Player Discussion Andreas Dackell

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You guys remember him? Was he any good for the Senators? Played 401 games for this team.

andreas-dackell_50ewowp63gml1a0saol78gna5.jpg

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
all I can think of when I hear his name is when Lindros broke his face

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Good along the boards, defensively responsible, not much offense. I think (but memory is hazy) he played on an effective line with Yashin and McEachern which was called The Ministry of Offense.

Pretty much. Although the Minister of Offence was pretty much Yashin, he made a goal scorer out of McEachern. Cashin' Yashin was one of those players who didn't gel well with other star players, but excelled being the top dawg playing with jabronies. Because of his holdouts and general assiness wrt to that whole NAC donation debacle (he supposedly just wanted to create a job position for his mom or something), he is pretty underrated here. One of the best players Sens in history in the regular season, who disappeared during post-season when the physical/dirty era was at its peak. Also gave us Chara and Spezza :-D.

Back to Dackell, he was a complementary line mate to Yashin, playing well to make that line work by being the defensive conscience. Meh'ish.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Pretty much. Although the Minister of Offence was pretty much Yashin, he made a goal scorer out of McEachern. Cashin' Yashin was one of those players who didn't gel well with other star players, but excelled being the top dawg playing with jabronies. Because of his holdouts and general assiness wrt to that whole NAC donation debacle (he supposedly just wanted to create a job position for his mom or something), he is pretty underrated here. One of the best players Sens in history in the regular season, who disappeared during post-season when the physical/dirty era was at it's peak. Also gave us Chara and Spezza :-D.

Back to Dackell, he was a complementary line mate to Yashin, playing well to make that line work by being the defensive conscience. Meh'ish.
Nick Paul is the last player we have that we can still trace back to Yashin!

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Dacks was a solid player , good defensive minded player and perfect compliment to Yashin / McEachern line.
He was pretty good a digging the puck out and feeding it to his line mates as I recall.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Pretty much. Although the Minister of Offence was pretty much Yashin, he made a goal scorer out of McEachern. Cashin' Yashin was one of those players who didn't gel well with other star players, but excelled being the top dawg playing with jabronies. Because of his holdouts and general assiness wrt to that whole NAC donation debacle (he supposedly just wanted to create a job position for his mom or something), he is pretty underrated here. One of the best players Sens in history in the regular season, who disappeared during post-season when the physical/dirty era was at its peak. Also gave us Chara and Spezza :-D.

Yashin started out being a force in the playoffs. He struggled against the Leafs. They shadowed him all game long.

Yashin is also one of the nicer players I've ever come across. Amazing player.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Good player. For about 15 minutes people thought he might be the next Alfie (late round, overage, instant NHL player). He was not.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Got to know him a little, saw him at his house, the day after the Lindros hit, was not pretty.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Got to know him a little, saw him at his house, the day after the Lindros hit, was not pretty.

I remember the hit like yesterday, to me Lindros leapt on his feet to hit Dackell from the side to paste him against the boards like a fly swatted against the wall. Dackell saw the hit, so he wasn't blindsided but couldn't do anything about it as he was making the play to take the hit (bad move when you know who is coming at you). Lindros lived and eventually died by the sword, that hit gets him a suspension in today's NHL. Nothing the Jacques Martin era "turn the other cheek" Sens could do anything about. This was when Chris Murray was the "tough guy" and he wasn't very good.

Dackell left on a stretcher and had no recollection of the hit.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There's been some good feedback on him here, but some key points:

-He was a pretty important player for the team as it transitioned from perennial bottom feeder to playoff contender. These older mid round picks that were able to come in and contribute was how the team was able to overcome its budget restrictions, and Dackell was one of the important ones.

-He was versatile and could move up and down the lineup. As others said, perfect Jacques Martin player.

-While he was always a complimentary player, for the longest time, he was the highest scoring player out of his 1996 draft year. Yes, he was an overager, and it was a weak draft year, but it held until at least the early 2000s I believe.

Injuries ended up limiting his career, but, there's few players that better summarize that period of Sens history.

Reactions: DrEasy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I remember the hit like yesterday, to me Lindros leapt on his feet to hit Dackell from the side to paste him against the boards like a fly swatted against the wall. Dackell saw the hit, so he wasn't blindsided but couldn't do anything about it as he was making the play to take the hit (bad move when you know who is coming at you). Lindros lived and eventually died by the sword, that hit gets him a suspension in today's NHL. Nothing the Jacques Martin era "turn the other cheek" Sens could do anything about. This was when Chris Murray was the "tough guy" and he wasn't very good.

Dackell left on a stretcher and had no recollection of the hit.
I was at that game, it was disturbing.

one thing people may not remember is that someone else on the Sens — maybe Chris Murray — had taken a pretty good run at Lindros a few seconds before he hit Dackell. IE, Lindros was pissed and was looking to take it out in someone and Dackell just happened to be the guy.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad