Player Discussion Andre Burakovsky

Will Burakovsky be a Capital in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You know what happened to Conno?

Eller. Puck hog and possession fiend, he did the dirty work for Conno and helped him find a place in this league. Conno sucked on the boards when he got here. He never passed. Never checked. He just.... scored goals, given a chance to find a soft spot to wait for his chance, to shoot.

Eller was THE perfect linemate for him. After he gained the trust of coaches and his confidence grew, he has felt comfortable enough to go outside his comfort zone, and added to his game. Quite nicely I may add. The skill level was always there, he just needed to find a spot with linemates that supported his game. Since so many NHLers bust, I think GMs are quick to write guys off. It seems like everyone except for a few of us, wanted to write off Bura. Without PP time or ideal linemates, its tough for some to meet scoring expectations.

It's a great story. I think without an Eller type, he will not be quite as successful.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Edit: That goal last night was not a "no help" goal. He got a solid pass. It was a 2 on 1. He did make the play himself but that defenseman clearly sold out trying to prevent the pass and opened the door for that move by Connolly. That partner on the 2 on 1 is help.

This is true. I just meant that everyone knew that Connolly could finish, just had to get setup most times. That's why this goal made my jaw drop. I guess it was bad wording. Instead of "no help", I meant that he made the move himself before finishing.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
There was one really beautiful goal that Connolly scored in his first season with the Capitals, one that reminded me of Alex Semin... forget which game it was. Took a drop pass inside the blue line, faked a slapper and then went bar down from long distance.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There was one really beautiful goal that Connolly scored in his first season with the Capitals, one that reminded me of Alex Semin... forget which game it was. Took a drop pass inside the blue line, faked a slapper and then went bar down from long distance.

Nice pull. I bet Brian remembers that goal. And may even have had a hand in bringing him back for the next year.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Nice pull. I bet Brian remembers that goal. And may even have had a hand in bringing him back for the next year.

BMac sees the past. He sees the present. He sees the future. He's the real Three Eyed Raven.

DistantDelightfulFlyingfox-max-1mb.gif

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Its a stretch to say he is BY FAR THE BEST PLAYER in the league... lets pull the anti lock brake fuse and go old school, and pump the brakes a little bit on that one.

Interesting you bring up Chimera. When he got a flat tire, he was dead in the water and it was easy to see. It would last months. I think the famous Brooks Laich quote I often reference about "injury is what is making a player not play to the standards fans hold them to" was when asked by a fan calling into 106.7 - "what is wrong with Chimera???"

At the root of Hagelin's skill set is his speed. Any lower body is going to take him back a notch. Maybe even blocking a shot on the PK. He isn't a big guy to start with. I will say it again. Hagelin's a great bottom 6 PK vet with speed. But we won the cup without him. If we don't win it with him at full health this year, is it really wrong to let him hit FA? The rest of the team is virtually the same.

This. I really like Hagelin and what he brings to the team, his speed and his hockey sense. But we all know a couple of the "kids" will need to play next year due to the salary cap situation. One of those possibilities is Beck Malenstyn who has good speed, mobility and not just straight line speed, plays a very physical game and shows incredible hockey sense for a young rookie. He's also the top penalty killer in Hershey in all situations. He'd be a perfect fit for a checking line and would provide much needed penalty killing should Hagelin leave. Garret Pilon is another player that may not be far away from being able to play in the NHL. Good speed, excellent hands, gives 110%, and shows hockey "smarts". The Caps are going to need to plug in a few youngsters such as these next year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This. I really like Hagelin and what he brings to the team, his speed and his hockey sense. But we all know a couple of the "kids" will need to play next year due to the salary cap situation. One of those possibilities is Beck Malenstyn....

Excellent reporting from Hershey as per usual. About Beck, I immediately noticed him in camp... he was the only one hitting so I became an instant fan. I am thrilled he is doing well in Hershey - that is the type of scouting report that the internet lacks. If he is in the big leagues next year, you were the first to call it.

"good speed, mobility and not just straight line speed, plays a very physical game and shows incredible hockey sense for a young rookie. He's also the top penalty killer in Hershey"

I need to start a website that provides proper info on players, just like that. That don't blindly focus on GA and Pits and other vague info, in every season they ever played.

It's too bad he didn't get a shot before we spent to get Hagelin.

Is it safe to assume he doesn't shy away from the occasional scrap?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He usually plays smart and steps away providing the Bears with a power play. But he will drop the gloves if needed. I think he's been in 2 scraps this year. He can throw them.

Philip Samuelsson vs. Beck Malenstyn, February 02, 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms vs. Hershey Bears

Hell yeah he can thanks for the link!

I had guessed that we had some guys in Hershey that should be able to eventually fill Hagelins skates, if even to a lessor degree. Guys cut from the same cloth - fast PK. I figured with our lack of top 6 prospects, we just HAD to have future bottom 6 guys getting seasoned in Hersh, stuck behind a cup grade team.

I like that Beck has more than straight line speed. These big kids need to be able to skate.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Oh wow. That fight video I really like. Thanks.

Definitely agree on Eller happening to Conners. Eller as been so damn good lately. His advanced stats over the last while would have to be through the roof.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I think the Cup run really did wonders for Connolly’s confidence and also showed him the light as far as work rate and paying closer attention to the little things. He’s a more mature, focused and confident player this year. Earning the ultimate validation last spring certainly has a lot to do with that imo.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the Cup run really did wonders for Connolly’s confidence and also showed him the light as far as work rate and paying closer attention to the little things. He’s a more mature, focused and confident player this year. Earning the ultimate validation last spring certainly has a lot to do with that imo.

Good point. The sheer number of additional games in a cup win, aids invaluably to ones experience and thus ability to learn. In addition, they are like 400 level classes, because they are against the best of the best. Conno flipped the tough guy switch when the playoffs started, and got into peoples faces after the whistle. Something he never did in the regular season. He added so much to his game, including that tough guy bluff. It's very impressive. We can only hope our prospects see what he has done, and set out to do the same.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So, what would be considered a fair return for Burakovsky based off of a "good" playoff performance and a "bad" playoff performance?

Seems as if though his current contract expected a little more out of him, and he may go to arbitration, but I cant see arbitration resulting in a significant pay increase.

Are the Caps looking at a late 1st?

I just think that it may be easier to trade him away, as opposed to finishing up another bridge deal and not having much additional room to sign him long-term.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
So, what would be considered a fair return for Burakovsky based off of a "good" playoff performance and a "bad" playoff performance?

Seems as if though his current contract expected a little more out of him, and he may go to arbitration, but I cant see arbitration resulting in a significant pay increase.

Are the Caps looking at a late 1st?

I just think that it may be easier to trade him away, as opposed to finishing up another bridge deal and not having much additional room to sign him long-term.
I'd be shocked if they tender him and don't let him go to UFA, but if someone wants him on a 1 year deal maybe they'll cough up a 4th or 5th round pick. But then as a UFA maybe they can resign him for like $1.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad