Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] F Cutter Gauthier signs ELC with the Ducks (3 years, $950k AAV)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ultimately, if Zegras attracts more fans with his personality and skill plays, what does the league lose exactly?
That's my issue summed up in one point. The more people thatre attracted to the game because of this, the more the league will push it and cater towards those people, making hockey worse. No thanks

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For the record the bit I play the game is for the GM mode. Whatever random minor leaguers they wanna throw on there to sell copies good for them.

I just find it laughable that of all the stars in the NHL they could've gone with, they picked a random 60 point player
Wasnt he runner up for Calder that season before game released?

So a young american potential star player, that gets new eyes on the NHL and the game itself is a laughable?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
That's my issue summed up in one point. The more people thatre attracted to the game because of this, the more the league will push it and cater towards those people, making hockey worse. No thanks
still a ridiculous opinion to have. more fans to the sport is always a great thing. the league isn't going to push more lacrosse goals just because of zegras or because it's brings in more fans. your opposition to it just screams "i'm a boomer and i dont like anything that isn't dump, chase, gritty goals." hockey has never been better, and as long as the league always great players to play in fun, entertaining ways, the sport will continue to get better.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No, he shouldnt. They should do what everyone else does when a college player doesnt want to sign. Trade him and move on. Especially when Cutter never said ANYTHING bad about the city or team.
Cutter didn’t have to say anything bad to be seen as worthy of smearing. He did the actual bad thing here that caused it all.

He wanted his path to the NHL to be more special than other players. He tried to dictate his progression as a prospect & when he didn't get what he wanted, he froze out Flyers management and refused to talk to them. Dude couldn't even read the room as a Flyers prospect and lie when asked who his favorite player was (he said Crosby, which is obviously a sore spot for us as Flyers fans).

Cutter has earned the smear campaign. This is maybe the *only* issue I do not disagree with Flyers management over. They were 100% correct to trash this dude after investing a #5 pick in him (in which I'm sure many, many hours were spent talking with Cutter prior to the draft)

• Haha
Reactions: OKR

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Cutter didn’t have to say anything bad to be seen as worthy of smearing. He did the actual bad thing here that caused it all.

He wanted his path to the NHL to be more special than other players. He tried to dictate his progression as a prospect & when he didn't get what he wanted, he froze out Flyers management and refused to talk to them. Dude couldn't even read the room as a Flyers prospect and lie when asked who his favorite player was (he said Crosby, which is obviously a sore spot for us as Flyers fans).

Cutter has earned the smear campaign. This is maybe the *only* issue I do not disagree with Flyers management over. They were 100% correct to trash this dude after investing a #5 pick in him (in which I'm sure many, many hours were spent talking with Cutter prior to the draft)

Lol I love that he said Crosby….
What a kid…. Might order his jersey tonight

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

nonsense. Cutter could have stayed in college and refused to sign with the Flyers until he became a FA and got to go where ever he wanted to go; and the Flyers would have gotten nothing in return. Instead he told them he did not want to sign there, gave them plenty of time to find a trade partner; and Flyers got a good young defensemen (former 6th overall pick) and a 2nd. The Flyers management decide to trash him publicly because they followed him overseas with no meeting planned with him or his agent; and just thought they were entitled to another meeting with him despite him and his agent already giving them their decision.

Cutter could have handled the entire thing in such a worse way (like what J. Schultz did to the Ducks), but he didn't.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Imagine exercising the rights of your employment agreement and your employer starting a press a smear campaign. That’s all this is. He isn’t under contract and doesn’t owe Philly anything. It’s totally fine for you to hate it, just like Ducks fans hated when Schultz did it.

But the Ducks didn’t start a press smear campaign. Same with Carolina and Fox, and every other NCAA that did this.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
still a ridiculous opinion to have. more fans to the sport is always a great thing. the league isn't going to push more lacrosse goals just because of zegras or because it's brings in more fans. your opposition to it just screams "i'm a boomer and i dont like anything that isn't dump, chase, gritty goals." hockey has never been better, and as long as the league always great players to play in fun, entertaining ways, the sport will continue to get better.

Man does this sound like the NBA as it was shifting from hand-checks, defence, and rough-housing Jordan figured out a way to be great era, to the current no-defence, what-traveling?, who farted and caused LeBron to fall down era.

See also: The quarterback is in a bubble and wide receivers can't have a Cornerback breath in their direction NFL era.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
nonsense. Cutter could have stayed in college and refused to sign with the Flyers until he became a FA and got to go where ever he wanted to go; and the Flyers would have gotten nothing in return. Instead he told them he did not want to sign there, gave them plenty of time to find a trade partner; and Flyers got a good young defensemen (former 6th overall pick) and a 2nd. The Flyers management decide to trash him publicly because they followed him overseas with no meeting planned with him or his agent; and just thought they were entitled to another meeting with him despite him and his agent already giving them their decision.

Cutter could have handled the entire thing in such a worse way (like what J. Schultz did to the Ducks), but he didn't.

Oh yeah I guess the Flyers should be thrilled about the situation. How could we be so silly.

Honestly, Flyers management smearing Cutter is the best thing they've done all year. It's arguably the only issue the fans & management agree on.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_5941.jpeg

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Imagine exercising the rights of your employment agreement and your employer starting a press a smear campaign. That’s all this is. He isn’t under contract and doesn’t owe Philly anything. It’s totally fine for you to hate it, just like Ducks fans hated when Schultz did it.

But the Ducks didn’t start a press smear campaign. Same with Carolina and Fox, and every other NCAA that did this.

The Flyers weren't Cutter's employers when the smear campaign began. It was all quiet until he was traded. So let's not turn this into Cutter was just rightfully/morally clawing his way out of a hostile situation in the press.

The Schultz situation is not the same as Cutter. Schultz was not a very recent Top 5 pick (not even 2 seasons went by from his draft). Schultz had 4 years to figure out his deal and sour. Chances are the Flyers had been treating Cutter like a king since he was drafted due to draft status. Were they both drafted and wanted to leave? Yes...but that's where the similarity ends. The nuance is where Cutter did a monumental jerk thing, IMO.

Same thing with Fox. Dude was not a top pick. How many top picks don't sign and pull this nonsense AFTER they're drafted?

• Haha
Reactions: OKR

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

We don't know that. The Flyers claim not to know why. His agent has said he and the family want to keep the reasons private for now. For all we know, he may have a very good reason.

He wanted his path to the NHL to be more special than other players.

You talking about the potential AHL time? Again, unconfirmed by anyone as the reason.

Or do you mean not burning an ELC year? Also not confirmed, but it does mean it cost him a crap ton in future earnings before even setting foot on the ice.

He tried to dictate his progression as a prospect & when he didn't get what he wanted, he froze out Flyers management and refused to talk to them.

Once the decision was made not to sign, what's there to talk about? Even if you were to argue they had a right to try, it should be through the agent at that point.

The only hint from either party we actually got was that the Gauthier side said it was multiple incidents, and also mentioned that the family was somehow involved. Maybe that's true and maybe it's not, but since the Flyers are crying ignorance that's all we have to go on.

It's incredibly bizarre for even the corporate CEO/governor to go on a podcast to dump on the kid. If it were just the GM or something fine, but this was above and beyond.

And considering the Flyers were the beneficiaries of a far bigger name prospect spurning the team he was drafted by 30-some odd years ago, you'd think they'd have a bit more perspective. Despite being a blue chip guy, Gauthier is far from a sure thing. The cosmic karma of prospects not signing and getting traded is still tilted in favor of Philly overall, but yes the sword cuts both ways.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
We don't know that. The Flyers claim not to know why. His agent has said he and the family want to keep the reasons private for now. For all we know, he may have a very good reason.

You talking about the potential AHL time? Again, unconfirmed by anyone as the reason.

Or do you mean not burning an ELC year? Also not confirmed, but it does mean it cost him a crap ton in future earnings before even setting foot on the ice.

Once the decision was made not to sign, what's there to talk about? Even if you were to argue they had a right to try, it should be through the agent at that point.

The only hint from either party we actually got was that the Gauthier side said it was multiple incidents, and also mentioned that the family was somehow involved. Maybe that's true and maybe it's not, but since the Flyers are crying ignorance that's all we have to go on.

First I'd like to address all of these points and say sure, you can say it isn't confirmed (which I mean it never truly is), but it seems from the reports out there the majority is that Cutter (generally speaking) wanted his elevation to the NHL to go one way and the Flyers didn't. Fair, right? That's been consistent from local & national media.

It's incredibly bizarre for even the corporate CEO/governor to go on a podcast to dump on the kid. If it were just the GM or something fine, but this was above and beyond.

And considering the Flyers were the beneficiaries of a far bigger name prospect spurning the team he was drafted by 30-some odd years ago, you'd think they'd have a bit more perspective. Despite being a blue chip guy, Gauthier is far from a sure thing. The cosmic karma of prospects not signing and getting traded is still tilted in favor of Philly overall, but yes the sword cuts both ways.

I assume you're referring to Lindros, which is a silly comparison to make (for the 100th time). Lindros told Quebec to not draft him & they did it anyway. Totally separate scenarios (as far as we know).

Gauthier isn't a sure thing, but as you said - he's a blue chip prospect. You don't casually throw around recent Top 5 picks. I completely understand why my stupid organization is very upset. Now, we could've been left with nothing in the end - but it's still not Cutter Gauthier (as was planned). So there's a right to be bothered.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Really not the same situation though. Schultz never told Anaheim he was opting for free agency so they lost his rights as a bargaining chip for nothing after investing in his development and respecting his wishes to play all four years in the NCAA. At least Gauthier gave the Flyers plenty of time to find a trade and profit on his WJC performance.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
First I'd like to address all of these points and say sure, you can say it isn't confirmed (which I mean it never truly is), but it seems from the reports out there the majority is that Cutter (generally speaking) wanted his elevation to the NHL to go one way and the Flyers didn't. Fair, right? That's been consistent from local & national media.

But none of it directly supported by either side. In fact, the team claims not to know.
I assume you're referring to Lindros, which is a silly comparison to make (for the 100th time). Lindros told Quebec to not draft him & they did it anyway. Totally separate scenarios (as far as we know).

Lindros was a generational prospect, they weren't going to go "oh well guess we'll pick Pat Falloon instead". Bottom line is a top prospect refused to play for a particular team, and in that regard the situations are the same. You think Quebec fans took even a tiny bit of solace from him saying he didn't want to play for them before the draft as opposed to after? Not at all. The end result is the same.

At least with Gauthier it seems there was an actual window and legit chance to get him signed. Whatever happened to change that, we don't know. Maybe it's him being a jerk, but that's speculation ... can you say with certainty that he didn't have a good reason? None of us have anything but rumors, one side says they know nothing and the other says they don't want to talk about it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Very little attention to defence, the stupid lacrosse attempts, and generally an incredibly overrated player relative to his production (the last part isn't on him but rather hockey fans in general).

There's also the reports of him being such a "chill dude" that I question his give-a-shit meter.

I'm sure he's a decent dude and not a prick like Gauthier seems to be. My issues with Zegras are related to his play, and also the reaction to his playstyle pushing hockey in a bad direction.
I can't imagine having issues with hockey players being pricks and rooting for Kesler when he played for your rival.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I can't imagine having issues with hockey players being pricks and rooting for Kesler when he played for your rival.
There's a difference between cheering for and liking. I was a fan long before he was on the Ducks

Kesler was a prick to play against. Gauthier seems like a genuine douche off the ice. Big difference.

0/2

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I misremembered. It's his arm which is better but infinitely more douchey because instead of an S it's a K. God I hated Kesler. He also called Andrew Ladd a coward after getting his lunch fed to him by Ladd.
Hawks-Canucks, now that was one of the last great playoff rivalries before Bettman had to go and f*** everything up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad