Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This always was a good hockey deal. Hated to see Sami go, but hey that's the game. Mostly other team fans tried stirring ****. Much like the leaf fan few posts up.

The ANA and NJ fans get it. There’s always someone looking to stir the pot but in this case chances are it is someone who roots for a team other than the two involved in the trade.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
As much of a win-win trade as you'll see. Vatanen was one of my favorite players in Anaheim, but even I can't be mad about this

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, this has worked out great for both teams. Vats play has really improved lately, he was really needed for us to calm down the defense a bit.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, this has worked out great for both teams. Vats play has really improved lately, he was really needed for us to calm down the defense a bit.
Good to hear, he had kinda an off season last year and started slow... and it was really only a matter of time before he was moved... basically the fowler extension said 1 of vatanen/manson/lindholm was gone and vatanen was the most easily replaced in the system. Chemistry wise he didn't really have anyone to play with in Anaheim that seemed like a decent fit either. whos he been playing with in Jersey?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Good to hear, he had kinda an off season last year and started slow... and it was really only a matter of time before he was moved... basically the fowler extension said 1 of vatanen/manson/lindholm was gone and vatanen was the most easily replaced in the system. Chemistry wise he didn't really have anyone to play with in Anaheim that seemed like a decent fit either. whos he been playing with in Jersey?
He has been rotating between the 2nd pairing with Moore and the top pairing with Greene. Our left side is kind of a mess right now. Greene isn't the same player he used to be, Moore isn't an ideal top 4 player and the rookie Butcher is on the 3rd pairing. Ideally next year we find another top 4 LHD to push Greene down to the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I wish we had more "hockey trades" like this. GMs are too careful with the trades.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Henrique: 27 pts in 42 games for Anaheim, 3C

Duchene: 32 pts in 51 games for Ottawa, 1C

Turris: 28 pts in 49 games for Nashville, 2C

Henrique also leads Anaheim in GWG's by a fair margin.

Pretty amazing deal for Anaheim considering what the other teams gave up.

Vats has also gotten better for the Devils.

I think it was a good deal for both teams.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Fair to say this has been a great trade for both teams?

Rico hit 20 goals and will be clutch for the Ducks in the playoffs

Vatanen is leading the Devils in ice time and filled the hole Larsson left behind
Yep, from what I can tell, both teams' fanbases are very happy with what they got in return.

Henrique was one of the Ducks' best and most consistent players since his arrival.

Reactions: Arthuros

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I miss Rico a lot, he was a heart and soul guy, but Vatanen plugged a huge hole for us. He's been fantastic and probably our best non-Taylor Hall player since the trade.

The funny thing is, most Ducks fans probably feel the same way in reverse. We, at least I, miss Vatanen (at least the pre-Carlyle Vatanen) and the attitude he brought. Henrique, though, has been one of our best forwards. Isn't he one of the league leaders in GWG's since the trade? Hope he does well for you guys and we get to see Rico vs. Vats in the playoffs :naughty:

Reactions: Spazkat

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
& I don't think he would get that same opportunity on this Ducks team, to be THE guy on the right side. Thats why its a win win.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Anaheim still got the better player
I don't think that's fair to say. The big question with Vatanen was whether or not he could find his groove without receiving sheltered minutes. He couldn't here with us, but he's been doing it with New Jersey as one of their best defensemen. It's not like he's bad defensively either. He's been putting up production without losing the defensive side of his game (from what I've seen) and has not been sheltered at all.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't think that's fair to say. The big question with Vatanen was whether or not he could find his groove without receiving sheltered minutes. He couldn't here with us, but he's been doing it with New Jersey as one of their best defensemen. It's not like he's bad defensively either. He's been putting up production without losing the defensive side of his game (from what I've seen) and has not been sheltered at all.

I get what you said but my point is at the time of the trade Anaheim got the better player and I still think Henrique is the better player in the trade. He's been great for the ducks

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I get what you said but my point is at the time of the trade Anaheim got the better player and I still think Henrique is the better player in the trade. He's been great for the ducks
Fair enough. Vatanen did take a while to get his feet back underneath him but he's been pretty good for NJ since. Henrique has been rather streaky as promised, but he's still been one of our best and hardest-working forwards, even when he's not producing offensively.

I just think it's pointless to compare. Both teams had to give up a piece they liked, but I think both teams are, and will end up, very happy nonetheless.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The funny thing is, most Ducks fans probably feel the same way in reverse. We, at least I, miss Vatanen (at least the pre-Carlyle Vatanen) and the attitude he brought. Henrique, though, has been one of our best forwards. Isn't he one of the league leaders in GWG's since the trade? Hope he does well for you guys and we get to see Rico vs. Vats in the playoffs :naughty:

Rico's always been that way. When the whole team is playing well and there isn't much pressure he tends to dissappear for significant stretches, but when you're really under pressure he comes through in the clutch. Some Devils fans found that really annoying, but to me, Rico is clutch and clutch is king.

That said we sorely needed a guy like Vatanen, and he's been a huge help. One of those rare true hockey trades that works great for both teams.

BTW... How's Blender been? He was far from a complete player for us, but I always liked his potential .

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad