Prospect Info: Andersson, Chytil, Pionk, Shestyorkin named to WC rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Still waaaaay too early to prognosticate like this. You have no idea what Lias' ceiling is. None. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of players that have scored 60 points in the NHL that weren't drafted in the top 7.

" Andersson is a virtual lock for a lengthy NHL career, and his style of play can fit any system."

^ That's why the Rangers picked him at 7 and pretty much what I expect out of him. If he has a 10+ year in the NHL and plays on the 2nd line then he's a solid pick, and less risky than Mittelstadt, as a 7OA pick. The Rangers wanted depth, and certainty, down the middle and Lias was exactly that which is why it was the right pick FOR THEM.

"We’ve got him at 14th, but don’t be surprised if he’s off the board before the top ten is complete"

This is a pretty in depth article about Andresson that everyone should read:

Nation Network 2017 Prospect Profile: #14 – Lias Andersson

But... He can't skate.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tell me how many centers get 60 points in a season? And don't give me that "just because there aren't 31 centers in the doesn't mean being among the top 31 is first line production" bull****

Why?

I’m not the one that said he’s going to put up 60 pts. So it’s irrelevant.

At 7 I’d take a shot at the guy who could actually do it though. IMO Lias doesn’t have that upside.

Others believe he does that’s fine. I don’t see it but that’s fine. I don’t see the skating or skill set to be more than a 45 pt player at the most. Also believe his future is on the wing. Think he can use his body and get to the net. Going to be a good player and leader on this team. I think that has more to do with the puck than anything else. I think they feel they needed that.

I do believe they went with nhl ready over bpa and failed. And that is the biggest issue I have and they should have recognized it easily watching him skate. He needs a lot of work this summer on it and I’m sure he will in fact do so. Hope buchnevich goes with him to whichever skating instructor they find.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lias' skating is fine. He's not explosive but he is also no Stepan. To me it looks like he lacks that explosive first step but his top speed is above average.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ultimately I'd be surprised if lias sticks as a center. Think he could be a really good winger with zib and kreider

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think stepan is a better skater tbh

Lias is skating much better right now than he did earlier in the year. I think he has a lot of growth potential. The question is how much better it can become.

It’s also important to remember that skating hard is compareable to running up for a stair. Lias is around 200 lbs and didn’t really get any off season.

Run up for a stair like 5 levels, rest a couple of minutes, do it again, rest a few minutes. Go on for two hours with two 18 minutes breaks. That is a hockey game. If you get really tired, your legs get heavy and you don’t get back any real jump. Do that like 3-4 times a week, anyone having worked out a lot can understand how heavy it can feel. If you are in very good condition, you can of course do it. Lias was never in “bad shape”. But the jump you have when you are fully rested and in tip top shape won’t be there the last levels. And if you don’t get proper rest between the days you do it, you won’t exactly set any personal records.

And this really also illustrates how important the off season is for a player. If you ever have lifted weights seriously — can you imagine what an hour in the gym doing squats on Sunday will do to your speed in the staircase if you have a “game” on Tuesday? Most guys are on Insta. Whatch how slim their upper bodies are most of the time. Younger guys look more like jockeys than sturdy well built athletes. To play at the speed they are doing at the elite level, to skate 15-20 minutes a night like 3 nights per week on average, any extra lbs are so heavy to carry. Try competing at 235 lbs like Lucic is with a 170 lbs Marner. C ya Milan.

If you aren’t in perfect shape when the season start — it will affect you a ton. If you want to get stronger legs, add more mass — imagine how hard it is to get in any kind of quality time in the gym during the season.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Lias is skating much better right now than he did earlier in the year. I think he has a lot of growth potential. The question is how much better it can become.

It’s also important to remember that skating hard is compareable to running up for a stair. Lias is around 200 lbs and didn’t really get any off season.

Run up for a stair like 5 levels, rest a couple of minutes, do it again, rest a few minutes. Go on for two hours with two 18 minutes breaks. That is a hockey game. If you get really tired, your legs get heavy and you don’t get back any real jump. Do that like 3-4 times a week, anyone having worked out a lot can understand how heavy it can feel. If you are in very good condition, you can of course do it. Lias was never in “bad shape”. But the jump you have when you are fully rested and in tip top shape won’t be there the last levels. And if you don’t get proper rest between the days you do it, you won’t exactly set any personal records.

And this really also illustrates how important the off season is for a player. If you ever have lifted weights seriously — can you imagine what an hour in the gym doing squats on Sunday will do to your speed in the staircase if you have a “game” on Tuesday? Most guys are on Insta. Whatch how slim their upper bodies are most of the time. Younger guys look more like jockeys than sturdy well built athletes. To play at the speed they are doing at the elite level, to skate 15-20 minutes a night like 3 nights per week on average, any extra lbs are so heavy to carry. Try competing at 235 lbs like Lucic is with a 170 lbs Marner. C ya Milan.

If you aren’t in perfect shape when the season start — it will affect you a ton. If you want to get stronger legs, add more mass — imagine how hard it is to get in any kind of quality time in the gym during the season.

This is all 100% true and everyone should read it. It is almost impossible to put in any quality gym time during the season, and if anything you are just trying to stave off atrophy as much as possible. One of my friends played through an ELC in the AHL. From training camp -> end of playoffs he would lose 10-15ish lbs. He had a naturally lean body type. In college he was able to add decent bulk but in the grind of a pro schedule it just melted off. The off-season was critical to train (and beyond lifting you need rest to grow) before camp and starting the process all over again. Take a look at Lias' schedule last year (I know I'm preaching to the choir here) and it's not hard to figure out. Curious to see what he can do with a proper off season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think stepan is a better skater tbh

If you don’t want to get into page long arguments I’d say their skating is close. Also need to keep in mind a couple of points:

1. You’re comparing to a 19-year old Andersson. We really didn’t see much of Stepan when he was this young. At this age even one year difference is a lot in terms of improving physical attributes. Eventually I think Andersson will be a surely better skater and be physically stronger.

2. Stepan also didn’t get to his peak skating form until after like 3 years in the NHL. He stayed at that level for a while but at least in his last two seasons his skating (and his strength) started to slip.

The point is when saying this is better than that you need to specify whether you use their current state, your projections for a prospect and / or peak performance for a vet.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Don't think so. Should be scheduled to play today.
7 minutes in the first period and he didn't take the ice. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the lineup, and the narrator said something about Buchnevich, unfortunately I don't understand Russian to know that he said. lol

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
7 minutes in the first period and he didn't take the ice. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the lineup, and the narrator said something about Buchnevich, unfortunately I don't understand Russian to know that he said.
Yeah I'm trying to find a box score or something, to no avail :dunno:

Alex Nunn says he's not in.

Reactions: Fvital92

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Lias' skating is fine. He's not explosive but he is also no Stepan. To me it looks like he lacks that explosive first step but his top speed is above average.

Stepan is a better skater and it's not close atm. Lias looks like he's churning butter with his legs when he tries to explode out of a standstill and pretty much doesn't move.

I'm sure he'll get better but this is some serious wanting.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m excited to see them both in this year world cup in Denmark! :)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It’s troubling to see buchnevich play as lazily for team Russia as he did for us down the stretch. Really troubling. He should be coming into his own right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad