Recalled/Assigned: Andrew MacWilliam on Emergency Basis

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We have a very young D-core now. Carolina should be able to expose MacWilliam/Holzer/Granberg. Good for the tank. Plus we get to see what we have in him and in this group

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Our defense is worse than Buffalo's lol. That last pairing especially...it's barely AHL quality.

everyone needs to do their part for the tank.

the only better news would have been if rielly couldnt go because of the flu. this is a must lose game against the canes,

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Glad we're giving him a chance. He's been a warrior for the Marlies these past two seasons, sporting the A on his jersey

I haven't a clue how effective he will be at the NHL level in the long term, but he does know how to throw a hit. If he keeps it responsible it will be fun watching the bodies hit the floor.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
At the start of the year we had: Phaneuf, Rielly, Franson, Robidas, Gardiner, Polak, Percy. Looked like a jogjam.

Just didn't seem like there'd be spaces for Holzer, Granberg, Mac.
I'm happy to see them though.

Granberg came up towards the end of last year and played so well fans were slotting him in the roster for this year. It's not a stretch to see him up here.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
MacWilliam looked awful at camp, I havnt watched the marlies much this year - how has he been?

Granberg is a tweener imo, Mac looks worse

Also if anyone honestly thinks Holzer is better than Polak, good lord. Polak is the only solid option on the blue line right now, if the leafs do actually move him the tank will get to mcdavid levels (though ultimately I think he is better served helping rookies during the rebuild).

I agree he pinches too much but thats a small price to pay and I still think hes adapting from STL who activate their D a ton.

Also the Dion haters just give it up, Holzer better than him? idiotic

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Is Phaneuf's hand injury legit ?

Frankly I don't think it's legal for the doctors to keep him on the IR if he isn't injured because the insurance pays him for being out and the Leafs get his cap to use while he is on the IR.

If it is legal putting Clarkson on the IR for the next 5 years would basically get him off the books and we could then use his cap until his contract is up, I'm sure many teams would not go along with that strategy

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
MacWilliam looked awful at camp, I havnt watched the marlies much this year - how has he been?

I think it is fair to say that Percy is the sexiest player in the bunch (Project #2 - #4 D). Behind him there is lots of hope for Finn, although it is too soon so say. Loov and Nilsson should both project to be NHL players, but is seems Loov is making more of an immediate impression as a potential #3 or #4 of the future.

Holzer, Granberg, MacWillian, and Knodel all fall below that first group on the depth chart, but that doesn't mean they are bad players, or even incapable of playing NHL games. The career potential for all of them probably falls between #5 D and #10 D.

Mac hits hard and has leadership qualities. I see no issues with taking a look. But he is certainly in that lower grouping overall. Not a top 4. Which is fine. Best to know who the best #5 / #6 guys are for the future.

Last edited:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Also if anyone honestly thinks Holzer is better than Polak, good lord. Polak is the only solid option on the blue line right now, if the leafs do actually move him the tank will get to mcdavid levels (though ultimately I think he is better served helping rookies during the rebuild).

I agree he pinches too much but thats a small price to pay and I still think hes adapting from STL who activate their D a ton.

Love Polak's game in general, but Rielly shouldn't be cleaning up after his mistakes as often as he is. I'm not sure who's sheltering who on that pairing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Love Polak's game in general, but Rielly shouldn't be cleaning up after his mistakes as often as he is. I'm not sure who's sheltering who on that pairing.

Rielly is improving Polaks game in a very large way....Polaks Possessions stats have gone up a lot.

I like parts of Polaks game.....but he thinks that he is a offensive D man and takes far to many risks offensively. He is a very hard D man to play with as he makes strange reads and will go a long way to make a hit leaving his man to others.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Rielly is improving Polaks game in a very large way....Polaks Possessions stats have gone up a lot.

I like parts of Polaks game.....but he thinks that he is a offensive D man and takes far to many risks offensively. He is a very hard D man to play with as he makes strange reads and will go a long way to make a hit leaving his man to others.

Yup. No doubt Polak brings a vet presence to the pairing but...

Polak without Rielly: 42% possession

Polak with Rielly: 49% possession

Rielly is having a pretty big impact on Polak's game. It's been even more evident as of late.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Yup. No doubt Polak brings a vet presence to the pairing but...

Polak without Rielly: 42% possession

Polak with Rielly: 49% possession

Rielly is having a pretty big impact on Polak's game. It's been even more evident as of late.

Probably has more to do with the matchups he's getting with Rielly off the ice than anything. Rielly wasn't getting tough minutes under Randy.

Number13

May 21, 2007
The same guy they're going to let overpay for Bernier. Nothing has changed except some of the faces.

Any good moves the Leafs make = must've been Shanny or Dubas!

Any bad moves the Leafs make = Stupid Nonis!

Come on, this narrative is getting so tiring.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Is Phaneuf's hand injury legit ?

I wonder that too!

If he does have a broken bone in his hand, let us know that, otherwise, how can he sit, game after game, without any proof whatsoever that his hand is injured!

As far as I'm concerned, he has a BRUISED EGO, and, he is choosing to sit and pout until after the trade deadline!

His value in a trade is dropping every single game he sits!

:rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad