Value of: Andrew Mangiapane

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Has one year left on his deal. Has really declined the past 2 years. Any takers for him? I think the Flames need to move him, he's not worth his cap hit and would really benefit from a change of scenery.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Has one year left on his deal. Has really declined the past 2 years. Any takers for him? I think the Flames need to move him, he's not worth his cap hit and would really benefit from a change of scenery.
He's on pace for 47 points over 82 games and is one third of the best line on the Flames.

I wouldn't say he "declined" - he just had an outlier year where he scored 35.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
His shot and timing haven't been the same since he injured his shoulder in training camp before the 2022/2023 season. Played through it for the entire year for reasons, before having surgery in the summer which meant an off season built more around rehab than training.

Point being, this could be his first summer since said injury to actually focus on training again. So I suspect there's a decent chance his goal scoring rebounds next year and Flames could have an opportunity to sell high next trade deadline. Doesn't hurt either that it's a contract year too.

Reactions: stl76 and Boomstick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I love his game. He should fetch a late to middle first if he is traded.
I really doubt it.

In saying that, Mangi has gotten far too much crap due to unrealistic expectations about what his game should be. No, he hasn't panned out as a top line scoring forward, but he's still a solid middle 6 winger who can drive possession.

Reactions: Boomstick

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I really doubt it.

In saying that, Mangi has gotten far too much crap due to unrealistic expectations about what his game should be. No, he hasn't panned out as a top line scoring forward, but he's still a solid middle 6 winger who can drive possession.

He was never going to be a top line scorer but nobody expected his scoring to fall so much. He still generates chances but he can't convert on any.

With retention and the cap going up, a first at the deadline next year isn't unreasonable.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He was never going to be a top line scorer but nobody expected his scoring to fall so much. He still generates chances but he can't convert on any.

With retention and the cap going up, a first at the deadline next year isn't unreasonable.
He was shooting 20% for a couple years, and is back to a reasonable 11.5% this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mangiapane has only declined if you were dumb enough to think he'd repeat his 35 goal season. By any reasonable expectations, Mangiapane is playing quite well and on pace to improve on last year for his second best season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

He's pacing for 47 pts. That's average second liner stats. Not a major fall from his career high of 55.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's pacing for 47 pts. That's average second liner stats. Not a major fall from his career high of 55.
You know it's bad when we actually agree. :laugh:

I think Toronto and the Rangers could be possible suitors, something built around Lilli or Lindgren could make sense.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I meant his actual goal scoring. Going from 17 and 18 in shortened seasons then to 35 for a full season then back down to the teens over full seasons. He showed much better finish earlier in his career.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I meant his actual goal scoring. Going from 17 and 18 in shortened seasons then to 35 for a full season then back down to the teens over full seasons. He showed much better finish earlier in his career.
Maybe, and perhaps injuries have taken its toll. It could also just be his shooting % normalizing a bit after 2 outlier years. He's averaged around 20 goals a season through his career, and giving his shot volume that seems about appropriate (if anything it would still make him an above average finisher).

He's pacing for a career high in assists. Those matter too.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think he can probably be re-signed for like 4x4.5 so I’d be alright with keeping him if the market for him isn’t great tbh

Versatile guy and he’s good without the puck

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He's settling in as more of a 20/50 guy that pushes possession. He remains a valuable piece, but has fallen short of expectation.

At 50% retention he'd be certainly be a highly sought after and valuable trade chip.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he can probably be re-signed for like 4x4.5 so I’d be alright with keeping him if the market for him isn’t great tbh

Versatile guy and he’s good without the puck
:laugh: he's goanna get close to what he's getting now. 2nd liners don't sign for under 5m any more.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Gotta hope for a much better seller's market for that to be true, guys like Toffoli couldn't return a 1st

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
:laugh: he's goanna get close to what he's getting now. 2nd liners don't sign for under 5m any more.

Yeah probably a bit optimistic on my behalf but I’d be fine with 5x5-5.5. Also good with trading him, but if he’s only getting you a 2nd and a 3rd or something I’d just as soon keep him

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Maybe, and perhaps injuries have taken its toll. It could also just be his shooting % normalizing a bit after 2 outlier years. He's averaged around 20 goals a season through his career, and giving his shot volume that seems about appropriate (if anything it would still make him an above average finisher).

He's pacing for a career high in assists. Those matter too.

I have another POV. Dude is a Samson. He's struggled ever since he got the hair transplant.
Shave it all off dude! Embrace the immense power of the bald!!!

• Haha
Reactions: dumbdick

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
MTL could sure use a guy like Mangiapane,

Could CGY first + a young D like Struble could interest CGY ?

• Haha
Reactions: Nanuuk

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Mangiapane has only declined if you were dumb enough to think he'd repeat his 35 goal season. By any reasonable expectations, Mangiapane is playing quite well and on pace to improve on last year for his second best season.
His goal scoring rates still are pretty bad compared to the start of his career, not just his top season
18/19 -15 goal pace
19/20 -21 goal pace
20/21 -26 goal pace
21/22 -35 goals
22/23 -17 goals
23/24 -16 goal pace

Wonder if there’s any truth to him still having lingering shoulder issues, because even excluding his outlier season he was seeing positive year over year improvement before this season and last. Just from the eye test he is still generating looks but he is allergic to capitalizing on them this season and last.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
His goal scoring rates still are pretty bad compared to the start of his career, not just his top season
18/19 -15 goal pace
19/20 -21 goal pace
20/21 -26 goal pace
21/22 -35 goals
22/23 -17 goals
23/24 -16 goal pace

Wonder if there’s any truth to him still having lingering shoulder issues, because even excluding his outlier season he was seeing positive year over year improvement before this season and last. Just from the eye test he is still generating looks but he is allergic to capitalizing on them this season and last.
Pace doesn't mean shit. You can't score when you're not playing, and earlier in his career he wasn't facing as difficult of competition

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad