Claimed off Waivers: [ANA] Ducks claim D Lassi Thomson off waivers from the Senators

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
A Vaakanainen-Thomson pairing could be intriguing during a preseason game to see if there’s any chemistry between the Fins.

Reactions: Morriz

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How long does he need to stay up before he isn't returned to Ottawa's AHL team if they put him through again and nobody claims him?

If he goes back on Waivers and nobody claims him, he automatically goes back to Ottawa's AHL affiliate, no claim necessary. It's a fairly common sense rule to prevent teams from doing Waiver shenanigans to claim other teams' AHL guys and get them to their own AHL team.
Does he have to stay on roster for 30 days or are there different rules for pre season waivers ?
There is no timeline at all for Thomson on Anaheim
(What you both may be thinking of is if a player successfully clears waivers, he can go up and down freely until he has been on the NHL roster for, cumulatively, either 30 days or 10 games before needing waivers to go down again .)

If Anaheim wants to send him down right now, though, they would need waivers.
If no one claims him on that round of waivers, he can go to Anaheim's farm team.
If Ottawa claims him, they can send him straight to the minors iff they are the only team to put in a claim, otherwise he has to stay on the main roster, or Ottawa has to attempt waivers for him again.
If any other team puts in a successful claim he, likewise, has to stay on their main roster, or go on waivers once again to be sent down.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Thanks. Do you know if there’s any way to see what teams also put in claims on the claimed players?
Unfortunately not that I know of.
Very occasionally you'll get an insider or beat writer saying along the lines of, "A source with the team said Team X also put in a claim but had lower priority", but it's never released by the League. I'd love if they did release the complete waiver results though.

Last edited:

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Unfortunately not that I know of.
Occasionally you'll get an insider or beat writer saying, "A source with the team said Team X also put in a claim but had lower priority", but it's never released by the League. I'd love if they did release the complete waiver results though.
Thanks for the response. Appreciate it. It would be interesting to be able to see claim submissions.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
For those interested, this cost Anaheim $67,500, paid to Ottawa and not counted against the cap.

This was also the highest possible waiver price. Thomson was in a perfect storm with his birthday and signing age and has only 2 years of pro experience with an NHL SPC - the least possible for a player to go on waivers, hence the more expensive waiver price.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why you'd claim this guy over Ty Smith, is wild to me. Basically just picking him because he's a RH shot? Just reaffirms for me that the NHL is often very nearly arbitrary.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Why you'd claim this guy over Ty Smith, is wild to me. Basically just picking him because he's a RH shot? Just reaffirms for me that the NHL is often very nearly arbitrary.
I thought they may claim Smith as well. But, Thomson being 6’ and more of a two way player is probably what intrigued Verbeek.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
so they need to make a nominal claim to get him back to the AHL? Likely more of a formality, unless they really hated the guy for whatever reason
Not a nominal claim.

They have to put in a claim without knowing who else has put in a claim, and they can only send him directly to the AHL if no other team puts in a claim AND he does not play in ten NHL games, or stay on the NHL roster for over 30 days.

E.g. If Ottawa claims AND a team after them in the order claims, Lassi would be added to Ottawa's NHL roster, but would still require waivers to be sent down.

If Lassi plays 10+ games or is on the roster for 30+ days, this rule doesn't apply. Ottawa would need to put him on waivers regardless of whether they were the only claim or not.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I thought they may claim Smith as well. But, Thomson being 6’ and more of a two way player is probably what intrigued Verbeek.

He's not a two-way player. He's too low IQ to maintain proper gap control, gets walked more than any other D in the Sens organization and is prone to terrible giveaways in bad spots.

He's an offensive D that isn't skilled enough to play on the PP, which makes him pretty much useless.

Reactions: biturbo19

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
He's not a two-way player. He's too low IQ to maintain proper gap control, gets walked more than any other D in the Sens organization and is prone to terrible giveaways in bad spots.

He's an offensive D that isn't skilled enough to play on the PP, which makes him pretty much useless.
Even with what you’re describing, he’s still a better two way player than Smith which is what my point was. He’s slightly bigger and more of a two way player than Smith. He’s more competent defensively than Smith, without question. I never said whether he was good or not.

Either way, the Ducks have nothing to lose with the claim.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Lassi is really not a two-way player. He's an offensive defenceman who can make a decent first pass and do a few things offensively. He's shown absolutely no real indications of any sort of NHL caliber defensive game.

Ty is what, an inch shorter? And has at least shown flashes of a far more developed defensive game. At an NHL level even. Lassi is still yet to even really show much of that at the AHL level.

JBD is twice the player

Yeah. It never really seemed like a question to me, which of JBD or Lassi the Sens ought to keep. JBD hasn't established himself like you'd hope for by now, but he's a far better all-around prospect with a far more well-rounded game. There's like...one very niche element where Lassi might have the edge, but everything else seems like a pretty clear edge to JBD...which adds up to a far better player in total.

Reactions: Play

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Lassi is really not a two-way player. He's an offensive defenceman who can make a decent first pass and do a few things offensively. He's shown absolutely no real indications of any sort of NHL caliber defensive game.

Ty is what, an inch shorter? And has at least shown flashes of a far more developed defensive game. At an NHL level even. Lassi is still yet to even really show much of that at the AHL level.

Yeah. It never really seemed like a question to me, which of JBD or Lassi the Sens ought to keep. JBD hasn't established himself like you'd hope for by now, but he's a far better all-around prospect with a far more well-rounded game. There's like...one very niche element where Lassi might have the edge, but everything else seems like a pretty clear edge to JBD...which adds up to a far better player in total.
Agree to disagree. Smith is terrible in his own zone. He’s always been known as an offensive guy. Thomson was described as a two way when drafted and seemed perfectly fine at lower levels. He’s not even had 20 games at the NHL level yet so he has the opportunity to still show what he’s capable of. It’s a no risk pickup for Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad