Proposal: Anaheim’s Fifth round pick (originally from EDM) to Kraken to leave Volkov&Steel alone. B/R idea

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If that's the case, they would be dealing from a position with leverage and they would absolutely feign interest in one of the two in order to squeeze Anaheim for a higher pick. I don't think a 5th even starts the conversation though, I doubt Anaheim would even bother proposing it.

Yeah, unless Anaheim doesn't value them at more than a 5th rounder. Steel is, at highest, 3rd on the depth charts for centers on the Ducks behind Zegras and Lundestrom. If the Ducks end up with Beniers and/or if Groulx continues to improve, Steel could be pushed down even more or might be part of the glut of depth wings Anaheim has. Volkov, though good in his short stint, is a middle/bottom 6 winger on Anaheim with plenty of depth pieces coming up in the next few years. It would be nice to keep both, absolutely not necessary for the future of the club though. There is no way they were going to get a 2nd to protect those two (especially with how high the 2nd rounder is) and iffy on a 3rd rounder too. And it might not have been Anaheim proposing it to them, it could have been Seattle asking what would Anaheim offer to not take player A/B/C and Anaheim responding with an offer. If it ended up being "here's a 5th to not pick those two, take it or leave it" they might take it if they're looking at someone else. Honestly, I think Anaheim is just better off not making a deal. They might lose a decent secondary piece, but they'll have enough prospects coming up that will be almost as good or better. Might as well keep the pick and hope you hit a home run on it. Ducks have plenty of depth in the pipeline, it's the stars they are missing.

Reactions: StarterHart

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Yeah, unless Anaheim doesn't value them at more than a 5th rounder. Steel is, at highest, 3rd on the depth charts for centers on the Ducks behind Zegras and Lundestrom. If the Ducks end up with Beniers and/or if Groulx continues to improve, Steel could be pushed down even more or might be part of the glut of depth wings Anaheim has. Volkov, though good in his short stint, is a middle/bottom 6 winger on Anaheim with plenty of depth pieces coming up in the next few years. It would be nice to keep both, absolutely not necessary for the future of the club though. There is no way they were going to get a 2nd to protect those two (especially with how high the 2nd rounder is) and iffy on a 3rd rounder too. And it might not have been Anaheim proposing it to them, it could have been Seattle asking what would Anaheim offer to not take player A/B/C and Anaheim responding with an offer. If it ended up being "here's a 5th to not pick those two, take it or leave it" they might take it if they're looking at someone else. Honestly, I think Anaheim is just better off not making a deal. They might lose a decent secondary piece, but they'll have enough prospects coming up that will be almost as good or better. Might as well keep the pick and hope you hit a home run on it. Ducks have plenty of depth in the pipeline, it's the stars they are missing.

Pretty sure this isn't either of those things, but rather it's just bleacher report being bleacher report and publishing terribly uninformed nonsense that has no basis in reality, but yeah I hear you. I agree that Anaheim (and most teams really) should just protect who they can and lose a player. The cost for these kind of deals that has been established by the Vegas expansion is just too much in most cases, and while Seattle may not get quite as much as Vegas got, there's no way they settle for that big of a difference in value. Certainly not a 5th to ignore 2 players.

Reactions: lwvs84

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Steel is someone who needs to move to LW to see if he has any offensive ability he can further develop. He's just not fast or big enough to produce offensively at Center.
Steel produces like a 4th line Center.
If Seattle wants Steel let them have him, it is a gamble if he improves at LW and if he doesn't then he becomes a 4th line Center.

Volkov can already be a 3rd liner who goes to the net and is solid on the PK.
Jones is a fast & big LW but he lacks the brains to do anything with his tools.
Mahura is a D prospect with offensive upside that hasn't shown much, he is nowhere near the level of prospect that Theodore/Montour were.

Anaheim will be fine with losing any of these guys.
If Seattle believes Henrique would be better for them in putting together a competitive roster in its first season then he could be an option.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
What is Anaheim's projected protection list? I had them at 7-3-1 as follows:

F - Silfverberg, Rakell, Heinen, Terry, Lundestrom, Jones, Steel
D - Fowler, Manson, Lindholm
G - Gibson

Who else do they really need to protect (honest question, I don't follow the Ducks at all).

I've just assumed that means Larsson is lost to Seattle. They don't need to protect veteran bigger name players, do they? They put Henrique on waivers earlier this year. Shattenkirk isn't essential. Losing one of Volkov or Larsson doesn't like a very big deal to me, just as an outsider. :dunno:

EDIT: I see the post above entered while I typed this. So Fleury is seen as that desirable a protection? Ok, thanks!
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but from the looks of it on Cap Friendly, Kesler is on LTIR and has a no movement clause. Wouldn’t Kesler have to be protected unless he waives it?

In theory he’s retired and at home but technically he’s still under contract with a NMC. Either way, I don’t see why he wouldn’t waive.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Steel is someone who needs to move to LW to see if he has any offensive ability he can further develop. He's just not fast or big enough to produce offensively at Center.
Steel produces like a 4th line Center.
If Seattle wants Steel let them have him, it is a gamble if he improves at LW and if he doesn't then he becomes a 4th line Center.

Volkov can already be a 3rd liner who goes to the net and is solid on the PK.
Jones is a fast & big LW but he lacks the brains to do anything with his tools.
Mahura is a D prospect with offensive upside that hasn't shown much, he is nowhere near the level of prospect that Theodore/Montour were.

Anaheim will be fine with losing any of these guys.
If Seattle believes Henrique would be better for them in putting together a competitive roster in its first season then he could be an option.

That’s what everyone said about losing Shea Theodore, and now he’s a first line pairing defenseman in Vegas arguably. Don’t count chickens before they hatch. Volkov has solid 2nd line potential already, and is still growing.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but from the looks of it on Cap Friendly, Kesler is on LTIR and has a no movement clause. Wouldn’t Kesler have to be protected unless he waives it?

In theory he’s retired and at home but technically he’s still under contract with a NMC. Either way, I don’t see why he wouldn’t waive.
I don't believe injured players are required to be protected if their injury is significant and they have been out long-term.

From the expansion blurb

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

I am assuming Kesler may fall into this catagory.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That’s what everyone said about losing Shea Theodore, and now he’s a first pairing defenseman in Vegas arguably. Don’t count chickens before they hatch. Volkov has solid 2nd line potential already, and is still growing.
No it isn't. Theodore was one of thee best prospects at the time and many knew they gave up quite a prospect for protecting Manson/Vatanen.
Thru his development Theodore was one of the most highly prized prospects. Many just thought that Montour was even better than him.

Can't compare Steel and Volkov to Theodore because Steel and Volkov are not prospects anymore.
Even when Steel had his big WHL season after being drafted he was never as highly listed on prospect lists as Theodore was during his prospect days.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Keslers contract changes to a MTC in the final year of the contract, thus no longer a NMC.

Reactions: Canadian Game

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
No it isn't. Theodore was one of thee best prospects at the time and many knew they gave up quite a prospect for protecting Manson/Vatanen.
Thru his development Theodore was one of the most highly prized prospects. Many just thought that Montour was even better than him.

Can't compare Steel and Volkov to Theodore because Steel and Volkov are not prospects anymore.
Even when Steel had his big WHL season after being drafted he was never as highly listed on prospect lists as Theodore was during his prospect days.

Youre forgetting Anaheim gave up Theodore because he was expendable due to belief in Vatanen, and Manson due to RHD issues, and other loaded defenseman issues. Look how the tables have turned is my point. And I never once read how valuable Theodore was to Anaheim over sending Vegas Manson or Vatanen as his replacement.

Anaheim is doing the same thing here, but with a winger in Volkov who can put up points on a lousy Ducks team that is young and cheap.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
If you want to get rid of Volkov fine. Anaheim has already been burned once for Theodore by selecting Manson and Vatanen over him. Do it for Volkov, and we shall see where the dice rolls again.

But I don’t like to dice roll. I would rather offer picks to not be in the predicament again, and losing out on a solid Volkov that is working here already.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If I were a GM I would be very careful offering something for Seattle to sway them one way or the other. It did not end well for those who did (notably Florida, Anaheim, Minny)

Just take the L and expose the guy

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Ron Francis said it's gonna take a pick and a prospect as the price for not taking someone on a team.

No way they would take just a 5th over one of those guys.

Kraken don't have to play nice.

It sucks that most of us will lose a decent young player, Sabres last expansion lost Will Carrier to protect Ullmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad