Kings News: And your new head coach is...

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I don't think Stevens is a Sutter clone. However, there's something to be said for getting a new voice in there. Some of this core has been listening to Stevens for the better part of a decade now. If the concern was the players getting too static, I'm not sure how this addresses that.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't think Stevens is a Sutter clone. However, there's something to be said for getting a new voice in there. Some of this core has been listening to Stevens for the better part of a decade now. If the concern was the players getting too static, I'm not sure how this addresses that.

Exactly. Also how lazy do you have to be to not even interview anyone else? Good job at keeping your options closed. That's always a good idea, right?

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lombardi went thru 3 Kings coaches in 11 seasons. This is the safe bet for Luc and Rob. If it doesn't work out they can fire him. A lot of NHL coaches recently have been let go after a few seasons.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah that's my one real concern, but otherwise, he's a good (continued employment) hire. Better than what's left, although not necessarily stellar, but also a good dude who has paid his dues, is familiar with the players and what they've gone through, and so on.

Exactly. Also how lazy do you have to be to not even interview anyone else? Good job at keeping your options closed. That's always a good idea, right?

At least they did their due diligence imo, didn't hire right away, shows me they were talking to players and internally to be sure. Who else would you liked them to have expanded to? Nothing really interesting left as far as I recall.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
well i mean the players had their exit interviews already right? maybe there was a resounding majority that said "i'm sick of sutter, i really like stevens" or something along those lines

hard to say without having sat in on every conversation management has had

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I hate it.

We need to shake things up and all that happens is a bunch of internal guys are promoted.

Kings players have been listening to Stevens for years now. He's not a new voice.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I hate it.

We need to shake things up and all that happens is a bunch of internal guys are promoted.

Kings players have been listening to Stevens for years now. He's not a new voice.

And maybe that's the problem - as is so common, the same voice gets tuned out after a while.

Thought you guys would go in the direction of Bylsma or Ruff, not looking within, but it sounds like you're all okay with it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I hate it.

As long as the players can respond to him, that's all they really need. The team might perform differently with Sutter out of the way. The fact that Kompon was let go and Stevens remained the one constant through two different coaches tells me that he was valued by the organization.

His name coming up as a top candidate every time there was a coaching vacancy shows that he was sought after and considered to be a great option to take over a head coaching role.

It's worth a shot. They're not stuck in an iron clad contract with him. I'm more concerned with how the players perform and what this roster will look like come training camp.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I was hoping that Stevens would stay and maybe we would hire someone like Montgomery as head coach, but I can get behind this. I do think familiarity and likeability is important. But Stevens needs the right assistants in order for this team to succeed. What I liked about what Cassidy from the Bruins is that he when he took the job, he didn't want to change the defense because that's what Julien was good at. That's what I'm hoping for with Stevens. Defense is fine, but the offense needs some tweaking.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This is the fourth coach many of these players have had. If they don't like it they can **** right off. They don't run the team. I'm tired of this "What will the room think?" nonsense.

Stevens is highly qualified and not an idiot. I look forward to seeing who he hires as assistants.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah that's my one real concern, but otherwise, he's a good (continued employment) hire. Better than what's left, although not necessarily stellar, but also a good dude who has paid his dues, is familiar with the players and what they've gone through, and so on.

At least they did their due diligence imo, didn't hire right away, shows me they were talking to players and internally to be sure. Who else would you liked them to have expanded to? Nothing really interesting left as far as I recall.

There's an entire world of hockey minds out there. Even if it's just to see what other people have to say, ideas you haven't thought of, regardless of what you end up doing ultimately. I mean, this is a pretty important decision, seems completely idiotic to not even talk to anyone else.

well i mean the players had their exit interviews already right? maybe there was a resounding majority that said "i'm sick of sutter, i really like stevens" or something along those lines

hard to say without having sat in on every conversation management has had

The last thing the GM should be doing at this point is pandering to the assclowns that flat out quit on two coaches.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Not sure what to think. I was hoping for a fresh perspective and a new voice but I'm guessing Stevens presented some interesting ideas on how to change things moving forward.

So we went from Lombardi to Blake and Sutter to Stevens. I don't hate it but I have a hard time seeing either one as an upgrade. Not much to do but to hope for the best at this point.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Not sure what to think. I was hoping for a fresh perspective and a new voice but I'm guessing Stevens presented some interesting ideas on how to change things moving forward.

So we went from Lombardi to Blake and Sutter to Stevens. I don't hate it but I have a hard time seeing either one as an upgrade. Not much to do but to hope for the best at this point.

Lombardi needed to go. It was long overdue.

Sutter wasn't as big of an issue and let's be real, he's a legend. Would be very difficult to replace him with any coach. I'm interested to see who John hires as assistants (which I'm hoping he will have full say on).

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As long as the players can respond to him, that's all they really need. The team might perform differently with Sutter out of the way. The fact that Kompon was let go and Stevens remained the one constant through two different coaches tells me that he was valued by the organization.

Not just multiple coaches, but now multiple GMs. It's no coincidence that him and Ranford have stayed with the organization for so long.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is the fourth coach many of these players have had. If they don't like it they can **** right off. They don't run the team. I'm tired of this "What will the room think?" nonsense.

Stevens is highly qualified and not an idiot. I look forward to seeing who he hires as assistants.

I don't disagree but let's also not forget Sutter was the third longest-tenured coach in the league, it's not like he was two years and out.

There's an entire world of hockey minds out there. Even if it's just to see what other people have to say, ideas you haven't thought of, regardless of what you end up doing ultimately. I mean, this is a pretty important decision, seems completely idiotic to not even talk to anyone else.

I wasn't criticizing, just asking. Like literally who is left with the qualifications of head coaching experience? Ruff?

They've at least been contacting Montgomery.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
I like it. Dee had some good things to say about him during his stint in Philly, we could see a more wide open offensive style. I don't really give a **** who it is, I just want the team to respond and play to their potential.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I thought it was Stevens all along. It would have been wrong to not give him a shot after he was promoted associate coach. He also turn down interviews for other spots. I think the dq thing is a sign he wont be as hard as sutter was which the team may respond better to

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Feel like he was probably good cop to Sutter's bad cop.

No issue with the hire. He isn't a Sutter guy, a Lombardi guy or a Murray guy: he's an organizational guy that has coached the one side of this team that hasn't gone in the toilet.

Like it or not, this team is stuck with a lot of these players. I'm totally on board with promoting someone they like. No more excuses.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
As long as he can get back the Kings' swagger. Just rewatched 2014 Game 2 against the Rangers and nothing phased us. Meanwhile the Rangers were whining and crying the whole time. We just kept coming, relentlessly. I want us to go back to that. Hope Stevens can get us back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad