Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Ducks acquire Mathieu Perreault for 4th & John Mitchell

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Traded for a 2014 4th round pick and John Mitchell. So basically we gave up nothing for a 0.5 PPG guy. But where are we going to use him? Hardly a 4th liner...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sounds like Murray was trying to buy low. The Caps needed to move a player, right?

jeffl97

Dec 5, 2010
Could mean Bonino wasn't impressing and he gets a chance at the 2nd C slot?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think he can play both wing and centre. I wonder if one of the wingers will be out for longer than expected or if he's gonna play C.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I like it, if only purely in terms of value. Perrault has proven that he can produce at this level to some degree and Boudreau knows him very well. He didn't fit with Oates, so as it looked like they might even have to waive him, the Ducks didn't feel like taking their chances with someone else claiming him before them, which I think would have happened. It's a nice little addition at the lowest of risks, really.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
the deal itself isnt bad...im starting to think BM has a forward hording issue though...seems like the logical pick up would have been on D

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
We are a semi-slow team and he is trying to address that, the same reason Etem will be on the roster and not in the AHL. (as I have said before)

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Not sure why we wouldn't have tried signing Grabo instead (When he was available) if we were looking to acquire someone for the C position.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Just say no mas!

I guess theres a phone call late at night, "BM. You want this guy? Cheap. Been calling around all evening. No one is picking up."

BM, "I really dont need him, but i guess we can send you something and i can figure out the roster later."

Looks like the youngsters are going to be in the AHL.

Better than Staubitz on opening night roster.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Would have rather seen us target a guy like Konopka for a similar price.

I disagree. Konopka's only attractive asset is his ability to win draws, but he negatively makes up for it by being on the ice after having won 6/10 draws. He's just not a good player, on either side of the puck. Perrault is far more attractive than that.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
the interesting thing is i believe perreault can play LW correct??
im still assuming this means holland/rakell are both in the minors to start. and bonino/perreault might compete for that 2C spot. although i'd guess that bonino gets first crack at it

although this certainly isn't getting us any bigger in size. we already wilt under heavy forecheck, perreault is also a small guy that can get pushed around, especially in our division

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
According to Caps fans, this guy isn't exactly a speedster.

Well considering our coach was his old coach I think he knows more than some fans on this forum.

"Adding a young, quality center to the mix makes us that much deeper. I thought we needed some additional speed and scoring, and he is a feisty competitor."

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well considering our coach was his old coach I think he knows more than some fans on this forum.

"Adding a young, quality center to the mix makes us that much deeper. I thought we needed some additional speed and scoring, and he is a feisty competitor."

Yeah, to me the key there is "scoring" because I doubt the difference in speed is going to be very significant.

Uh... and that was Murray who said that, not Boudreau.

Hariken

Apr 7, 2013
Legit gif of Perreault's reaction to the trade

sGE1ZCL.jpg

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I disagree. Konopka's only attractive asset is his ability to win draws, but he negatively makes up for it by being on the ice after having won 6/10 draws. He's just not a good player, on either side of the puck. Perrault is far more attractive than that.

I realize Perrault is far more talented, but I think Konopka is a better fit as a 4C/spare forward. Can help in the face-off department as you mentioned, and adds some grit. I'm worried that this lineup doesn't have enough push-back.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah, to me the key there is "scoring" because I doubt the difference in speed is going to be very significant.

If we start Etem in the AHL our team is top 5 slowest in the league (forward wise) would you agree? Cogs has speed but everyone else is average.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If we start Etem in the AHL our team is top 5 slowest in the league (forward wise) would you agree? Cogs has speed but everyone else is average.

No, I wouldn't agree with that.

And I think you're exaggerating the problem. Once our blue line gets some games under their belt, and solidifies, I think you'll see a faster team. That's where speed starts.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Can't say I know anything about Perreault. Seems to have really good numbers for what we gave up. But it gets back to the too many bodies at forward thing.

He does seem like a good piece if they were to try to make the 4th line a scoring line.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
this doesnt seem to address a need or really upgade us anywhere...i dont get it, but i also dont know to much about perreault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad