blue chip goalie prospect like a 18 year old Rask.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
D

Dubas knew they would get claimed, just like 95% of us did. What he gambled on was that Sparks was the best option of the three and we've yet to see if that's true or not.
He might not know. However, he should prepare for that. Anyway, "Know Your Limit, Play Within It." :popcorn:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
yah well. it didn't have to be forever.
but. i am determined to be optimistic about this.

Sparks will be fantastic.
I like how you are going about this Daisy lol

The bright said is - Sparks cannot be much worse than Andersen. Andersen is a goalie who has extremely poor months, extremely amazing months, and then the majority of the rest are average.
October Andersen is a sieve, so Sparks should be okay even at his worse.
Wish I was as confident. I tried imagining Sparks during that 3rd period vs. Caps while being battered by pucks..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think people are scared because of the tank year when Sparks started 17 games. He showed no improvement over that span, only decline. Leafs had a horrendous team but to not even show a glimpse of adaptation is concerning.

Then he comes back after winning the calder cup and all the rave reviews.... and looks even worse!

The oh noes is justified until he can make everyone feel safe.

I trust even one good game from him will be enough to turn the majority into his friends. You know the drill around here.

Sparks actually started off great that year at 22.

it took 7-8 games before he got buried under an avalanche of tankitude.

edit...just checked....yep:

1st 7gms: .916sv%
Last 10gms: .877sv%

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Here's the chance for Sparks. If he can't carry the mail, I would imagine both McE and Pickard would be put on waivers when Darling and Neuvirth come back. This is only a huge deal in Toronto.

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
As bad as it sounds, we have to give Sparks a chance to develop. Do I have faith in him? Not really, but I have been wrong so many times. The backup goalie position is quite easy to replace should the Sparks experiment go wrong.
So easy we havent been able to fulfill it and are now relying on a career ahler

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think people are scared because of the tank year when Sparks started 17 games. He showed no improvement over that span, only decline. Leafs had a horrendous team but to not even show a glimpse of adaptation is concerning.

Then he comes back after winning the calder cup and all the rave reviews.... and looks even worse!

The oh noes is justified until he can make everyone feel safe.

I trust even one good game from him will be enough to turn the majority into his friends. You know the drill around here.

Sparks is a long shot. It's worse than Scrivens.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Sparks actually started off great that year at 22.

it took 7-8 games before he got buried under an avalanche of tankitude.

edit...just checked....yep:

1st 7gms: .916sv%
Last 10gms: .877sv%

True but that's exactly what I said though lol. I said he only declined, didn't get better and that's all people remember. The trend continued with his second NHL stint.

Only oh noes from Sparks. He needs to earn the trust back. I think that's fair no? If he can't earn the trust back that implies he's costing us games through his performance.

I'll be the first to buy a Sparks jersey if he can prove everyone wrong.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I thank Andy gon be aaaight thursday though. This that dogg day afternoon dirt righ here mayne. We bout to score on these fools, but we still might lose some tonight. Maybe fight some, oh yeah we ain't got fighters. We bout to need some josh anderson, jenner boone or ritchie in our lineup against tough, hard teams like LA tonight. Bank on that thang. I know ice hockey period.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So easy we havent been able to fulfill it and are now relying on a career ahler

The reality is that you don't want McElhinney or Pickard to be the #1 starter for a while if Andy got hurt either. So people are cryin over nothing. McElhinney, Pickard, Sparks are all about the same level.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What's really funny about this post is that both McE and Pickard have both played more games in the AHL than the NHL.

They also gave you something you could sell to a bystandard. What do you have to show with Sparks @Nhl fail highlights?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
"Win now" is definitely how any regime works within the context of a backup goalie. I'm not saying rush anything in general. Sparks has zero chance to ever be our number 1 goalie unless it's on an emergency basis. It's not like I'm saying to get rid of a blue chip goalie prospect like a 18 year old Rask.

Rask wasn't Rask until he became Rask.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The reality is that you don't want McElhinney or Pickard to be the #1 starter for a while if Andy got hurt either. So people are cryin over nothing. McElhinney, Pickard, Sparks are all about the same level.

When Andy goes down you cry lol. I don't think Sparks or no-Sparks changes that.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
What's really funny about this post is that both McE and Pickard have both played more games in the AHL than the NHL.

But what's especially funny is that Curtis McElhinney is one of the worst goaltenders in the NHL.

And posters on this board actually want him.

Holy shit.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
When Andy goes down you cry lol. I don't think Sparks or no-Sparks changes that.

I agree with that. I meant that people are crying over losing McElhinney and Pickard. Both of them are waiver wire fodder, guaranteed that both of them will be on waivers at some point this season.

Reactions: Havoc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad