Confirmed Trade: [ANA/DAL] Patrick Eaves for conditional 2017 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I thought maybe Dallas could've got more given Eaves' numbers and cap-friendly contract, but I'm ok with this deal. Hope the pick pans out.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
For some reason I thought he was a scrub. I literally know nothing about patrick Eaves.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Was wondering what team would overpay for him this deadline, guess that answers it. For Anaheim's sake let's hope he meshes well with your PP, otherwise you're spending a lot for an underwhelming even strength 3rd liner.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Was wondering what team would overpay for him this deadline, guess that answers it. For Anaheim's sake let's hope he meshes well with your PP, otherwise you're spending a lot for an underwhelming even strength 3rd liner.

The Ducks are desperate for a guy who might spark offense , mix things up line-wise, find chemistry offensivelly...

His contract is half his value. Denying him from another playoff team also adds value. His contract easily fits on every? playoff contender.

A second round pick is not a great loss, HOPEFULLY he costs the team their late 1st rounder.

And this just shows BM recognizes this team needs offense to compete.

As said above.... this team has had almost zero contributions from Perry and Vats. Maybe they both turned to junk... but they were high end contributors who have disappeared.

This trade, however, locks up the ducks top draft picks... which makes all the BS about a "hockey trade" probably not happening

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
For some reason I thought he was a scrub. I literally know nothing about patrick Eaves.

He was been a low profile guy for quite some time, and even the campaign he has put together this year has come pretty damn quietly, despite being tied with guys like Seguin, Benn and Kessel in goals. In my personal opinion, it's a rather forgiveable case of not being up to speed in regards to him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I havn't been able to watch Dallas this year on account of I just don't.

I thought Eaves was a 4th liner?

I know he's having a career year but is he just having a Maroon type year or is he legitimately an offensive forward now?

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
They wouldn't. If Anaheim thinks Eaves makes them a better team, and that's a good bet since they just traded for him, they'll keep him in the line-up because the wins are more important than a potential 1st round pick in a meh draft.

Oh, I agree. They paid for him in expectation of him producing for them, they're going to play him for as far as they can go this year. I was just pointing out a scenario where a less than ethical GM (which Murray is not in that category) might game the trade a bit.

(regarding the healthy scratch/less than 50% comment a page or two/many hours ago)

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
If Eaves turns out a first is not much of an issue. If not, we keep the first rounder. I still expect the Ducks making moves before the draft and I think a first rounder will come back.

This year is considered to be a weak draft and the Ducks are in a good situation to trade their first. They hit gold with Steel last year. Troy Terry is doing great and Jones is a Wildcard. The have 3 big D prospects and still have Welinski, Petterson and Mahura in the system.

There is ton of talent coming up, like I said, the timing to trade the #1st is good.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Damn, would have been perfect fit for McDavid, freeing up Drai for 2C.

At least he didn't go to a riv.... oh.

Well at least we won't play them in the first roun..... oh.

Ya, this sucks.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Some calling an overpayment?

It seems a good fit for us though. Guys having a good year, has some good experience, and importantly fits our budget, for a second in a so so draft.

Seems like a good move with potential upside for both teams.

Keep in mind, this could keep Boll or Shawnoff the ice, and now we are in to something!!:laugh:

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I think Dallas got a good return. I thought a 2nd was the limit, maybe add a later pick. The condition changing it to a first was a nice return.

Unless Eaves gets seriously injured he'll play in half the games. And there isn't a stand out team in the Pacific. Anaheim has a decent chance of making the conference finals.

Jul 22, 2012
Keep in mind, this could keep Boll or Shawnoff the ice, and now we are in to something!!:laugh:

I wouldn't get your hopes up, unfortunately.

I like this deal. I do think it is somewhat of a "fluke" year for him so far, but he is also a pretty big upgrade on what we have right now. No problem with giving up a second round pick for him.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Some calling an overpayment?
Well, I would have been surprised if some weren't. Eaves has been a 3rd/4th liner for basically all of his career, and his current campaign came pretty quietly. I wouldn't be sure it isn't, either, in all honesty. It's funny, it probably won't be an overpayment if it ends up being a 1st, meaning us going to the Conference Finals, but if it remains a 2nd and we fizzle out in the 1st round with Eaves being a pure passenger, it would certainly look bad.

I think Dallas got a good return. I thought a 2nd was the limit, maybe add a later pick. The condition changing it to a first was a nice return.

Unless Eaves gets seriously injured he'll play in half the games. And there isn't a stand out team in the Pacific. Anaheim has a decent chance of making the conference finals.
Some things have to turn around for the Ducks for the chance to be decent, to be honest. Under Carlyle, the Ducks have made their living off beating worse teams. Our record against playoff teams is rather damning. But there is some potential there.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
We could debate draft pick values all night. The point is, IMO, a 1st round pick for Eaves is an overpay, a 2nd round pick is an underpay, and a 2nd + a prospect or another draft pick was what I expected. Hopefully it turns out to be a 1st. GO DUCKS!

Before Sharp and Oduya are traded, what do you think is the least Dallas fans should expect in return for each? Same question for you Mr. Misty.

I've Got
Sharp for a 3rd + a prospect

Oduya(If healthy) for a 2nd

Salary retained on both if needed

a 2nd is an under pay but thats not what we got... we got a 2nd + a condition. I woul much rather use that 4th or 5th you want and exchange it for a gambling chance that the second turns into a 1st.

As for Sharp I am expecting essentially the same return but we retain 50% because it is likely needed, and the retaining is to facilitate the trade not make him more valuable. So Sharp for a 2nd+. If that plus is a late pick, a middling prospect or a condition again I don't know but thats up to Nill.

As for Oduya, if he manages to play in our next 2 games I can see him getting what Hainsey got. So a 2nd and a body if a contract is needed to make it work

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If the Ducks slot him in an offensive role, Anaheim fans will like the deal.

If not...it will be ugly.

This is so wrong its not funny. Yes Eaves found success with Benn and Seguin, but before that he had an entire career as a guy playing up and down the line up. Best part about him is he fits in nicely on any line.

I think the best use of him it in the top 6 and letting him do the hard work to make life easier on the stars along with some net front PP time, but he will play really well on the 3rd or 4th line too

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Looked to be a solid rookie for Ottawa, got 20 goals in his first full season if memory serves.

Colby Armstrong absolute annihilated him on a very questionable hit when the Sens went to the SCF in 2007 and he never fully recovered and the Sens let him go.

Was picked up by the Red Wings and did good there a while later and he seems to be peaking.

He was great with Alfie in that rookie year, good times.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Perry and Vatanen. Their offensive production (or lack thereof) makes or breaks Ducks' chances.

Move Vatanen back to the 3rd pair. Having Fowler,Lindholm and Vatanen leading a different defense pair is best. Either that or have Vatanen playing with Lindholm and Manson with Fowler and keeping either Theodore or Montour in the lineup playing on the 3rd pair. Fowler - Vatanen pair just isn't the right kind of pair and with Fowler being the main offensive weapon from the blueline is hurting Vatanen production.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Anaheim grabs the prize of the deadline a bit ahead of schedule.

It's not only because the player is valuable, but it's super cheap.

They could probably re-sign him at a decent price if he fits too. If it turns into a first, great, cause that means the Ducks made it far.

Eaves has been money for Dallas this year and one of the only bright spots. Positive possession player who I've always liked when healthy.

Also, playoff beard is elite.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's not only because the player is valuable, but it's super cheap.
Given the Ducks are in a pretty rare cap crunch for them, that certainly made them zero in on Eaves as a target.

They could probably re-sign him at a decent price if he fits too.
That might be tough. Couldn't blame Eaves for trying to cash in on his career year for his big(ger) last contract. I'd guess the Ducks will look to move back down from the cap towards their usual budgets, if possible. I guess it depends on whether Bieksa gets bought out and what happens with Vatanen/Fowler as top candidates of being moved in order to set us up right for the expansion draft.

Also, playoff beard is elite.
That's actually probably the biggest asset in all of this. Ever since Niedermayer and Giguere left, our playoff beards have been pretty damn bad. Can't believe that hasn't been talked about more in the wakes of our recurring game-7 letdowns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad