Confirmed Trade: [ANA/TBL] Alexander Volkov for Antoine Morand and conditional 2023 7th round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Morand was ranked by Wheeler as the #15 prospect in Anaheim's system, between McLaughlin and Benoit. Was a late 2nd rounder in 2017, so he's probably the main piece for Tampa here, not the 2023 7th.
In year 2 in the AHL. 21 points in 74 games over these 2 seasons. If he ever makes the NHL, it would be in a bottom 6 role, but that' seems so far off. He seems like a contract that TB had to take back.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Conditions on the pick

upload_2021-3-24_21-9-47.png

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In year 2 in the AHL. 21 points in 74 games over these 2 seasons. If he ever makes the NHL, it would be in a bottom 6 role, but that' seems so far off. He seems like a contract that TB had to take back.

Syracuse just lost its best C with Colton staying up in Tampa. I don't think they targeted Morand specifically but they were probably looking for C replacement. They signed Huntington and Barre-Boulet out of the Q around the time Morand was there so they probably saw him a bit and think he could be useful in the A. I don't think he has an NHL future but hopefully could be a good AHLer for them.

With guys like Stephens and Joseph getting two year deals this offseason and Volkov just a one year it seemed like this would be his last year in the organization unless he took a step he never did. He was a decent depth forward to have around but he won't be missed. The return is light but he didn't show anything to warrant much more. Him and Morand were drafted the same year and round too. So Tampa gets a reset on a guy who's younger and waiver exempt.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Were Volkov's advanced stats any good? I feel like for such a stacked team, when depth guys get shipped out they often come out much improved with the increased opportunity (not necessarily comparing the two, but we got JT Miller after he was a 3rd line guy I believe, and look how he's turned out).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He has all the talent you'd want a young player to have but after he was sent down to the AHL for a 3rd season I think he had enough. He flamed out big time and I think any genuine desire he had to succeed at the NHL level was done away by then.

If the Ducks are smart they'll let him go home for a while and retain his rights because this kid is homesick

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I saw ANA/TB and got my hopes up for a second.

Still, nice to get a little bit of cap space and Volkov should benefit from a change of scenery.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
So interesting to me that for the longest time Murray shied away from Russian players, and now there’s two that have been added to the organization over the span of less than 6 months. I love to see it, because that’s a tremendous talent pool that was being neglected.

I wonder, too, if this move was also meant to serve as a signal to Galimov that Anaheim is committed to being an attractive destination for Russian players & perhaps coax him over to NA sooner

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Just curious, what would Joseph's price tag be? Would love to give him a shot at C on the Avs.
I'll leave that up to some of my comrades that watch more games than I do. I always come away thinking Joseph has the speed to play our style and just needs to keep throwing pucks on the net and he could be something special in our bottom-6, but I can't really give a more sophisticated analysis than that.

EDIT: He's also making less than 800k for another year, so prying him loose if he's anything close to effectual is kind of a tall ask with our cap sitaution.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
A Russian on the Ducks? This can’t be right.

The Ducks have more Russian skaters in the organization currently then they have had in almost 20 years now that this trade has happened. If he actually plays for the Ducks it will be the first skater in almost 20 years.

Reactions: thrillhous

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
The Ducks have more Russian skaters in the organization currently then they have had in almost 20 years now that this trade has happened. If he actually plays for the Ducks it will be the first skater in almost 20 years.
Was Chistov the last?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Volkov just needs some motivation. He's a total flight risk right now. Colton just pushed him out and Volkov having to clear waivers just complicated the situation with injuries piling up, players returning, and Colton pushing Volkov out of town.

I would have thought Brisebois could have gotten more for Volkov if he shopped him around more, but I guess time was of the essence with Stephens returning.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Were Volkov's advanced stats any good? I feel like for such a stacked team, when depth guys get shipped out they often come out much improved with the increased opportunity (not necessarily comparing the two, but we got JT Miller after he was a 3rd line guy I believe, and look how he's turned out).
Possible, could be the next Verhaeghe. But not sure his tool box has all the tools.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This seems like yet another guy who would never get a chance on Tampa's top lines but he might be good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad