Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Exactly! He bought the Morley Hopner home. It only has 2 bedrooms so he is adding a massive addition to include another bedroom
Hahaha. Oh boy, that home? It may be the most expensive private home in Ottawa, but it's openly mocked in some circles for it's design and especially for the materials used.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Huh, article says it's already a 3 bedroom,

All that said, openly mock the materials used all ya want, looks pretty damn nice to me though...
Huh, so it does. Wonder what someone will have to say about that.

I'm not saying it doesn't look nice enough. Definitely looks expensive.

The mocking I've heard comes from architects and builders who's opinions I value, and I tend to agree based on my own knowledge of materials and design. But for me personally it will always come down to a modern box in a historic neighborhood.

I think it was built by Kirk hoppner, of Morley hoppner. Check out some of their other boxy developments around Ottawa - no surprise he built a modern box in a historic neighborhood. But the funniest thing to me will always be - he built this thing, which ruffled more than a few feathers - then sold it 2 years later.

Reactions: Micklebot

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
When you consider the existing home that was there I think they paid over $2 million for then they constructed this monstrosity which is all steel and all concrete construction. That’s as expensive as it gets in the construction world. It has underground parking again, which adds massive bill to the project. I remember when they were trying to sell this home for 8 million bucks a couple of years ago and he picked it up for five. Pretty good bargain. The home seems quite cold on the inside, but hey, some people like that utilitarian look.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
When you consider the existing home that was there I think they paid over $2 million for then they constructed this monstrosity which is all steel and all concrete construction. That’s as expensive as it gets in the construction world. It has underground parking again, which adds massive bill to the project. I remember when they were trying to sell this home for 8 million bucks a couple of years ago and he picked it up for five. Pretty good bargain. The home seems quite cold on the inside, but hey, some people like that utilitarian look.
Ya, not my cup of tea in terms of taste. It was listed at $8m at one point, but I think the listing got down to $5.9m. Still, I guess it is a bargain given what he paid vs what it was listed at. Andlauer is I believe the 3rd owner of that house built 6 years ago, which I maybe find funnier than most.

That underground parking garage fits 4 and has heated floors in it, lol.

The multi million dollar home market in Ottawa is weird, filled with grand historic/looks-like-historic homes, and cold modern spaces. @BonHoonLayneCornell, check out the wild theatre space in this modern minimalist (who doesn't love paying $3.5m for exposed metal rafters, lol):
1714057810740.png

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, not my cup of tea in terms of taste. It was listed at $8m at one point, but I think the listing got down to $5.9m. Still, I guess it is a bargain given what he paid vs what it was listed at. Andlauer is I believe the 3rd owner of that house built 6 years ago, which I maybe find funnier than most.

That underground parking garage fits 4 and has heated floors in it, lol.

The multi million dollar home market in Ottawa is weird, filled with grand historic/looks-like-historic homes, and cold modern spaces. @BonHoonLayneCornell, check out the wild theatre space in this modern minimalist (who doesn't love paying $3.5m for exposed metal rafters, lol): View attachment 859410
That looks like an echo inducing nightmare...

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This place?

I can't imagine having that kinda dough and settling in to that... thing. Not my bag at all. Of course nicer than my 1800 square feet of sticks, drywall, laminate and mdf, but funny how tastes vary so wildly. You think it's nice eh?

Looks way too busy and industrial to me, inside and out, but not a lot of pics to go off in the article.

Reactions: Relapsing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't imagine having that kinda dough and settling in to that... thing. Not my bag at all. Of course nicer than my 1800 square feet of sticks, drywall, laminate and mdf, but funny how tastes vary so wildly. You think it's nice eh?

Looks way too busy and industrial to me, inside and out, but not a lot of pics to go off in the article.
I think it's nice, but not my taste. It seems a bit sterile for me, but hey, he made his money in Phama and healthcare, so maybe he likes sterile...

I do like open concepts though,

Senovision

May 23, 2011
That house was initially trying to sell for 8 million. They lowered the price.
Is that the house Michael Andlauer bought?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it's nice, but not my taste. It seems a bit sterile for me, but hey, he made his money in Phama and healthcare, so maybe he likes sterile...

I do like open concepts though,
Agreed on the open concepts, I like them too, especially when you likely have some nice separated spaces available like they surely do, and gobs of windows.

Of course it is nice, just by virtue of the cost of materials and a custom design. I don't know if it's the sterile nature of it so much for me as it is just the combination of materials just feeling like it doesn't mesh in to a coherent design. I don't like how it all comes together for an overall look, or imo, doesn't really. The staircase being so visibly dominant when looking at the kitchen really sticks out to me, but it also seems like the Kitchen is not supposed to dominate the look either. I dunno, to each their own I guess, and hard to say from just a couple pictures. I would have liked to either lean in to the lighter shades more or add some color

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They don't make movies like they used to anymore.
Ain't that the truth. A blockbuster gritty gangster flick is not something we get anymore. And definitely not cookin' dope on screen. Ah, the good old days. That film is a top 50 all time imo, along with Boyz n the Hood.

Nowadays O-Dog would be played by a latino babyface nobody and Caine would be some rich white dude's son that can't act for shit. Then it'd be neutered with a 200k budget forced into a PG13 rating for a Disney + direct to streaming release. And a few other irrelevant characters added for inclusion of all.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ain't that the truth. A blockbuster gritty gangster flick is not something we get anymore. And definitely not cookin' dope on screen. Ah, the good old days. That film is a top 50 all time imo, along with Boyz n the Hood.

Nowadays O-Dog would be played by a latino babyface nobody and Caine would be some rich white dude's son that can't act for shit. Then it'd be neutered with a 200k budget forced into a PG13 rating for a Disney + direct to streaming release. And a few other irrelevant characters added for inclusion of all.
Dave Chapelle said it best. The whole country/world's ears are so brittle. Everyone is so sensitive now.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad