Analytics & fancy stats thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The one thing I enjoy about analytics is that I think it helps you understand how players can be best utilized and what roles they could exceed in and where are the areas they might struggle. I still don't know enough about it, but if used the right way it does add another dimension to the watching. It's just not my main source on judging a player.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The biggest weakness as for any stat is context. People use them without context and ruin any value they might have. Other weaknesses are "possession" stats like Corsi and Fenwick are determined by shots and/or shot attempts, not calculated in time as the word possession would indicate it should. They also makes the assumption that blocked shocks are bad, even though players are taught to get in the shooting lanes. I mean sure that sliding blocked shot that takes the guy out of position is bad, but blocking it with your shins is just as effective at breaking up a play as knocking the puck off their stick. They also make a ton of assumptions, "high quality scoring chances" are determined by location on the ice, not if the shot was actually a high quality scoring chance or not. A wrist shot from within the home plate area into the goalies logo is a better scoring chance than a wrist shot from outside that area with 2 bodies in front of the goalie. Almost every one of these stats makes an assumption of some kind, which makes them extremely flawed.

That's the word, "Context". I get the basic gist of the idea of "possession metrics" the longer you have the puck, the better, or the more you shoot, the higher your odds... but I also understand the context of someone firing pucks into a chest vs cycling around a goalie and taking shots into an empty net.

Something I've been curious about, is whether a certain coach will have certain types of stats purely based on play style? ie: Whether Hartley's system traded possession for high danger shots (collapse and explode) or if someone else's system trades high danger shots for possession (cycle?)

I have wondered about how this fits with players play styles as well as whether a player in different systems could see different play stats. Or whether stats could shows whether a team relies heavier on forwards, dmen or goalies and a coach knowing this in advance of others could use it to wear down a teams' strongest/weakest link (or avoid it) and just focus on it until it breaks.

I mean, the above might sound like I get it, but I really don't. I can calculate it, but I can't understand how useful it is until I see reasonable applications. We aren't talking about a calculation of Celsius to Fahrenheit which a rule of thumb is close. There are some significant outliers. I can't wrap my mind that way because I don't have a mathematics or scientific way of thinking. Perhaps I will never know.

However, as mentioned, I wouldn't mind a cheat sheet explaining when not to use a stat (for instance). For instance, I'd assume you'd be laughed out of a building for suggesting the idea of using Corsi/Fenwick on a goaltender, no?

Different people have different opinions. What is a stat's "pros and cons" will vary depending on who you ask. For example, some will say Corsi's weakness is it's strongly affected by "context". I say instead its weakness is that a forward's CF60 doesn't mean much.

But in general, it's less a matter of pros and cons and more so that different stats represent different things happening during the game. Some stats end up being replaced by newer stats serving the same purpose more efficiently, others are combined to create a value.

Not to rag on your or single you out, but this explanation is a big problem I have with stats. So much said, but I still don't really hear much other than fluff. It's not just you, it's so many people that are well versed in analytics. It is as if many analytics comments are generalized in a way that just assumes you know how they work, when in reality, someone like me doesn't know or may get it wrong. This really rubs me the wrong way because it reminds me of people in different religions (or lack thereof) calling each other ignorant, but never ever spending the time to help those who may be genuinely interested understand their point of view, understand.

For instance, my attempt at an easier way to understand Corsi would be in more layman terms... (correct if wrong)

Corsi = Shots your team takes vs shots the other teams takes

Gist: The more you shoot vs other team, the higher chances of more goals. Whoever shoots more is likely in the other teams zone more often.

Weakness: Doesn't take into account quality of shots, unlike Fenwick, includes blocked shots. Also, the numbers can be messed up by quality of team mates. Great for forwards, but perhaps lacking for defensive dmen or goalies.

Fenwick is based on corsi and thus similar. However, it attempts to correct the weakness of the quality of shot issue in Corsi which presumably allows it to more accurately measure scoring chances.

Something like that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Simply put, Corsi is +/- for shots. Fenwick is +/- for shot attempts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's the word, "Context". I get the basic gist of the idea of "possession metrics" the longer you have the puck, the better, or the more you shoot, the higher your odds... but I also understand the context of someone firing pucks into a chest vs cycling around a goalie and taking shots into an empty net.

Something I've been curious about, is whether a certain coach will have certain types of stats purely based on play style? ie: Whether Hartley's system traded possession for high danger shots (collapse and explode) or if someone else's system trades high danger shots for possession (cycle?)

I think the way teams play absolutely has an impact on how the numbers translate to results. Look at the Flames from 2014-15 contrasted with 2015-16. In 2014-15, through 82 games, the same result kept happening for the Flames- wins and close losses. Then, after an off-season, all of a sudden the opposite result became the norm. The Corsi slightly improved from 2014-15 to 2015-16.

It's a little bit too much of a coincidence for me to believe that all that changed from one season to the next was luck. Luck could have changed at any time over that 82 game season, and didn't. But as soon as we reached next season, we could do no right. Now, some people argue that the other teams game-planned to stop our system. Others argue that the Flames just weren't defending as effectively. Either way, one team or both slightly altered the way they play, and that led to the same Corsi leading to different results, consistently.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

You're looking at it from a primarily offensive perspective. Why not flip that around? You're the team facing the offensively potent team. If you're a team that regularily gets shelled, you're at the mercy of the other team. A shot-metric stat can't differentiate between Jamie Benn and Mikael Backlund? Sure. Maybe. But on any given night you're going to face good players. Jamie Benn doesn't care who is guarding him - chip him the puck in his corner and he will go to work. The only way to actually shut him down is to get the puck, and take care of the puck. Then the other team is at the mercy of Johnny Gaudreau instead.

He presumed he did. But when you dig into it the Flames gave up more dangerous opportunites than they received throughout Hartley's tenure. And yes, coaching is fundamental to these stats in three ways:

1) How you defend as a team
2) How you break out as a team
3) Who is doing what and how often.

I have wondered about how this fits with players play styles as well as whether a player in different systems could see different play stats.

Skaters might see some change in their success as their roles on different teams change. Some of the Leafs skaters are good examples from last year to this. In general though, since individual stats should be used relatively to teammates, any boost one player gets, others who are relatively better should experience the same boost.

I mean, the above might sound like I get it, but I really don't. I can calculate it, but I can't understand how useful it is until I see reasonable applications. We aren't talking about a calculation of Celsius to Fahrenheit which a rule of thumb is close. There are some significant outliers. I can't wrap my mind that way because I don't have a mathematics or scientific way of thinking. Perhaps I will never know.

Of shot based metrics? Treat them as you would a "defense/dependability/tangible details" stat, if point based metrics are your "offense" stat. And since they are independant of luck, apply them as a likely-to-repeat element of a veteran player's impact.

However, as mentioned, I wouldn't mind a cheat sheet explaining when not to use a stat (for instance).

Don't use Corsi/Fenwick when the sole audience is an obnoxious, whiny peanut gallery. See posts above by certain poster.
Don't use raw Corsi stats for individuals, use CorsiRel and verify linemate effects with WOWY.
Don't use all-situations Corsi, ever. Compare across like situations.
Score-Adjusted Stats are preferred, as corsi rises when a team is trailing in score.
A player usage chart (QoC vs ZS vs Corsi) would a preferred way of comparing over a single stat.
Never use iCorsi or iFenwick unless you're actively examining an individual's specific shot generation. It is a stat that favours shooters over playmakers for obvious reasons.

For instance, I'd assume you'd be laughed out of a building for suggesting the idea of using Corsi/Fenwick on a goaltender, no?

Corsi was actually named after a goalie coach who measured shot attempts rather than shots, because even misses and blocked shots require reaction and physical exertion. It's a good way of comparing goalies' workloads and is to me preferable over comparing basic shot against because sometimes deflections off of intentionally wide shots are what score goals on NHL tenders and the best way to get deflections is with volume.

Fenwick Save Percenrage is a real stat (percentage of Fenwick attempts that did not go into the net) and in many ways when overlayed to something like xFSV% via adj.FSV% is a more accurate to a goalie's puck stopping ability. Goalies don't always stop misses, but since xFSV℅ is an analysis of what types of shots are taken in front of a goalie, missed attempts (like crossbars) still have a danger factor of going in. In many ways there exist missed shot sttempts that are more dangerous than "shots into dead centre of a goalie" and vice versa, so it's just more data.

For instance, my attempt at an easier way to understand Corsi would be in more layman terms... (correct if wrong)

How about:
Events in which your team possessed the puck in the offensive zone and found an opportunity to direct pucks toward the net vs events in which your opponent possessed the puck in your zone and found an opportunity to direct pucks towards your net.

Gist: The more you shoot vs other team, the higher chances of more goals. Whoever shoots more is likely in the other teams zone more often.

How about "the more often you find an opportunity to create events directing pucks towards the net, the higher chance of your skill players finding the puck on their stick to make a play" and "the more often you suppress opportunities for the other team to create events directed towards the net, the lower the chance of their skill players finding the puck on their stick to make a play"?

Lastly I don't like to think of pure offensive zone time as the end goal. Hockey is a three zone game and most of us would agree that winning the neutral zone is huge. A team like Nashville is unspectacular in the offensive zone, and probably overrated in the defensive zone off the puck. But they win the neutral zone and by extension corsi. No, not by trapping '95 Devils style but by pressuring the puck and retrieving the puck and quickly getting it back up the ice. I don't think of the Preds as a cycling team - they just have the puck often because they don't turn it over and they don't waste possessions in their zone that they can nip in the bud in neutral ice.

Weakness: Doesn't take into account quality of shots,

Is a Giordano floater from the left point dangerous? It's not a high quality shot, but it could be double screened by Ferland and Bennett and go post-and-in, it could be deflected in by Tkachuk, it could bounce off a shot blocking Dallas Stars #2 right towards Monahan's stick, it could bounce off a stancion and end up on the right side of the ice on Gaudreau's stick with a wide open net. Shot quality has its value, and there are models that better correlate it to goal scoring, but at the end of the day NHL players are too skilled, too sharp, too coordinated, too quick, and too accurate to take your chances. If you can give yourself a 10% edge in shot attempts (55-45) as the L.A. Kings do, you are giving yourself a significant edge. Even if the shot quality is not top-tier.

the numbers can be messed up by quality of team mates. Great for forwards, but perhaps lacking for defensive dmen or goalies.

It's not "lacking" for defensive dmen of the glass-and-out nature so much as pointing out savagely that they are simply not very good defensively to add to the fact we already know (they are not very good offensively). Good defensive Dmen are not guys like Engelland, they are guys like (for a bottom pair) David Schlemko who may have more visually unappealling miscues but far fewer giveaways in general and and can help the team on its break out. It also points out that those roles in general are out-of-whack - why push a player who can't escape the defensive zone into the defensive zone? So he can shove his glove into the other team's scrub's face? Why not push a player who won't escape the offensive zone into the offensive zone instead? This is where some (not all) context based arguments fall apart.

"Engelland failed spectacularily by the stats - but it's okay because he was used in a shut down role" - they say while not identifying the fact that there are better approaches that better teams employ and better, if difficult to cope with, options for a shut down role.

"Justin Schultz had good advanced stats, but he was sheltered in Pitt and so it doesn't really matter what the stats say" - they say while not identifying that sheltered role as a successful one on a championship team that had no "Engelland" (ironically enough, his former team)

Fenwick is based on corsi and thus similar. However, it attempts to correct the weakness of the quality of shot issue in Corsi which presumably allows it to more accurately measure scoring chances?

Fenwick accounts for blocked shots. It doesn't account for shot quality any more than Corsi. Scoring Chances stats and Expected Goal stats account for shot quality - but the difference is not stark. Bad corsi teams allow more high quality chances and get less high quality chances - because they have the puck less.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Not to rag on your or single you out, but this explanation is a big problem I have with stats. So much said, but I still don't really hear much other than fluff. It's not just you, it's so many people that are well versed in analytics. It is as if many analytics comments are generalized in a way that just assumes you know how they work, when in reality, someone like me doesn't know or may get it wrong. This really rubs me the wrong way because it reminds me of people in different religions (or lack thereof) calling each other ignorant, but never ever spending the time to help those who may be genuinely interested understand their point of view, understand.

Weakness: Doesn't take into account quality of shots, unlike Fenwick, includes blocked shots. Also, the numbers can be messed up by quality of team mates. Great for forwards, but perhaps lacking for defensive dmen or goalies.

Fenwick is based on corsi and thus similar. However, it attempts to correct the weakness of the quality of shot issue in Corsi which presumably allows it to more accurately measure scoring chances.

Something like that?
Yes, that's mostly it. But a few corrections:

- Fenwick became a "thing" because it has been proven blocking a certain % of shots is a repeatable skill. Other stats, such as xGoal% and scoring chance%, actually take into account quality of shots. If anything, Fenwick substracts numerous scoring chances by removing blocked shots.

- The other way around: Corsi is lacking for forwards. It isn't lacking for defensive defenseman.

- Quality of teammates does drive corsi, but you can separate the two so it's not a "flaw". You can use WOWY, which can be found on puckalytics and corsica.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not really.

There are plenty of people on HF that look at a HERO chart and then pretend to know all about a player.

No, it's hardly a fair statement. There are painfully ignorant people among advanced stats users, yeah, but there are also painfully ignorant people among those who reject advanced stats.

Is it annoying running into the people who genuinely think that they know more about a team by not watching them than if they watched them? Sure, but I think there are far more people out there who know to mix advanced stats and actual watching of the games in order to be the most knowledgeable to balance them out. It's unfortunate that among the media, it's often the people who take the boldest stance who get the most hits and rise to the top.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is a very broad and unsubstantiated statement.

Not in the slightest. I've never met a person obsessedwith advanced stats that knows **** about the game. They are too busy with their so called advanced stats to actually pay attention to games. By large they are the least intelligent hockey fans

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not in the slightest. I've never met a person obsessedwith advanced stats that knows **** about the game. They are too busy with their so called advanced stats to actually pay attention to games. By large they are the least intelligent hockey fans

Obsessed with advanced stats, sure. But I wouldn't say that most people who use them are obsessed.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I think the way teams play absolutely has an impact on how the numbers translate to results. Look at the Flames from 2014-15 contrasted with 2015-16. In 2014-15, through 82 games, the same result kept happening for the Flames- wins and close losses. Then, after an off-season, all of a sudden the opposite result became the norm. The Corsi slightly improved from 2014-15 to 2015-16.

It's a little bit too much of a coincidence for me to believe that all that changed from one season to the next was luck. Luck could have changed at any time over that 82 game season, and didn't. But as soon as we reached next season, we could do no right. Now, some people argue that the other teams game-planned to stop our system. Others argue that the Flames just weren't defending as effectively. Either way, one team or both slightly altered the way they play, and that led to the same Corsi leading to different results, consistently.

There are plenty of other things to consider besides their raw corsi though. Shooting percentage, save percentage, career years, etc.

Not to mention the ludicrous overtime/comeback wins, which were obviously amazing, but something that was clearly not going to continue on a season to season basis.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Almost anyone that uses them dismisses everything else, so I stand by what I said.

I refer to them more, now that I am starting to understand them a bit better.

It is possible to use "advanced stats" to supplement the eye test, or more importantly explain "why" in certain situations, but there will always be some stat watchers (advanced or otherwise) that will be ignorant. Also non-stat watchers, to be frank.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I refer to them more, now that I am starting to understand them a bit better.

It is possible to use "advanced stats" to supplement the eye test, or more importantly explain "why" in certain situations, but there will always be some stat watchers (advanced or otherwise) that will be ignorant. Also non-stat watchers, to be frank.
I've admitted they have a use in the right context. But probably 95% of references to advanced stats are by the same posters over and over and over again.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Advanced stats are interesting. I think the vast majority of people use them in an embarrssing fashion though. Dr DT and OKG seem to have a pretty good grip on them. And obviously people who use them at a professional level have a much greater understanding of how to use them in combination.

Specifically corsi pisses me off. Growing up in hockey you are taught to keep players to the outside of the scoring zone. Shots from the outside are ultimately your goalies responsibility. Giving up shots from the outside isn't bad defensive hockey (unless it's Hiller in net).

Corsi, and it's basic 5 on 5 shot differentials, is far too simplistic yet it seems to be almost gospel like truth to some people.
Too much additional context is needed l:
a) quality of teammates
b)quality of competition
c) quality of shots given up
d) offensive abilities like finish, guys like Sean Monahan don't need as many shots as other guys. Guys like Jooris, do, because he sucks at scoring.

To me scoring chances for or against is probably the best statistic. Even then it's still more of a team statistic.

Realistically shot differentials isn't much different that plus/minus. Both can be telling when used in context.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not really.

There are plenty of people on HF that look at a HERO chart and then pretend to know all about a player.

Maybe a HERO chart undervalues secondary assists, but as far as information goes it gives you a lot more information than the flawed and "quite frankly" awful opinions of, say, a poster who has six posts on this page on a topic said poster cannot apparently stand yet has to soapbox on.

Just because you can watch the game does not mean your scouting abilities are useful towards defining winning skills, attributes, and decision-making (Just look at all the paid, professional scouts who encourage one-sided trades like Forsberg for Erat or the yearly buyouts that happen a la Mason Raymond.) These paid pros - including GMs and Presidents of Hockey Operations may have a philosophical bias that clouds their judgement even if there is no recent basis supporting that opinion. When Burke tells you the Flames are too small for the West, does that make it true? There was a quote on the radio a couple years back where this guy was emphatic that the Chicago Blackhawks were too small to defeat the Anaheim Ducks. Yet they won the series.

And because I value, with my eyes, skills that I feel correlate to corsi and thus winning, I get labelled by people like this for not watching the game. I have never substituted watching hockey games for watching spreadsheets. But I can also tell you I have not watched 3690 NHL games over the past three years while paying attention to 40 different individuals in each one. I hope those people on these forums who claim their eyes, complete with aformentioned philosophical bias, are more reliable than the stats, have. There is way more truth I can refer to in the stats than in peoples' opinions. So when the advanced stats said Joe Colborne was a passenger on his line, and the "people" said he was good at so-called "possession" due to his reach in Corners, it was an interesting dichotomy. I guess we know which side was more accurate to the truth.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I've got to say as one of those "statsheets over everything else" people, you guys nail it.

Those who go on HFBoards and get invested enough they look into hockey fancy stats... we don't watch hockey. Maybe like 5-10 time a year at best. Because that makes sense.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
No, it's hardly a fair statement. There are painfully ignorant people among advanced stats users, yeah, but there are also painfully ignorant people among those who reject advanced stats.

Is it annoying running into the people who genuinely think that they know more about a team by not watching them than if they watched them? Sure, but I think there are far more people out there who know to mix advanced stats and actual watching of the games in order to be the most knowledgeable to balance them out. It's unfortunate that among the media, it's often the people who take the boldest stance who get the most hits and rise to the top.

It's probably just one of those scenarios where the bad ones stick out more in memory, but anytime a trade happens, or hell even just a trade proposal people come crawling out of the woodworks to talk about advanced stats of a player they don't watch.

Maybe a HERO chart undervalues secondary assists, but as far as information goes it gives you a lot more information than the flawed and "quite frankly" awful opinions of, say, a poster who has six posts on this page on a topic said poster cannot apparently stand yet has to soapbox on.

Just because you can watch the game does not mean your scouting abilities are useful towards defining winning skills, attributes, and decision-making (Just look at all the paid, professional scouts who encourage one-sided trades like Forsberg for Erat or the yearly buyouts that happen a la Mason Raymond.) These paid pros - including GMs and Presidents of Hockey Operations may have a philosophical bias that clouds their judgement even if there is no recent basis supporting that opinion. When Burke tells you the Flames are too small for the West, does that make it true? There was a quote on the radio a couple years back where this guy was emphatic that the Chicago Blackhawks were too small to defeat the Anaheim Ducks. Yet they won the series.

And because I value, with my eyes, skills that I feel correlate to corsi and thus winning, I get labelled by people like this for not watching the game. I have never substituted watching hockey games for watching spreadsheets. But I can also tell you I have not watched 3690 NHL games over the past three years while paying attention to 40 different individuals in each one. I hope those people on these forums who claim their eyes, complete with aformentioned philosophical bias, are more reliable than the stats, have. There is way more truth I can refer to in the stats than in peoples' opinions. So when the advanced stats said Joe Colborne was a passenger on his line, and the "people" said he was good at so-called "possession" due to his reach in Corners, it was an interesting dichotomy. I guess we know which side was more accurate to the truth.

I didn't mean it as a jab at your or Dr. Despite that we might not always agree, I cannot deny you two have a far superior understanding of advanced stats, even if I have a hard time aligning my eye test with them sometimes. You and I certainly won't disagree on Colborne being a passenger.

As for the guys with 6 posts yeah sure I absolutely agree. My beef is when some random Habs/Leafs fan with 10K+ posts comes in and starts spouting stuff like saying "I don't see much of him, his advanced stats are such and such, therefore he's not worth anything blah blah blah". When usually, they are taking a very narrow slice of the stats to backup their own opinion, even if its just a smaller part of a bigger picture.

As discussed by Snipe's, Corsi to many is a flawed stat when used solely by itself.

I think even professionals have biases, you are absolutely right. I think it's merely human nature. See you example of Shea Weber I've seen you posting in on the Gio thread on the main forum.

Personally, I have a hard time separating Weber from the Weber that has been arguably Canada's top defenseman for nearly a decade at international events like the Olympics. He had an awful playoffs, and in the regular season sometimes its hard to not just assume "he must have just had a bad game" when you don't see them play nearly as much. But that is where the consistency of advanced stats becomes more interesting.

However, the problem is that there are specific examples where advanced stats seem completely out to lunch. My favorite of these is Patrick Weircoch. I had a poster try to tell me that advanced stats proved that Weircoch was carrying the dead corpse of Cody Ceci as a pairing. Anyone who has EVER watched a Sens game will tell you it is the exact opposite.

I'm slowly coming around to them myself, especially as I learn more and more. But I still have a hard time reading posts by guys like Oilerbear and not feeling a little frustrated.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
However, the problem is that there are specific examples where advanced stats seem completely out to lunch. My favorite of these is Patrick Weircoch. I had a poster try to tell me that advanced stats proved that Weircoch was carrying the dead corpse of Cody Ceci as a pairing. Anyone who has EVER watched a Sens game will tell you it is the exact opposite.

I don't know a whole lot about Cody Ceci or Wiercioch, but I would suggest digging deeper into why these stats are the way they are for those individuals. The stats measure what's going on on the ice. They won't measure how or why in their current form unless there is another that does and if so it should be referenced.

Is Ceci regularily losing short area races to pucks defending the cycle? Track it. Is Wiercioch playing a more aggressive gap on the rush? Track it. Which one is more successful at clean breakouts vs glass-and-out "clears" that result in the other team waltzing right back in? Which one is better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone, or if it leaks out, skating back to get it and firing it back up the ice before the oppone t sets up the forecheck?

When watching, it's easy to favour safe-appearing plays over risky-appearing ones such as:
- attacking the cycle passively and giving the opponent time and space as long as they're "outside"
- staying at home at the red line even while your partner is in good position to recover
- refusing to pass across your own crease (sometimes it IS the correct play)
- playing hot potato with the puck rather than risk turning it over trying to escape the forecheck with a clean pass or individual speed/skill

But long term are these attributes successful? Debateable. There are times when they are necessary. As a tertiary option. When the safe play is the primary option, puck possession will suffer and the advanced stats with them.

And it's also easy to favour physical play - going for the hit over sound stick-based play. But is what you are favouring really mitigating the opponent's success? Has your Tunnel of Death made the opponent cough up the puck or did they dish it off and take the hit? Maybe it is working, but maybe it's not. The possession stats can indicate your success while being a fan can make you overvalue the nice hit that still resulted in a pretty ordinary offensive sequence (and remember, defensively, ordinary offensive sequences are still bad.) A perfect setup to a slot sniper might seem worse and make you more angry, but that does not mean a setup to a passer at the top of the circles cannot be just as dangerous at the very end.

If it's with-or-without-you being used as the basis, check the stats deeper (SuperWOWY) - who are the alternative teammates on the "without"? Is the pairing being used primarily with a certain forward line? Now it's just my thought process but I would do a superWOWY and completely remove Erik Karlsson from the equation as he can boost anybody's on-ice performance single-handedly - it's who he is. Is Wiercioch performkng better without Ceci/Karlsson than with Ceci than Ceci is without Wiercioch/Karlsson? It may still not lead you to the conclusion you're hoping for. All the more reason to go back to thr video to see why Ceci's stats are as they are. Your belief of who is carrying a pair may be guided by your belief that the things Ceci does well are more valuable than the things Wiercioch does well and the things Wiercioch does poorly are more costly than the things Ceci does poorly - but is that very belief accurate? Is it not possible that the things Ceci does poorly are making the things Wiercioch does poorly more costly than need be, and the things Wiercioch does well are making the things Ceci does well appear more useful than need be?

I can't visualize how Ceci plays in my mind right now. I'm a lot more familiar with Methot/Karlsson/Anderson and the forwards - for obvious reasons - when I watch the Sens. But where there's smoke...

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't disagree with what you are trying to make me understand OKG. Small less flashy things can count just as much if not more so.

But in the most basic sense possible Weircoch just is barely NHL caliber. He doesn't skate well, he doesn't pass well under pressure, he's average at physicality, etc. etc. He's also incredibly prone to boneheaded mistakes with passes.

Ceci is arguably a second pairing guy, or at absolute worst a young #5 with middle pairing upside. He skates well, moves the puck well and is at worst slightly below average defensively. He plays well positionally and uses his stick well.

This is one of those instances where I don't honestly care what the hell advanced stats say. I'm thrilled that Weircoch is gone off the Sens and equally as happy that Ceci will likely be a long term piece for the Senators, and no amount of advanced stats is going to convince me otherwise.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
If it's with-or-without-you being used as the basis, check the stats deeper (SuperWOWY) - who are the alternative teammates on the "without"? Is the pairing being used primarily with a certain forward line? Now it's just my thought process but I would do a superWOWY and completely remove Erik Karlsson from the equation as he can boost anybody's on-ice performance single-handedly - it's who he is. Is Wiercioch performkng better without Ceci/Karlsson than with Ceci than Ceci is without Wiercioch/Karlsson? It may still not lead you to the conclusion you're hoping for.
He deserves some credit for his numbers with Karlsson... and everyone else too while we're at it.

(all stats are zone, score & venue adjusted)

With Weircoch

Partner | TOI (minutes) in 2014-16 | Corsi% | xGoal% | GF | GA | Goal +/-
CODY.CECI | 792.9 | 47.89 | 49.1 | 24.25 | 24.13 | 0.12
ERIK.KARLSSON | 332.33 | 55.73 | 56.5 | 20.54 | 13.11 | 7.43
MARK.BOROWIECKI | 186.74 | 46.51 | 49.1 | 4.52 | 8.92 | -4.4
ERIC.GRYBA | 160.31 | 54.33 | 54.92 | 4.69 | 7.85 | -3.16
CHRIS.WIDEMAN | 105.68 | 46.54 | 48.62 | 4.44 | 2.13 | 2.31
Total/Average || 50.2 | 51.648 | 58.44 | 56.14 | 51.0%

Without Weircoch

Partner | CF% | xGF% | GF | GA | Goal +/-
CODY.CECI | 44.62 | 46.32 | 59.89 | 65.1 | -5.21
ERIK.KARLSSON | 51.07 | 49.44 | 135.75 | 136.99 | -1.24
MARK.BOROWIECKI | 47.01 | 45.89 | 52.81 | 47.82 | 4.99
ERIC.GRYBA | 48.19 | 47.69 | 33.27 | 30.47 | 2.8
CHRIS.WIDEMAN | 44.51 | 45.87 | 30.35 | 26.55 | 3.8
Total/Average | 47.08 | 47.042 | 312.07 | 306.93 | 50.4%

Clearly he did something fine.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really enjoy Rob Vollman. I think he does a good job of using analytics to backup what he's seeing. I usually find his assessments to be pretty accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad