Friedman: Andrei Markov to the KHL - Habs refused 1 year deal

ijuka

May 14, 2016
you do if hes demanding more than hes worth.

Nope, that's not correct. UFAs and asset-free players still can't be allowed to walk. You compare players like Marleau and Markov - I'd much rather have Markov for that amount of money. And are Habs even going to spend up to cap? You know the team can afford it, they print money.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Markov's cap hit was $5.75M and it's been that way for years. But his salary last season was $4m and change. There's no way at his age that any GM was going to give him a raise on that $4M something.

Bergevin has 9 defensemen. Giving Markov $6M for one season means he loses any leverage he has in a trade for a center. That's the team's biggest need. Based on what Markov said, he was asked to wait until September to give Bergevin time to see if he can land a center. If he couldn't, he'd circle back to Markov. But I completely side with Bergevin here.

With 9 defensemen and $8.5M or so of cap space left, sort out the center issue. There are several teams with cap issues who have to resolve them somehow. We have picks and prospects to give without the need to give back any salary. There aren't many teams with that profile who can compete right away.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the left side of our defense. Davidson is no slouch, Alzner isn't Karlsson or Subban but he's OK at moving the puck. Schlemko is solid. All we need is one of Jerabek or Morrow to be a good 7th. I think the D is underrated. Even Benn can play left side and did great there in the playoffs.

Get a center.

May I ask what teams are in cap hell and which of those teams have a #1C available? Teams fixed their caps months ago.
Rarely do I see teams cut the cap with #1C/#2C's and Montreal doens't have trade assets.

+I heavily disagree with your view on that defense, it's worse than it was and the worst thing is it's not getting better.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Terrible off season that started with a decent trade and went downhill from there. Bergevon lost both of his gambles in Radulov and Markov and now we still dont have any centers but HEY, we have cap space!!! :sarcasm:

The only relief is that it will be Bergevin's last season unless he pulls a miracle out of his arse with that cap space

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Markov's cap hit was $5.75M and it's been that way for years. But his salary last season was $4m and change. There's no way at his age that any GM was going to give him a raise on that $4M something.

Bergevin has 9 defensemen. Giving Markov $6M for one season means he loses any leverage he has in a trade for a center. That's the team's biggest need. Based on what Markov said, he was asked to wait until September to give Bergevin time to see if he can land a center. If he couldn't, he'd circle back to Markov. But I completely side with Bergevin here.

With 9 defensemen and $8.5M or so of cap space left, sort out the center issue. There are several teams with cap issues who have to resolve them somehow. We have picks and prospects to give without the need to give back any salary. There aren't many teams with that profile who can compete right away.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the left side of our defense. Davidson is no slouch, Alzner isn't Karlsson or Subban but he's OK at moving the puck. Schlemko is solid. All we need is one of Jerabek or Morrow to be a good 7th. I think the D is underrated. Even Benn can play left side and did great there in the playoffs.

Get a center.

Well said - I agree

wesleysnipe

Jul 2, 2017
May I ask what teams are in cap hell and which of those teams have a #1C available? Teams fixed their caps months ago.
Rarely do I see teams cut the cap with #1C/#2C's and Montreal doens't have trade assets.

+I heavily disagree with your view on that defense, it's worse than it was and the worst thing is it's not getting better.

You have a crystal ball? you know exactly how schlemko will be in mtl you know exactly how jerabek (puck moving D ) will play?..Benn since being traded to mtl played very well i am very surprised hes very solid..

Dont hold your breath..mtl still a top team in the division and will make the playoff again..and with price in net anything can happen

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You have a crystal ball? you know exactly how schlemko will be in mtl you know exactly how jerabek (puck moving D ) will play?..Benn since being traded to mtl played very well i am very surprised hes very solid..

Dont hold your breath..mtl still a top team in the division and will make the playoff again..and with price in net anything can happen

I just can't understand this Bergevin defending. The names you are naming on a "contender" are depressing to read, or atleast should be.

Offense, not elite,
Defense, not elite, sure anything can happen :sarcasm:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Nope, that's not correct. UFAs and asset-free players still can't be allowed to walk. You compare players like Marleau and Markov - I'd much rather have Markov for that amount of money. And are Habs even going to spend up to cap? You know the team can afford it, they print money.

i believe by the deadline they will be very close to the cap. there is no need to spend it b4 the season starts. then you are handcuffed. who knows what teams will be out of it selling their players. bergevin is smart to be patient here. especially if the roster as it is can make the playoffs.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There is reason, actually. UFAs are UFAs - they are free of assets.

At the trade deadline, the competition will be fierce and prices high. You often have to overpay for a few months of contribution and also have to give up significant assets.

I just don't see why you'd specifically choose to buy on the trade deadline instead of the offseason if you had the choice. Unless you were unsure of whether you were going to be a buyer or a seller, I guess...

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I just can't understand this Bergevin defending. The names you are naming on a "contender" are depressing to read, or atleast should be.

Offense, not elite,
Defense, not elite, sure anything can happen :sarcasm:

i read in another thread that muzzin could be had for a top 6 winger. not sure how true that is but for example something like gallagher and a third or even a second would result in

muzzin weber
alzner petry
schlemko benn

THAT WOULD BE ELITE.

HABS ARE A TOP 4 LD AWAY FROM BEING ELITE ON DEFENSE WITH A TOP 3 GOALIE IN THE GAME.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i read in another thread that muzzin could be had for a top 6 winger. not sure how true that is but for example something like gallagher and a third or even a second would result in

muzzin weber
alzner petry
schlemko benn

THAT WOULD BE ELITE.

HABS ARE A TOP 4 LD AWAY FROM BEING ELITE ON DEFENSE WITH A TOP 3 GOALIE IN THE GAME.

That's still not elite and would just make the offense even worse.

Should have just signed Markov and keep that forward if that was the plan.

Last edited:

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg

muzzin weber
alzner petry
schlemko benn

THAT WOULD BE ELITE.

elite or élite
[ih-leet, ey-leet]

noun
(often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

That D ain't that.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Get a center.

So wrong in so many ways and the fact you agree with Bergevin is sad. Why should Markov worry about his future until September? The team should have had him signed a long time ago and that's all on Bergevin.

How does Bergevin lose leverage by signing Markov? First of all have Markov been signed like he should have been, Streit would never have been signed. Giving up picks and prospects (from a very shallow prospect pool) is why this team is circling the drain right now. They gave up their best prospect and didn't fill a position of need and instead got an overrated Drouin.

You are living in a dreamworld with a cup of Bergevin Kool-Aid if you think Alzner is a good puck moving dman. That Davidson and Shelmko are more than 3rd paring guys. Having 9 dmen signed does not mean that they are good dmen. Most are average to below average at best.

You won't get a top talent at center with picks and the Habs prospect pool. The team would have to give up something from the lineup which means creating another hole to fill one. And that is without filling the need for a top pairing puck moving dman.

So no, this off season has not been good in any way, shape or form.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

muzzin weber
alzner petry
schlemko benn

THAT WOULD BE ELITE.

How the heck is this elite? While Muzzin would be an improvement, he did take a huge step back last season and the team would have to hope it was a temporary blip and not the start of an ongoing slide.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Well I suppose if you look at the list of needs for Montreal's roster then ya, D isn't at the top of the list.

But when the season gets underway, teams that have a lot of speed up front could have a field day with that D as it currently stands.

Are we slow because we didn't resign Markov??

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
End of an era in Montreal. Markov's been a good 1 for them for yrs. His leaving will be felt for sure.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
How the heck is this elite? While Muzzin would be an improvement, he did take a huge step back last season and the team would have to hope it was a temporary blip and not the start of an ongoing slide.

Ongoing slide?? At 27 years old??

I don't think so. It's like saying Duchene is done.

Everyone had a pretty bad season in LA last year, even Doughty and Kopitar.

Muzzin is probably not the best fit for Weber but i would be really pleased with a top 6 like that

Muzzin, Alzner, Schlemko >>> Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu.

I would trade Gallagher for Muzzin every day of the week, twice on sunday.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Are we slow because we didn't resign Markov??

Speed isn't just about how fast you skate but also about how quickly you process the game. Markov is a really smart player who processes the game at a very high level. That's how he's been able to stay productive in spite of his lack of speed and mobility.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Speed isn't just about how fast you skate but also about how quickly you process the game. Markov is a really smart player who processes the game at a very high level. That's how he's been able to stay productive in spite of his lack of speed and mobility.

Yeah but there is offensive production and there is defensive awarness. The fact of the matter is Markov is struggling backchecking and didn't show as much in the D-zone. People saying Markov hasn't regress are lunatics.

i agree though we will miss his first passes and transversal passes on PP. But Markov wanted to cash in on a situation and Bergevin just said GTFO. No way he was deserving a raise while regressing and aging.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ongoing slide?? At 27 years old??

I don't think so. It's like saying Duchene is done.

Everyone had a pretty bad season in LA last year, even Doughty and Kopitar.

Muzzin is probably not the best fit for Weber but i would be really pleased with a top 6 like that

Muzzin, Alzner, Schlemko >>> Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu.

I would trade Gallagher for Muzzin every day of the week, twice on sunday.

He is 28 actually but had two 40 point seasons after none before and say a serious point drop and a terrible +/- last season.

At best Muzzin, Alzner, Schlemko = Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah but there is offensive production and there is defensive awarness. The fact of the matter is Markov is struggling backchecking and didn't show as much in the D-zone. People saying Markov hasn't regress are lunatics.

i agree though we will miss his first passes and transversal passes on PP. But Markov wanted to cash in on a situation and Bergevin just said GTFO. No way he was deserving a raise while regressing and aging.

I say people who act like Markov had totally regressed and it a shallow fraction of his former self of lunatics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad