Anders Lee

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Lee was playing great in Bridgeport prior to being called up. I think he should and will stay, he fills a major void(size) up front and can provide us with secondary scoring. The team is still in the experimental phase and hasn't really established 4 lines we"ll see consistently.

I don't know how well his game compliments Grabovski and Nielsen... I'd like to see the kids line stick.
What is obvious about Lee is he is a beast in the corners and really hard to push off he puck. We brought in a lot of new pieces and everyone is adjusting. I still think his decisions with the puck can improve , but whose can't ?

Last edited:

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
He's just alright. Drives possession. I think he's more of a Kulemin mold rather than a scorer. But the good news is that he's a bull and he is a pleasure to watch along the boards.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Lee was playing great in Bridgeport prior to being called up. I think he should and will stay, he fills a major void(size) up front and can provide us with secondary scoring. The team is still in the experimental phase and hasn't really established 4 lines we"ll see consistently.

I don't know how well his game compliments Grabovski and Nielsen... I'd like to see the kids line stick.
What is obvious about Lee is he is a beast in the corners and really hard to push off he puck. We brought in a lot of new pieces and everyone is adjusting. I still think his decisions with the puck can improve , but whose can't ?

I agree that those 2 are too fast for Lee. Strome and Tavares are more his speed. Last night was the first time I saw Lee work the corners to that extent. Obviously he was the corner man on that line with Frans and Grabo but I think he's usually right in front of the net when wih Strome and Nelson. He's hard to move which helps his line with screens, tips and garbage goals. I like it when he's used in that role because it seems to really wear down the defense trying to move him out.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I think he has been slightly disappointing. Looks really slow.

Either we're not watching the same games or one of us is completely out to lunch.

I think he's been really really good. Been even better than Brock lately.

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
I think he has been slightly disappointing. Looks really slow.

And disappointingly, he hasn't been the force that he was in front of the net like we had seen in his previous stints in the NHL.
All in all he is a good player but has been underachieving with the big club.

I was/am a big supporter of his and he just hasn't lived up to it....yet.....

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Either we're not watching the same games or one of us is completely out to lunch.

I think he's been really really good. Been even better than Brock lately.

I am actually out to lunch right now. I'm eating lentils and tofu. Yum.

In what sense do you think he has been good? He hasn't been scoring, has never been more than average defensively, and just looks a little slow to me.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I agree, he also seems lazy in the neutral zone and does not back check effectively. Far from the complete and ready player others were hoping for.

I noticed that too, but then noticed the next shift he was going hard. Then got lazy.

He's not bringing it every shift.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

In what sense do you think he has been good? He hasn't been scoring, has never been more than average defensively, and just looks a little slow to me.

He's been downright dominant down low. He created a ton of opportunities these past 2 games just by winning board battles behind the net and passing the puck back to a dman for a point shot.
Defensemen can't deal with him below the dots. He just shrugs em off like nothing. I don't remember who he shrugged off but he did do it a few times last night.

I don't see his speed and defense as an issue at all really.

I really like what I've seen from him so far. No he hasn't been scoring, but nobody is scoring now. In addition to that, he doesn't really play that much - well....not as much as he should IMO

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

He's misused. But he's a bull in the corners. Sure, he's slow, but that shouldn't be his game. He'll be better with a puck carrier/distributor like Strome instead of Clutterbuck. Clutts has absolutely no vision and I think he's one of the most difficult players to play with.

I don't know what some were expecting of Lee this year, I certainly didn't think he'd come close to last year's numbers just because of the increased depth this year (and a healthy JT/KO). He just won't get the same minutes.

But if he can continue to drive the net and get 1st/2nd PP time (which he SHOULD), he'll get his goals. I'd love to see him in Kuly's spot, I think with JT/KO, Lee would be perfect, like Clark Gillies :)

But I'm not pushing it. I'm still ecstatic on having Kulemin there instead of Conacher. Sustained offensive zone pressure - that's my statement-of-the-year!

Even Butchie was using it yesterday (when the top line was on, anyway).

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I agree that those 2 are too fast for Lee. Strome and Tavares are more his speed. Last night was the first time I saw Lee work the corners to that extent. Obviously he was the corner man on that line with Frans and Grabo but I think he's usually right in front of the net when wih Strome and Nelson. He's hard to move which helps his line with screens, tips and garbage goals. I like it when he's used in that role because it seems to really wear down the defense trying to move him out.

Yup. He needs to be played where he is most effective and that's parked up in front of Bernier, Quick,Schneider, insert name ______. Once Bailey is back I'd like to see the kids line, and give Bailey another shot on JT's wing. Don't want to get off topic but I feel Lee will be just fine once he is given an established role.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I've been saying it for a while, put a line together with Okposo, Lee, and Nelson and watch them grind the other group down. On the change follow them up immediately with Tavares, Grabovski, and Strome. You will wear the defense down, tire the forwards, and on the few times you catch the other group out for a long shift absolutely take advantage of them with the ability to hit the seams.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's misused. But he's a bull in the corners. Sure, he's slow, but that shouldn't be his game. He'll be better with a puck carrier/distributor like Strome instead of Clutterbuck. Clutts has absolutely no vision and I think he's one of the most difficult players to play with.

I don't know what some were expecting of Lee this year, I certainly didn't think he'd come close to last year's numbers just because of the increased depth this year (and a healthy JT/KO). He just won't get the same minutes.

But if he can continue to drive the net and get 1st/2nd PP time (which he SHOULD), he'll get his goals. I'd love to see him in Kuly's spot, I think with JT/KO, Lee would be perfect, like Clark Gillies :)

But I'm not pushing it. I'm still ecstatic on having Kulemin there instead of Conacher. Sustained offensive zone pressure - that's my statement-of-the-year!

Even Butchie was using it yesterday (when the top line was on, anyway).

You are so refreshing.

He's misused, much like the rest of our personnel. I think he's been exactly what I was expecting. He just needs more minutes and to stay with Strome and preferably Nelson.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
And disappointingly, he hasn't been the force that he was in front of the net like we had seen in his previous stints in the NHL.
All in all he is a good player but has been underachieving with the big club.

I was/am a big supporter of his and he just hasn't lived up to it....yet.....

I think that had to do with coaching. Lee needs to play with Dmen that shoot an accurate shot from the point. That is when he is most effective because he does cover a lot of the front of the net. That's how he gets goals...you'll rarely see him deke or even have the chance to come in alone and try to score.

I saw a kid that needs to bulk up more..yeah, you heard me. He's still a bit thin for a guy his size. He was "ok" vs some of the King players...in the corners/hitting, but there were a few that controlled him and beat him down when they ran into each other..like Brown. Other than that..i thought he was ok and a definite upgrade..though, I don't know if he is 100% ready. I think on any other real team...he'd be sitting on the bench and getting 10-12 min ice time per game until such time that he works on his weaknesses and gets better.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
I think that he needs to calm down again. I love his work in the corners, and he seems ok for the most part defensively. But he seems to be pressing too hard when he is getting a shot off. He will start scoring soon, and that will help his confidence quite a bit.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Don't get me wrong guys, I am not saying Lee has been horrible or anything like that. Mildly disappointing, but I'm still pretty psyched about him as a player.

Basically how I feel right now. He's an asset because of his size, board work and work in front of the net. Also has a bit of a scoring touch.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Lee is an interesting player but is also a little frustrating to watch. His skating just isn't there and you could really see it against the Kings. He's a smart player, definitely has the skill but I just don't know where he fits when Bailey and Grabner are healthy. Skating is a huge part of todays NHL, right now I don't know if Lee can hang on this this current Isles roster.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
You are so refreshing.

He's misused, much like the rest of our personnel. I think he's been exactly what I was expecting. He just needs more minutes and to stay with Strome and preferably Nelson.

This.....if you're the New York Islanders, the team most deserving of pink jerseys, and you have ONE guy who will plant himself in front of the net to screen {Capuano doesn't like this universal play?}, YOU KEEP HIM!

He needs a shooter and a playmaker. He doesn't have one. On limited time with JT, and I'l say it, an UNDERWHELMING JT, he hasn't had chances go his way.

Team wide, passes are too fancy/dainty/off. In zone, the team does not set up well. Opposite side play, does the winger charge the net? No....and the puck holder usually only has the point to go to. So let's watch the defense clog the lanes with no challenge from the Isles.

This is why I like Lee....he seemingly is the only one who didn't get the memo. He drives the net well.

Maybe Tavares & C. don't know how to react when someone molests the goalie?

I'd love to have a coach here...someone who could show Lee {and Okposo, and Martin, and Nelson} some of the work one John Tonelli used to so with his massive frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad