Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Had a meeting at 3PM that required cameras on. My picture as well as my other Michigan colleague's got really dark, haha. It was some nice G-rated office humor.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Way too cloudy here in the Twin Cities to see anything. Bummer. Guess I'll just have to live a little longer to see another, geez. See you guys in 2044.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My wife find mouse in the garage , feed iT before release I the wild

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_183030.jpg
    IMG_20240408_183030.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1

AussieWings

Oct 12, 2018
Melbourne
Yes, Detroit-style is absolutely distinct from Chicago. Not only in proportion (Detroit being 1-2cm thick, depending on the place, while Chicago is more like 3cm thick), but construction and baking process as well.

With Chicago, you almost come away with a pizza casserole. With Detroit, it's neither thin enough to fold like in New York, nor thick enough to serve like a slice of pie. But it tends to have a relatively high cheese content and a good mix of chew and crunch.

I like all pizza styles, but I'd recommend trying both Chicago and Detroit if you can find places that do each one justice.
I'm aware of one, and only one, that does either style in Melbourne. How well it does them justice I won't be able to say, but at the end of the day, as long as they're tasty is probably more important than how authentic.

If you can't reasonably pick it up and eat it by hand it's not pizza, imo. "Pizza casserole" is spot on, and not a pizza to me.
Australian pizza is typically fairly close to a New York style, just with more toppings, so would probably meet with your approval.

Oh yes, and Detroit-style is superior to Chicago deep dish (facts are important in these discussions). Chicagoans largely don't even eat deep dish here in the city. Tavern-style (thin crust) is what the natives generally gravitate towards. Deep dish (or worse, "stuffed") is mainly for the tourists lol. That said, my in-laws, from a suburb of Chicago, love deep dish, so I find myself eating Lou Malnatti's (a popular Chicago chain) from time to time. It's about the most mediocre pizza I've had in my life.

I whip up Detroit-style at home once in a while. It's a more focused pizza than the casserole-style in Chicago. Gotta have a square steel pan. Gotta have brick cheese. Gotta bake at high temp and caramelize that cheese on the edges (as seen in your photo). Pepperoni is the only topping (doesn't have to be of course, but that's the tradition that I adhere to lol). Like @jkutswings said, it should have a nice combo of crunch and chew (Chicago-style has no crunch... like a casserole :laugh:). Made correctly, it has a great flavor profile, largely having to do with that caramelized cheese.

Well, that sounds promising. The image is from the restaurant's page, so it's sounding like they know how to do what they claim to do.

The primary objective is to try the fabled Chicago deep dish, but I'm hoping the group is large enough that I can try a single piece and then reinforce my Wings cred by also sampling the Detroit, without the need to assist in finishing off an entire deep dish.

If you want Chicago Deep Dish pizza (which apparently is often times used as a joke on tourists by native Chicago/Illinois people just to see them struggle with it), you might as well find a place that makes quality lasagna. I'm kind of joking but not really.
Interesting. Other than my mother's lasagna (which an Italian ex-girlfriend admitted was better than her mother's lasagna) one of the better lasagnas I've come across is a strange, local lasagna pie. So maybe I already have some idea what Chicago deep dish is like...

Thanks to you all for your thoughts.

Last edited:

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
God I pizza detroit style pizza. Hell I miss american style pizza. Getting real tired of italian pizza.

Also chili cheese fritos oddly enough.
I'm sure I've had it but what is 'Italian Pizza' - You have a go-to restaurant as an example?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Moving from DC to the West Loop (Chicago) and it looks like there's a great rink nearby with several divisions of men's leagues. Would love to get back to playing, but I've hardly touched the ice in like a decade (switched to fully inline in high school then fell off with the game through college and grad school).

Anyone tips from folks who have gotten back on ice after a long stretch away?

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Moving from DC to the West Loop (Chicago) and it looks like there's a great rink nearby with several divisions of men's leagues. Would love to get back to playing, but I've hardly touched the ice in like a decade (switched to fully inline in high school then fell off with the game through college and grad school).

You going to spend some money at the @jaster tavern?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Were you looking at Fifth Third Arena or Johnny's Ice House? Johnny's could be a good spot if you're trying to get back into it. I played there for many years, though haven't in a while. Depending on your level and exactly how rusty you are, they have some good opportunities between Stick and Puck, random clinics, and a federal/beginner's league. Fifth Third is real nice, but other than subbing there a few times, I'm not as familiar with it. They have two sheets though, so maybe even more opportunities than Johnny's.

Also look for drop-in/rat sessions you can attend within the radius you're able to travel (having a car goes a long way in men's league in Chicago). They're good opportunities for networking, which is at least half the battle. Make friends and you're far more likely to find a team.

It can be a little tricky to break in as an individual in Chicago. Most leagues don't have much opportunity for individual sign-up, and with the ones that do it's luck of the draw, as you're depending on some team to randomly pick your name to fill a hole in their roster (which doesn't seem to happen much). So, again, making friends and networking are key.

Lastly, PM me when you get settled in Chicago. In addition to all of the above, I'll see what I can connect you with. Within my network I've got guys who rent ice sometimes to get a session together, and they're often looking for additional skaters.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Were you looking at Fifth Third Arena or Johnny's Ice House? Johnny's could be a good spot if you're trying to get back into it. I played there for many years, though haven't in a while. Depending on your level and exactly how rusty you are, they have some good opportunities between Stick and Puck, random clinics, and a federal/beginner's league. Fifth Third is real nice, but other than subbing there a few times, I'm not as familiar with it. They have two sheets though, so maybe even more opportunities than Johnny's.

Also look for drop-in/rat sessions you can attend within the radius you're able to travel (having a car goes a long way in men's league in Chicago). They're good opportunities for networking, which is at least half the battle. Make friends and you're far more likely to find a team.

It can be a little tricky to break in as an individual in Chicago. Most leagues don't have much opportunity for individual sign-up, and with the ones that do it's luck of the draw, as you're depending on some team to randomly pick your name to fill a hole in their roster (which doesn't seem to happen much). So, again, making friends and networking are key.

Lastly, PM me when you get settled in Chicago. In addition to all of the above, I'll see what I can connect you with. Within my network I've got guys who rent ice sometimes to get a session together, and they're often looking for additional skaters.

That's perfect, thanks man - will do! Yeah Johnny's and Fifth Third were the two I had been eyeing, both are pretty close. That sounds great, I'll probably plan to drop in to some stick and puck/drop-in throughout the summer while I get back up to speed a bit, then take it from there.

Growing up I played at a decent enough level to get the core concepts of structured hockey (cycle, breakout, man coverage, mediocre four-way skating, etc.), but I'll play with anyone really, just looking to have a good time!

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That's perfect, thanks man - will do! Yeah Johnny's and Fifth Third were the two I had been eyeing, both are pretty close. That sounds great, I'll probably plan to drop in to some stick and puck/drop-in throughout the summer while I get back up to speed a bit, then take it from there.

Growing up I played at a decent enough level to get the core concepts of structured hockey (cycle, breakout, man coverage, mediocre four-way skating, etc.), but I'll play with anyone really, just looking to have a good time!
Right on, just having a good time is what it's all about! You'll see some teams have a lot of turnover as they're always trying to retool their roster with younger players. That's one way to enjoy men's league I guess. I've been playing with largely the same group of guys for as long as 15 years though, because it's a great group and a lot of meaningful friendships have been forged. We're the team usually hanging in the parking lot the longest having beers. If we don't win on the ice, we certainly win in the lot.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So thin and soggy in the middle that you can't pick up a slice without everything on it sliding off...

I miss American pizza.

you can make a pretty decent pizza at home with a normal oven if you want. You're not giong to get a pizza like you'd get out of an 800 degree pizza oven, but definitely won't be soggy and you can control the crust thickness.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Has anyone programmed a key fob after changing the battery? I have 2 dead fobs for a '18 Toyota Corolla. New batteries and made sure fob was clean. I've tried the on/off 2x + open/close driver side door 2x & unlock/unlock 6-10x methods and succeeded only in looking like a jackass.

Dealer wants $400 to program and cut one new key. Screw that jazz. Ace Hardware will program and cut for half that but trying to avoid new fobs.

Curious if anyone has had success with other "programming" methods.

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
Whats the best way to sell hockey tickets? (not selling on here, just inquiring). I bought to pretty good seated tickets for the MTL @ DET game, I was going to drive to Detroit from Toronto with a friend but his exams got rescheduled to the around the game time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad