Value of: Andrew Copp

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Hard to say. If we had gotten better draft capitol at the deadline from the guys we moved I'd be more inclined to make an offer but honestly it's hard to say.

I'd not spend a first on Copp especially not ours which is a lottery pick. But Jets fans would be within their rights to seek a 1st especially given the recent returns on guys like Goodrow/ Coleman (granted that was at the deadline). I'd argue Copp is as valuable if not more so than those two. But Sabres can't possibly meet that price.

Then you can look at guys like Mitts who a straight swap could make sense. Mitts is cheaper while Copp will get a raise but Sabres fans might be hard pressed to give up Mitts for a 3C type who is gonna be more expensive to a team with little cap to work with as is.

I have no interest in trading Samulesson, Peterka, Pekar etc aka our recent 2nds.

so I can't really answer your question. I guess the Boston 2nd for starters and work it out from there is the best I can do to answer your question.

No interest in mittelstadt. At all.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
No interest in mittelstadt. At all.
Mittelstadt has had a bit of a coming out party with Buffalo over the past couple weeks, I bet they'd hold onto their guy and see what they have there, not trade him for a middle 6 guy having a career year who is going to get a questionable contract.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Copp this year has big Matt Belesky energy. Buyer beware.

How? He seems more like a Hyman/Rust player who was fairly skilled as a younger prospect but cut his teeth being an awesome grind line kinda dude before everything coming together offensively at a new level where he has the game to compliment more skilled guys. Which gives him incredible role and positional versatility.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I really hope the Jets can sign Copp to a reasonable extension AND have him on the protected list for expansion.

Reactions: TS Quint

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I really hope the Jets can sign Copp to a reasonable extension AND have him on the protected list for expansion.

Doesn't it basically comes down to:

- Re-sign Copp to a new long-term deal, leave Appleton exposed in the expansion draft - with him likely getting taken (I guess maybe DeMelo would be of some interest too assuming the Jets protect Stanley...but to me Appleton is a prime guy to pick for Seattle - youngish with a versatile game and upward trajectory).

Or

- Trade Copp for significant asset(s) and protect Appleton, banking on his continued growth to fill a Copp-esque role for a fraction of the price that Copp's new deal will be while stocking assets and saving cap space.

I don't think there is any chance the Jets simply let Seattle taken Copp.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

- Re-sign Copp to a new long-term deal, leave Appleton exposed in the expansion draft - with him likely getting taken (I guess maybe DeMelo would be of some interest too assuming the Jets protect Stanley...but to me Appleton is a prime guy to pick for Seattle - youngish with a versatile game and upward trajectory).

Or

- Trade Copp for significant asset(s) and protect Appleton, banking on his continued growth to fill a Copp-esque role for a fraction of the price that Copp's new deal will be while stocking assets and saving cap space.

Also what wpg wants to trade copp, Samberg 1st for a great d and leave demelo and Stanley unprotected. Obviously very wishful thinking probably not realistic.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

Or

I'd be happy with either of those

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The other good thing about Copp for the Jets is when Lowry has been injured he fills in really nice as a 3C and helps make others better. My fear is that Copp's agent is hell bent on forcing Copp out of Wpg. When Copp has scored this season I often wished it was someone else to take away ammo from his contract demands. But then I think if we are forced to move him that all those extra goals will come in handy.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Copp's new offense is mostly for real. He can be a very solid 3rd line centre and can contribute as a second line winger & #2 PP net front guy. He will likely be looking for a much bigger deal than Lowry just signed.

If he is traded before the expansion (which I suspect) he should appeal to any team that does not have Winnipeg's forward depth.
If the Jets can get a BIG young-ish top 4 RD for Copp+ , that would be great.

Otherwise, I'd hate to lose Appleton who wouldn't be protected.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Mittelstadt has had a bit of a coming out party with Buffalo over the past couple weeks, I bet they'd hold onto their guy and see what they have there, not trade him for a middle 6 guy having a career year who is going to get a questionable contract.
He is for sure getting a "questionable" contract?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Or

Jets are going to lose a decent / good player in the expansion draft. Most likely Appleton, maybe Stanley (unless they protect him over DeMelo). They will not leave Copp unprotected. If they trade Copp before the draft for a defenseman, then they have to expose BOTH DeMelo and Stanley.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Prior this year Copp has been sparingly used in the top 6. Like a few games a year, if that. This year he's been given more of an opportunity in the top 6 and production shows. He's also been on pp2 which has been dynamite for the Jets. He's typically a strong fwd defensively and usually, relative to the team, rates pretty well in the shot or goal share stats. Can play c or w, and pk. He's a good, smart player. He doesn't play an overly flashy game of a typical top 6er, but he just gets shit done. Substance over style.

I think 4ishM is far for him. He's more consistent offensively year to year than Lowry, and can produce when given top 6 or pp opportunity. Lowry was given that years ago and didn't really explode offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00