Confirmed with Link: [ANA/TB] Alexander Volkov for Antoine Morand and a conditional 2023 7th round pick

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'd say one or both of the Gulls forwards on the taxi squad goes before he does, probably both. San Diego being low on forwards isn't a new problem and like I said, if they wanted Steel there he'd be there. Maybe something changed but I doubt it.

Either way doubtful they view Volkov as a center. They call him a RW in the press release and there's no shortage of centers here.
I thought about that too but that just opens spots on the taxi squad that have to be filled. I don't know, I just would rather steel played somewhere than sit in the box for multiple games.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If anything, I'm glad management is being proactive about monitoring teams in a position to shed players because of cap reasons, especially good teams whose bottom of the roster is obviously better than ours. Getting incrementally better talent is still stepping in the right direction.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I thought about that too but that just opens spots on the taxi squad that have to be filled. I don't know, I just would rather steel played somewhere than sit in the box for multiple games.

They're already carrying more than they need on the taxi squad, a lot of that is probably the road trip which also means no one's going down anytime soon. After that if they have 14 forwards on the roster they could realistically have just Backes, Stolarz and 2 D on there if they want. This likely also isn't the only move, I am surprised they haven't done more to help SD though.

I get wanting him to play but he's only missed five games and the scratches seemed to have helped Terry, I don't think he's at all an odd man out just yet. Development-wise I don't think there's anything to learn for him in the AHL and a demotion is IMO more likely to kill his confidence than help it.

Reactions: Static
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Haha yeah I have no idea what he was talking about with that one. Didn't realize it was only 3 players. Maybe he was talking defense. This was at the beginning of the season before we realized he sucked so badly. Idk. This guy is very close with a few coaches and knows Bob but I guess some things get lost in translation.

It's a bit more understandable at the start where they maybe wanted to protect Silf, Rico and Milano or maybe even Grant but I'm guessing they realize they can leave them all unprotected with little worry.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
They're already carrying more than they need on the taxi squad, a lot of that is probably the road trip which also means no one's going down anytime soon. After that if they have 14 forwards on the roster they could realistically have just Backes, Stolarz and 2 D on there if they want. This likely also isn't the only move, I am surprised they haven't done more to help SD though.

I get wanting him to play but he's only missed five games and the scratches seemed to have helped Terry, I don't think he's at all an odd man out just yet. Development-wise I don't think there's anything to learn for him in the AHL and a demotion is IMO more likely to kill his confidence than help it.
Oh I didn't realize they had stacked more players on the taxi squad than needed. That's good then.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Lightning fan here. There’s a good chance this trade ends up amounting to a whole lot of nothing for both sides, but if anybody is going to end up a winner it’ll be you guys. I was never high on Volkov the way a lot of Lightning fans were - I find his attitude, his motor, and his consistency to all be lacking - but he did show occasional flashes of talent so there’s at least an outside chance he succeeds with the change of scenery.

Just don’t expect a repeat of Marchessault or Verhaeghe - both of those guys showed a lot more during their time in Tampa and I was sad to see them go. Volkov isn’t anywhere close to their level. For us this is a case of a guy who couldn’t do anything with the opportunity he was given and who was passed on the depth chart by four players (Joseph, Stephens, Colton, and Smith) with less talent but far superior drive. With Stephens coming back we needed a roster spot so we got what we could for Volkov rather than potentially lose him for free. I’m not saying there’s no chance he improves and ends up being a valuable player for you guys - only that I’m not particularly sad to see him go and despite him being the best piece in the deal am perfectly happy with a crapshoot of a pick and a less talented but harder-working prospect in return.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Not sure where this guy in the tweets is getting his info from, but we've never seen Volkov play center. He's been exclusively a winger in the AHL and NHL. I would also not characterize him as a two-way player, and he has yet to play any special teams at the NHL level.

Volkov has decent skill, good speed, he's willing to be physical, and I think he has a better scoring touch than what he's shown, but he hasn't put it all together yet. He gets pushed over easily, hockey iq is low, he's inconsistent in effort, and he's more of a passenger than a guy who will drive his line.

With Volkov, he's kinda been the prospect you keep waiting to take the next step but still hasn't. That's allowed other prospects to jump him on the depth chart and what eventually pushed him out of Tampa Bay. That said, I believe there's still some untapped potential and he's a good player to take a chance on. Maybe a fresh start and some better opportunities with Anaheim will help him. For the past 2 seasons, he's been on the 4th line next to guys like Cedric Paquette and Pat Maroon, but he just doesn't fit there in that kind of role. It would not surprise me if you guys had better luck giving him linemates that play a different style than that. Best of luck with Volkov.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Meh trade. I haven't had high hopes for Morand at any point really. I doubt he'll be more than an energy player in the NHL and that would be a surprise if he became a mainstay. Volkov is ahead in development as he has managed to play NHL games in Tampa, though I am not happy to hear about his motor and confidence issues. Then again it's not like he has a long contract or anything so he's not going to be problem. I am just pleased that Anaheim is getting these Russian players, first Galimov and now Volkov (did I forget someone?).

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I find his attitude, his motor, and his consistency to all be lacking - but he did show occasional flashes of talent

He gets pushed over easily, hockey iq is low, he's inconsistent in effort, and he's more of a passenger than a guy who will drive his line.

So he will be in our top six.

In all seriousness, thanks for the info on him, much appreciated.

Reactions: ultra63

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Meh trade. I haven't had high hopes for Morand at any point really. I doubt he'll be more than an energy player in the NHL and that would be a surprise if he became a mainstay. Volkov is ahead in development as he has managed to play NHL games in Tampa, though I am not happy to hear about his motor and confidence issues. Then again it's not like he has a long contract or anything so he's not going to be problem. I am just pleased that Anaheim is getting these Russian players, first Galimov and now Volkov (did I forget someone?).

It is shuffling the deck type deal, but, as you noted, Volkov is further along his development. Adding Volkov is an incremental improvement and a tiny gamble. In Tampa, Volkov is buried. In Anaheim, sadly, there's a chance he gets a far better path. That may improve his confidence and frame of mind.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Not sure where this guy in the tweets is getting his info from, but we've never seen Volkov play center. He's been exclusively a winger in the AHL and NHL. I would also not characterize him as a two-way player, and he has yet to play any special teams at the NHL level.

Volkov has decent skill, good speed, he's willing to be physical, and I think he has a better scoring touch than what he's shown, but he hasn't put it all together yet. He gets pushed over easily, hockey iq is low, he's inconsistent in effort, and he's more of a passenger than a guy who will drive his line.

With Volkov, he's kinda been the prospect you keep waiting to take the next step but still hasn't. That's allowed other prospects to jump him on the depth chart and what eventually pushed him out of Tampa Bay. That said, I believe there's still some untapped potential and he's a good player to take a chance on. Maybe a fresh start and some better opportunities with Anaheim will help him. For the past 2 seasons, he's been on the 4th line next to guys like Cedric Paquette and Pat Maroon, but he just doesn't fit there in that kind of role. It would not surprise me if you guys had better luck giving him linemates that play a different style than that. Best of luck with Volkov.
Interesting, burke must be mistaken then.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
So he gets a 20 game look with the Ducks before heading to the KHL as a RFA. (Unless those 20 games go really well.) Some Lightning fans said he is/was homesick.

His qualifying offer is cheap, so I imagine the Ducks will retain his NHL rights either way.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So he gets a 20 game look with the Ducks before heading to the KHL as a RFA. (Unless those 20 games go really well.) Some Lightning fans said he is/was homesick.

His qualifying offer is cheap, so I imagine the Ducks will retain his NHL rights either way.

Pretty much my take, also a roster placeholder so that we aren't forcing more kids into the lineup should we trade any forwards or lose more to injury. As well as perhaps some intent on building a better bridge to bringing more Russian talents into the fold.

LW/RW Alexander Volkov (2017, 48th, TBL; traded to ANA)

Some decent clips in his main board thread, can see that he has some talent.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It is shuffling the deck type deal, but, as you noted, Volkov is further along his development. Adding Volkov is an incremental improvement and a tiny gamble. In Tampa, Volkov is buried. In Anaheim, sadly, there's a chance he gets a far better path. That may improve his confidence and frame of mind.

Good point that Volkov might get a confidence boost if he gets to play more in Anaheim. Would be great if he had a big breakthough, though I am definitely not expecting anything like that. I am just nervous when Ducks trade forwards away as I fear they will be successful somewhere else. Would be nice if it happened for Anaheim for once.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I dont mind the move... i think he is more likely to find a role in the NHL than morand is.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’ve got a feeling Eakins tries him on a line with Getzy off the bat. Could be way off on that though but he’s definitely going to get a good opportunity.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pretty much my take, also a roster placeholder so that we aren't forcing more kids into the lineup should we trade any forwards or lose more to injury. As well as perhaps some intent on building a better bridge to bringing more Russian talents into the fold.

LW/RW Alexander Volkov (2017, 48th, TBL; traded to ANA)

Some decent clips in his main board thread, can see that he has some talent.

Thanks for the link! Here's the a comment in that thread that I do like:

He’s the guy who does the dirty work with great defense for the skilled offensive guys... his numbers are without significant pp time

THN Future Watch had him ranked 3rd in the Bolts system
“When he’s on his game, he’s skating well and has the puck and drives the net,” Roest said. “I like his future because he can play without the puck, or if he does get the puck, he can make plays with skill guys, and in Tampa we have a lot of those skill guys who can skate.

There's a clip of him earning a shorty, which means he plays on the PK, supporting that he probably had good defense. Good defense with sniping capabilities sounds similar to Silf, but Volkov has a variety of ways to score goals and doesn't mind scoring with the backhand. Why exactly are they giving up on him again?

A combination of things could be the Bolts need an NHL roster spot and Volkov isn't waiver eligible. Also, Volkov's contract ends after this season and the Bolts are $3.5 mil over the cap next season with a RFA D Foote needs to be re-signed and a backup goalie needs to be signed. We might be the recipient of getting some talent because a winning team cannot keep all their talents. Granted, we are already burned from Tampa already, thanks Shattenkirk! Welp, it's a tiny gamble and let's hope for the best!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’ve got a feeling Eakins tries him on a line with Getzy off the bat. Could be way off on that though but he’s definitely going to get a good opportunity.

I think that might be a good idea if we keep Grant with Getz. Jones doesn't have that offense right now to compliment Getz. Grant is that big body that Getz likes playing with Volkov can try to be Rakell-lite. It can't hurt.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thanks for the link! Here's the a comment in that thread that I do like:

There's a clip of him earning a shorty, which means he plays on the PK, supporting that he probably had good defense. Good defense with sniping capabilities sounds similar to Silf, but Volkov has a variety of ways to score goals and doesn't mind scoring with the backhand. Why exactly are they giving up on him again?

A combination of things could be the Bolts need an NHL roster spot and Volkov isn't waiver eligible. Also, Volkov's contract ends after this season and the Bolts are $3.5 mil over the cap next season with a RFA D Foote needs to be re-signed and a backup goalie needs to be signed. We might be the recipient of getting some talent because a winning team cannot keep all their talents. Granted, we are already burned from Tampa already, thanks Shattenkirk! Welp, it's a tiny gamble and let's hope for the best!

A scouting report that wouldn't read all that different than one on Heinen, but for a player who costs a quarter of the salary (and qualifying offer).

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad