Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's easy to forget Nilsson is 24 when he last played in the NHL he was 21-22 very few goalies have NHL success at that age. He's just coming into his prime and is a prototypical new age goalie.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's easy to forget Nilsson is 24 when he last played in the NHL he was 21-22 very few goalies have NHL success at that age. He's just coming into his prime and is a prototypical new age goalie.

Nilsson is still considered young...I think the prime years for goalies start around 27.

It would be a nice change of pace to have a player hit their stride while he is still actually on the team instead after he leaves.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Fun fact in the NHL he is a career 6-0 and has only allowed 3 Shootout goals total. That's quite impressive.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Good to see Nilsson doing well. Always liked him when he was with the Isles.

His quickness/mobility while down and his 5-hole were two big concerns while he was there, but his composure was evident from the start of his career when he frustrated the Devils and beat them in a SO. His consistency issues, like with all goaltenders, I think will be resolved as he matures and gains more confidence.

I'd love to see him keep the #1 job over Talbot and carve out a successful career in the NHL.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It is shocking, when was the last time the Oilers won a trade as lopsided as this one!

I don't know if there are any teams that win trades as clearly as this one on a consistent basis.

Hopefully Nilsson becomes our long-term starter.

Power to Nilsson for taking his shot and running with it, i.e. coming into camp only looking for an NHL. I like that attitude and for once things work out for the Oilers.

13jetoil39

Apr 14, 2015
NILLY! NILLY!

Thats pretty awesome how amazing his numbers are as of late, he is just playing top tier goal tending.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
He's an RFA, so if he keeps it up, I expect a bridge deal at 2.5-3m aav and 2-3 years. It's possible he could ask for more. With Brossoit in the system, I wouldn't go too crazy with a longer term deal on Nilsson until he's had two solid starter seasons.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Currently 11th in save percentage of any goalie with at least 15 games played (900mins) and 6th in adjusted save percentage. He's also facing the 3rd most shots against per game in the league.

Feels nice to not be paranoid for once that the pucks going to go in every time its on the oppositions stick in our end. I've also finally gotten all the Scrivens puck handling flashbacks out of my memory. Very smart goalie in that regard.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Very interesting interview by Gregor with Cam Woodley on why Nilsson is such a good fit with the Oilers.

I think there might be some other posters that will enjoy Cams insights as much as I do....

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/woodley-on-nilsson-there-s-a-reason-he-was-a-fit-in-edm-1.405827

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Hearing this really makes me glad we canned our awful old goalie coach. Sounds like the new one is doing a much better job. I also like the idea of preferring to have a talented/athletic, but raw goalie to work with if you have a good goalie coach. Nilsson certainly seems to be (have been? fingers crossed!) that sort of goalie, so having a good goalie coach should continue to work for his (and our) benefit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Hearing this really makes me glad we canned our awful old goalie coach. Sounds like the new one is doing a much better job. I also like the idea of preferring to have a talented/athletic, but raw goalie to work with if you have a good goalie coach. Nilsson certainly seems to be (have been? fingers crossed!) that sort of goalie, so having a good goalie coach should continue to work for his (and our) benefit.

No problem.

Yeah...Woodley sure does present a solid argument on the importance of a goalie coach. This head trajectory thing looks like it is a major difference maker so having a coach that teaches it seems to make a lot of sense.

Nilsson has been such a great story so far...the Oilers were long overdue for this type of positive news in net. :nod:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
No problem.

Yeah...Woodley sure does present a solid argument on the importance of a goalie coach. This head trajectory thing looks like it is a major difference maker so having a coach that teaches it seems to make a lot of sense.

Nilsson has been such a great story so far...the Oilers were long overdue for this type of positive news in net. :nod:

So, SO very overdue.

On the note of this head trajectory technique, you know who I'd love to see get some training with it? Marc-Andre Fleury. Dude is by far the most athletically talented goalie in the NHL in my opinion. His problem has always been fundamentals and confidence. Going gets rough, he starts to flop back and forth (and continues to make saves most of the time, astoundingly!), and then one or two get in and the floodgates break open.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Really don't want to get too high on the guy because he's riding some unsustainable numbers in the past few games but if he's legit...damn. Even if he's a solid backup, I'd still take him over one of those stud overage BCHL'ers any day ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really don't want to get too high on the guy because he's riding some unsustainable numbers in the past few games but if he's legit...damn. Even if he's a solid backup, I'd still take him over one of those stud overage BCHL'ers any day ;)

No doubt he is not going to maintain the gaudy numbers of the last few games.

That said it certainly doesn't seem unreasonable for him to maintain a sv% between .915 - .920.

If he does that then he will provide this team with goaltending good enough to win more than they lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad