Post-Game Talk: And Price ain't havin' it - Habs improve to 4-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That second goal on the PP might have been the fastest shot I've ever seen him take. 'Twas nuts!

Twas but the first one was the bomb.
The release was amazing considering it was a hybrid one-timer.
Why the F doesn't PK work on something like that.
He score ten zillion points if he could.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've seen much less dump-ins and a lot more neutral zone short passing combined with the players skating the puck in.

Well RDS showed us at 4 controlled zone entries in the first period (our best period)
compared to 10 for the Pens. So unless we were at zero in the past this is no great improvement.
I'm fairly certain we are still well down the list on the dump in to controlled entry ratio.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
They were, the 1st one was such a smart shot, he knew MAF was going the other way and he just quickly put it on the net, the 2nd one was a pure snipe, he works really well on the right half boards.

I made a bold prediction on the Avs board that he'll hit 50 this year.

i wouldnt exactly say 'bold' considering he had 39 and 37 goals the past two seasons, but like your thinking ;)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
i wouldnt exactly say 'bold' considering he had 39 and 37 goals the past two seasons, but like your thinking ;)

If Pac stays healthy and continues to improve with his consistency there is no reason he can't hit that magic number. The funny thing is I don't think he's at 100% yet. But I am truly appreciating his commitment all over the ice he is showing his awesome back pressure more regularly.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Petry was our best Dman again last night. He's quickly becoming my favorite player on this team not named P.K or Price.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Carey Price is just unreal. We could be on the bottom of the standings if not for him. This team should always be top 10 in the power rankings in virtue of him being our goaltender.

Bottom of the standings is a bit much no?
Condon only let in 1 goal in his game....we're no different than most teams in the league, great goaltending will equal wins

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The team is playing amazing hockey. All 4 lines are rolling and creating offence, the D is playing well, and most of all Price is being Price. Our possession stats are through the roof, so kudos to Therrien.

Around the league:
- the top team and in 3/4 divisions has an elite goalie: Price, Henrik, Rinne.
- Detroit beat Tampa last night. We need to win our division so those two teams can go at it again in the first round and hopefully Detroit wins this time around.
- The Bruins, Kings, and Pens are 0-3 to start the year
- Oilers still suck

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Great effort all around by the team.

Everything seemed to be clicking properly.

I know we scored a PP goal but i thought we didn't shoot the puck enough and just seemed to pass the puck in the perimeter until Patches just decided to finally shoot it! By that time i was ready to pull out my hair.

I'd complain about Semin just floating around but I guess we all knew what we were getting with him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Petry was our best Dman again last night. He's quickly becoming my favorite player on this team not named P.K or Price.

Definitely addressed a HUGE issue we'd had the last 2-3 years where we had three legit top 4 dmen. Though I'm sure some of you will say Emelin isn't one, but he's a top 4 dmen on 28-29 other teams. Gorges stopped being one in the lockout season, gave up on hockey the same way Cole did.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bottom of the standings is a bit much no?
Condon only let in 1 goal in his game....we're no different than most teams in the league, great goaltending will equal wins

Sure, we're no different, except we have the best player in the world on our team and quite frankly, if he keeps it up, it's not even close.
If he remains healthy, watch him repeat or outdo his last season. I've never seen such elite goaltending.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Solid road game for Montreal. Some shady moments for sure, notably when Pittsburgh pushed the pace at the end. There's so much you can do against Malkin - Crosby - Kessel. I can of like Montreal's style so far : more puck possession and more shots. They've skated well against one of the most powerful offense in the league. There's a much needed balance between the lines and it's showing.

I can't help but notice that some people are asking for perfection. The league isn't what it used to be : the talent gap between teams has never been so thin. It's unrealistic to think that Montreal will ''dominate'' all his opponents, even the lesser ones. Someone also mentionned the unbearable ''but they're only doing dump and chase'' system argument, which let's be frank needs to die. It is not a system, it's something used by every team (yeah, even Chicago).

Great start of the season, I like what I'm seeing so far.

Also, count me in the Petry bandwagon.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Damn it feels so good having a n.3 defensmen to take the load after the Markov-Subban pairing. It's a luxury we haven't had since Hamrlik signed his contract 6 years ago.

Also, if there's 1 negative point this season to date, it's Dale Weise. I get that he never liked fighting and did it cause he had too to survive in the league, but damn he plays like a ballerina nowadays. His back checking is embarrassing and he's getting pushed around in the corners. Flash is working 3x as hard on the line.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Solid road game for Montreal. Some shady moments for sure, notably when Pittsburgh pushed the pace at the end. There's so much you can do against Malkin - Crosby - Kessel. I can of like Montreal's style so far : more puck possession and more shots. They've skated well against one of the most powerful offense in the league. There's a much needed balance between the lines and it's showing.

I can't help but notice that some people are asking for perfection. The league isn't what it used to be : the talent gap between teams has never been so thin. It's unrealistic to think that Montreal will ''dominate'' all his opponents, even the lesser ones. Someone also mentionned the unbearable ''but they're only doing dump and chase'' system argument, which let's be frank needs to die. It is not a system, it's something used by every team (yeah, even Chicago).

Great start of the season, I like what I'm seeing so far.

Also, count me in the Petry bandwagon.

I agree on everything here.

A lot of the fans on here have their heads in the sand, every team in the NHL dumps it in, in every period of every game. It's dictated by the flow and pace of the game. as you said, it's not a "system" it's a product of the situation.

If you get hemmed into you zone for a minute, any player will try and get to the red line, dump it in and change. That includes Crosby Ovechkin Subban Mcdavid Stamkos etc

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Damn it feels so good having a n.3 defensmen to take the load after the Markov-Subban pairing. It's a luxury we haven't had since Hamrlik signed his contract 6 years ago.

Also, if there's 1 negative point this season to date, it's Dale Weise. I get that he never liked fighting and did it cause he had too to survive in the league, but damn he plays like a ballerina nowadays. His back checking is embarrassing and he's getting pushed around in the corners. Flash is working 3x as hard on the line.

Hamrlik was #2 and at times #1 when Markov was hurt. I agree that having Petry as #3 is a big luxury most teams don't have. Is there a better #3 in the NHL?

Weise is maybe buying too much into playing on a an offensive line and getting away from his more meat and potatoes game.

Team was solid and Price was on point.

Yeah, he wasn't tested a lot early but came up big in the 3rd with Pittsburgh opening it up and stacking their top line.

Carey Price is just unreal. We could be on the bottom of the standings if not for him. This team should always be top 10 in the power rankings in virtue of him being our goaltender.

That's a pretty big exaggeration, moreso for this year. the Habs starting 4-0 has more to do with the team playing well than Price stealing wins. He's done his share with some big saves, late in this game and also the Toronto one, but that's why you pay him 6.5 mil.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I agree that having Petry as #3 is a big luxury most teams don't have. Is there a better #3 in the NHL?

The team's record has a lot to do with this statement. Huge signing. I'm sure that the Oilers are regretting the mismanagement of this player. The manner in which he caught up to Lazar on a breakaway and cleanly negated the scoring chance summarized what this guy brings. And for that matter, Beaulieu and Emelin at #4 and #5 also say a lot about the defensive depth of this team.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Did we get him for a 2nd round pick only? I may be mistaken here.

We got him for a 2nd and a 4th

I like to see him as a blessing to make up for David Fischer mistake - both were drafted same year (2006) and Petry is pretty much what Fischer was expected to become.

Also, pretty sure we got a compensatory 2nd round pick for not signing Fischer, it makes it even better :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad