Analytic projects

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Hey everyone, I've been looking at the pinned threads and some of the more recent threads to find out what's been going on in here - some of them are fairly old, and inactive.

Looking to see what the hockey analytics community here have been working on and have ideas for. I work with some people that do sports analytics (not just hockey) to make predictions and other stuff to make sports bets.

Wanted to see if there are any collaboration opportunities.

Feel free to DM or use this thread to post a small intro with what your expertise is. Not looking for you to quit your day job or anything lol, just seeing if there are some opportunities to work together and see what happens! (you will be compensated and who knows maybe we will work together - we have other data scientists on our team)

mods - hope sorry if this breaks any rules.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Recently I've updated my hockey version of the Marcels in R and released the code and the results. I also have been working on a version of a web scraper for CHL games. The plan is to make it more user friendly and allow anyone to get game level data if they want it. I'm not sure when that will be ready, but I'm hoping for some time before the end of the Summer.

I've also been dabbling with that CHL data and have been using it to create a simple model for predicting CHL prospect success. It's my first time really using logistic models outside of a classroom setting, so it's been a fun experience.

Lastly, I've been tweaking my own fantasy hockey projection model. It's similar to the Marcels, but it's a bit more in-depth and has number of moving parts. In testing and in practice it produces results quite similar to that of Dom Luszczyszyn's model. I'm hoping to create another model using regularization techniques; I have a feeling the current iteration of the DtZ model suffers a bit from overfitting.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
@awesomo Is any of your team's work public? I feel that I'm a fairly successful recreational sports bettor (8.5% ROI life-to-date) but I'm always interested in learning more and consuming any kind of helpful information I can!

I haven't built any sports prediction models of my own, but I do have somewhat of a cursory knowledge of R and linear/logistic regression, through work from university. If there's anything you're allowed to share, I'd be totally interested.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Hey thanks for everyone that looked in here posted or PMed.

Will reach out if we see there's any opportunity to connect. Lots of cool work being done but sometimes things are just out of scope for us.

@bossram, unfortunately our work is not public. Great ROI though, keep it up!

Reactions: bossram

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad