Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
After the 2015 draft, we came away with one decent D prospect and it wasn't Nielson but Dermott. But after the draft +1 Dermott stagnated a bit while Nielson exploded, being Lethbridge's #1 dman, he was feisty, psychical, punishing and put up great numbers in good part on the powerplay. Now on their draft +2 Dermott still needs seasoning, Nielson has taken another step forward, hes 8th in AHL Dman scoring at age 20. Nielson was taken in the 3rd round in the 2015 draft had very little draft hype but is now our best d prospect. I'll be honest I haven't seen him play too much but I know how he plays. For those that do see him play, how high up is he in the Marlies line up? And how relied upon is he?

Also for obligatory stats that will make you say wow. Heres how Nielson ranks with his peers(+2/-2 years)

Jordan Subban-21 years old .76ppg
Julius Honka-21years old .72ppg
Andrew Nielson-20 year sold .70ppg
Brandon Montour-22 years old .70ppg
Rasmus Andersson-20 years old .67 ppg
Oliver Kylington-19 years old(turning 20) .57ppg
Madison Bowey-20 years old .48ppg
Travis Sanheim-20 years old .46ppg
Ville Pokka-22 years old .42
Joe Hicketts-20 years old .39 ppg
Haydn Fleury-20 years old .35ppg
Vince Dunn-20 years old .33ppg

Nielson is clearly one of the more dominant players, only players above him are Honka and Subban both who are almost 2 years older and in their 2nd or more season in the AHL. Cgy's Andersson comes very close however in terms of age/production.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
What's this talk about Dermott? He's been more than fine.

One has nothing to do with the other.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
After the 2015 draft, we came away with one decent D prospect and it wasn't Nielson but Dermott. But after the draft +1 Dermott stagnated a bit while Nielson exploded, being Lethbridge's #1 dman, he was feisty, psychical, punishing and put up great numbers in good part on the powerplay. Now on their draft +2 Dermott still needs seasoning, Nielson has taken another step forward, hes 8th in AHL Dman scoring at age 20. Nielson was taken in the 3rd round in the 2015 draft had very little draft hype but is now our best d prospect. I'll be honest I haven't seen him play too much but I know how he plays. For those that do see him play, how high up is he in the Marlies line up? And how relied upon is he?

Also for obligatory stats that will make you say wow. Heres how Nielson ranks with his peers(+2/-2 years)

Nielson is clearly one of the more dominant players, only players above him are Honka and Subban both who are almost 2 years older and in their 2nd or more season in the AHL. Cgy's Andersson comes very close however in terms of age/production.

I think Dermott is more ready overall than Nielsen. Nielsen has put up a lot of points, especially on the PP, but Dermott has a better defensive game. Both have a similar physical game.

People are jumping on the Nielsen train because of his point production, but both he & Dermott have a lot more seasoning. The end of the 2018 season would probably be a good target date to see them get their feet wet in the NHL.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's questionable defensively and needs to work on his skating
He's a project a really nice one but still a project
Dermott is solid in all facets of the game he may not have the ceiling that Nielsen has but he's probably a safer bet

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Dermott didn't stagnate at all. I think he took big leaps in rounding out his game as a whole.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Dermott will be better than Nielsen me thinks. And Nielsen projects to be solid top 4 d to me.

I know Lou loves Dermott.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
What's this talk about Dermott? He's been more than fine.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Yea agreed. Dermott didn't stagnate last year, he played great in Erie and had a good WJC compared to most of the other D. He was bad vs London in the playoffs but so was everyone. He looked really good before being injured, and has only played a few games since coming back in which the entire team has struggled.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
dermott is the top 4 defensive dman we're looking for.

This. This x 10.

Can we please wait to call Dermott up before overpaying for a top 4 in a trade?
I can really see Dermott playing as a #4 with Gardiner as soon as next season.
With that said, I don't think management is even thinking of trading for a defenseman.

Now at the same time, Nielsen is that big shot from the point that were all looking for on the powerplay. Kid has a wicked slapper.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Dermott is the safer projection, but Nielsen has top pairing shutdown+offensive potential. He will only get better. His trajectory for development has been insane. Not just offensively. He started hockey a lot older.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't know if Nielsen has so much offensive potential except for his shot from the point. Nielsen will have to prove he can skate and be be mobile to NHL standards to be considered a solid NHL Dman.

That been said. If you believe Reilly and Zaitsev are Leafs long term. Maybe Carrick. Having Valiev, Dermot and Nielsen has NHLer (maybe) in 2018...hey might be solid defence.

Rowse, Lefvere, Gill, Ellett, Macoewn, Nattress, Mitrov (sorry about the poor spelling), not an all star between them but that was a solid group almost 25 years ago.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know if Nielsen has so much offensive potential except for his shot from the point. Nielsen will have to prove he can skate and be be mobile to NHL standards to be considered a solid NHL Dman.

That been said. If you believe Reilly and Zaitsev are Leafs long term. Maybe Carrick. Having Valiev, Dermot and Nielsen has NHLer (maybe) in 2018...hey might be solid defence.

Rowse, Lefvere, Gill, Ellett, Macoewn, Nattress, Mitrov (sorry about the poor spelling), not an all star between them but that was a solid group almost 25 years ago.

His skating will improve along the same trajectory his offensive game did, provided he works with Barbara. His vision is already great as are his offensive instincts. He isn't just all shooting. Great first pass as well.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I try and catch every marlies game I possibly can and Neilsen is absolutely, unoquivocally, very good. The kid is already very smart o the point, has a bomb of a shot (which is actually pretty accurate), very good offensive visor, and above average passing. He does absolutely still need seasoning though, as his defensive angles and first stride are a little lacking. His crossovers need a little work too. Still though, I could see him getting a callup as early as next year and full playing time within 2. I see him topping out as a #3, but I'd love for him to have exponential growth and prove me totally wrong :handclap:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nielsen needs to work on his defensive game more than Dermott. The thing that sucks for Dermott was his high ankle sprain. Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Percy, but Dermott was always better so that should hopefully not happen.

Dermott: More physical and defensively capable Gardiner.
Nielsen: Phaneuf, but a better skater, more disciplined and a better puck mover.

So really you are looking at future 2/3 defensemen if things go right, but since when does that happen? Also neither play RD, which means that most likely they just end up as Gardiner replacements, with Valiev, Greenway, Carrick, Lindgren and many others in the mix to do that as well.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
dermott is a bit ahead right now and its only cause of his skating...very little goons and guys going for big hits nowadays...its all fast and skilled players, being allowed to do what they want as long as they have the speed and skill to do it

your D has gotta skate...you cant even be a solid/good skater anymore, especially on D

if nielsen improves his agility and quickness, he has so much more potential...we're severely lacking offense from the point

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I said during the summer to you Leaf fans you underrated Nielsen (what was he voted your 10th or somewhere in there prospect?). By the way, sorry Leaf fans, get his name right it's Nielsen not Nielson.

Oiler fan, but also big WHL supporter. Nielsen is a beast, I've spoke with 93LEAFS and other Leaf fans about Nielsen and told you guys you're underrating him. I take him over Dermott all day, kid is a beast. Nielsen is your typical WHL, good ole Western Canadian Dman. Big, tough, can fight but also has skills. You can play Nielsen in any situation. He can play on the PP, PK, and at 5 v 5.

His Marlie numbers look damn good, anyone who watches the Marlies frequently can you give a review here?

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Just because NielsEn is looking like a steal doesnt mean you have to downplay Dermott's abilities lol

Only Leafs fans do this..

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
People need to do something better with their life then correct Nielsen's name, like 5 or so people have already said it, do something constructive and stop being annoying.
For those who actually had something worthwhile to say thank you.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I hope and believe management will give Nielsen plenty of time to develop. The sooner he's rushed into the NHL the less his game will be rounded out I feel.

I have a fairly basic knowledge of player's abilities compared to most on here, but the Marlies game I went to he looked like he was still making plenty of naïve mistakes and got caught out trying to be clever on a few occasions. If you rush him I worry that you don't smooth out those edges and end up with a more Franson type who is a big threat on the PP but a potential weakness 5v5. (but obviously not so immobile)

I get the impatience, because there's so much promise, particularly in the forward corps, that we want to add the extra few pieces. But I think it takes as long as it takes and we have to afford Nielsen (and Dermott & Valiev maybe) that time.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Nielsen is a 6'3 Tyler Myers. Not kidding. We got a beauty of a steal with him can't wait until he's with the team once Hunlak are traded at the deadline.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Well those names made me feel old. Dat Todd Gill helmet was beautiful.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This. This x 10.

Can we please wait to call Dermott up before overpaying for a top 4 in a trade?
I can really see Dermott playing as a #4 with Gardiner as soon as next season.
With that said, I don't think management is even thinking of trading for a defenseman.

Dermott is 19. Trading for a defenseman is fine, because that lets us be patient with Dermott. Subban was an NHL regular in his draft+3, Kieth took even longer.

Nielsen is a 6'3 Tyler Myers. Not kidding. We got a beauty of a steal with him can't wait until he's with the team once Hunlak are traded at the deadline.

Patience with the kids! Defensemen take even longer than forwards to develop and look at how much we are giving Kappy and Nylander. Nielsen and Dermott are both great prospects, but they are a few years away from being real impact players for us. Let them keep playing with the Marlies, they don't need to be NHL players yet. We will be rewarded for our patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00