Amnesty buyouts?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
For all those that believe Briere is still clutch in the playoffs:

2009 Games played 6, points 4, -1
2010 Games played 23, points 30, +9
2011 Games played 11, points 9, -7
2012 Games played 11, points 13, -6 and that was largely due to the insanity in the Pittsburgh series. It's time to face facts, he is not as clutch as he was. He did well in 2011 mostly because of the series against Buffalo, his old team. His defensive play without Leino and Hartnell has been badly exposed, and last season it was hard fitting him in with anyone. You can't play him as a 3rd or 4th line centre because of his defensive play but you can't put him as a 1st or 2nd line centre either. He doesn't like playing RW so that's another issue. Cut him and his big cap hit loose this summer.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
For all those that believe Briere is still clutch in the playoffs:

2009 Games played 6, points 4, -1
2010 Games played 23, points 30, +9
2011 Games played 11, points 9, -7
2012 Games played 11, points 13, -6 and that was largely due to the insanity in the Pittsburgh series. It's time to face facts, he is not as clutch as he was. He did well in 2011 mostly because of the series against Buffalo, his old team. His defensive play without Leino and Hartnell has been badly exposed, and last season it was hard fitting him in with anyone. You can't play him as a 3rd or 4th line centre because of his defensive play but you can't put him as a 1st or 2nd line centre either. He doesn't like playing RW so that's another issue. Cut him and his big cap hit loose this summer.

I disagree with your opinion of Briere (shouldn't clutch be defined with specific, contextual examples of goals, not a +/- stat?), but agree that he should be bought out. It makes too much sense to buy him out.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I disagree with your opinion of Briere (shouldn't clutch be defined with specific, contextual examples of goals, not a +/- stat?), but agree that he should be bought out. It makes too much sense to buy him out.

The point is he is atrocious defensively and unless he has guys like Hartnell and Leino to pick up the slack, he's a liability, and I agree that =/- isn't a great stat but I do think it's telling in his case.

I keep seeing people go on about how clutch he is in the playoffs but he hasn't made much of an impact the past 2 years. He's declining, he takes stupid penalties, he doesn't score much during the regular season and there is no real place for him in the lineup. You can't put him and Giroux on the same line because they are both bad defensively and because he's so bad defensively he can't be put on the 3rd or 4th line. Basically, he's been getting rewarded all these years because he sucks at D and that was all well and good when he was putting up points but he needs more support than the average forward.

Last year against the Devils he had 2 goals in the first game and 1 assist in game 5 with nothing in between. The year before against Boston he had 1 goal and 1 assist. It shows that every time the Flyers play against a team that has decent defence, he is a liability. Add to that with his age, salary and NTC and he needs to go.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
The point is he is atrocious defensively and unless he has guys like Hartnell and Leino to pick up the slack, he's a liability, and I agree that =/- isn't a great stat but I do think it's telling in his case.

I keep seeing people go on about how clutch he is in the playoffs but he hasn't made much of an impact the past 2 years. He's declining, he takes stupid penalties, he doesn't score much during the regular season and there is no real place for him in the lineup. You can't put him and Giroux on the same line because they are both bad defensively and because he's so bad defensively he can't be put on the 3rd or 4th line. Basically, he's been getting rewarded all these years because he sucks at D and that was all well and good when he was putting up points but he needs more support than the average forward.

Last year against the Devils he had 2 goals in the first game and 1 assist in game 5 with nothing in between. The year before against Boston he had 1 goal and 1 assist. It shows that every time the Flyers play against a team that has decent defence, he is a liability. Add to that with his age, salary and NTC and he needs to go.

Wasn't every player on the ice terrible in the Devils and Bruins series? I still agree that he needs to be bought out, and it's because the team can't afford a 6.5mill cap hit for a one dimensional player that has a history of playing well in the postseason (you gotta get there first).

Briere seems like a good guy, on and off the ice, and I'd hate to see him go. So little is left of our recent cup run, it makes it feel like it was a decade ago. :cry:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Wasn't every player on the ice terrible in the Devils and Bruins series? I still agree that he needs to be bought out, and it's because the team can't afford a 6.5mill cap hit for a one dimensional player that has a history of playing well in the postseason (you gotta get there first).

Briere seems like a good guy, on and off the ice, and I'd hate to see him go. So little is left of our recent cup run, it makes it feel like it was a decade ago. :cry:

Dont worry, he's more likely to be named the next C then bought out

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
if buying out Briere means signing Corey Perry, i say do it. But if you have no intentions of targeting Perry, then i'd like to keep Briere.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
And yet those are the 2 best playoff series I can recall in recent memory? He had a knack for scoring when we needed him most.

He had a growth removed from his neck this off season which was the cause of a lot of his problems. He's healthy going into this season.

Reaper1097

Jun 22, 2011
Forgive me if this already been discussed but can a player be immediately resigned to a lower salary after ring bought out? I tried to find a ruling on this but so far haven't been able to find an answer.

If this is allowed than IMO briere should be bought out and then resigned to a 2-3 yr deal at 3 mil per.

I think Bryz should get this year and next to prove he is worth contract, but of not he should be bought out after next season...

DUHockey9

Jun 6, 2007
Hogwarts
Forgive me if this already been discussed but can a player be immediately resigned to a lower salary after ring bought out? I tried to find a ruling on this but so far haven't been able to find an answer.

If this is allowed than IMO briere should be bought out and then resigned to a 2-3 yr deal at 3 mil per.

I think Bryz should get this year and next to prove he is worth contract, but of not he should be bought out after next season...

You are not allowed to re-sign a player you use the compliance buyout on.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009

absolutely agree 100%

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
if buying out Briere means signing Corey Perry, i say do it. But if you have no intentions of targeting Perry, then i'd like to keep Briere.

I don't think he's getting bought out unless the Flyers want to **** their salary cap up for the next 2 seasons (following the link Invictus provided):

TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

Danny Briere buyout from CapGeek.com
◦ 2013-14: $4,333,333
◦ 2014-15: $5,333,333
◦ 2015-16: $833,333
◦ 2016-17: $833,333

Assuming they can save it for 2 summers, like I think I saw someone else suggest, they still get hit with a $5 million cap hit in 14/15.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't think he's getting bought out unless the Flyers want to **** their salary cap up for the next 2 seasons (following the link Invictus provided):

TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

Danny Briere buyout from CapGeek.com
◦ 2013-14: $4,333,333
◦ 2014-15: $5,333,333
◦ 2015-16: $833,333
◦ 2016-17: $833,333

Assuming they can save it for 2 summers, like I think I saw someone else suggest, they still get hit with a $5 million cap hit in 14/15.

They get out of the cap hits with these two buyouts.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
The Flyers will still owe Briere that money but it doesn't effect the salary cap. The point of the buyouts is to allow the teams to cut salary for the upcoming dip in the cap.

Are you 100% sure they get it off the cap?

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work
When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

Thats what capgeek says for the new CBA rule. If you dont take any cap hit bryzgalov is gone and so is briere without even a second thought.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

Thats what capgeek says for the new CBA rule. If you dont take any cap hit bryzgalov is gone and so is briere without even a second thought.

Yup, that's the point of the Compliance buyout, the NHL doesn't want to call it an "amnesty" buyout. Basically what the NBA did last year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/two-amnesty-buyouts-lets-dumb-nhl-teams-off-144131648--nhl.html

Not the best article to show that it completely takes the hit off the books but it's there.

RJ8812*

capgeek buyouts are for regular buyouts, not amnesty buyouts. Briere will still get paid the same way he would if it was a regular buyout (2/3rd what is left, spread out over double the years left), however it doesn't count against the cap

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Yup, that's the point of the Compliance buyout, the NHL doesn't want to call it an "amnesty" buyout. Basically what the NBA did last year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/two-amnesty-buyouts-lets-dumb-nhl-teams-off-144131648--nhl.html

Not the best article to show that it completely takes the hit off the books but it's there.

Well, Bryz and Briere are done then. Flyers have 43 mil (including pronger) in cap hits the season Giroux, Couts, and Schenn are FA's. you drop Bryz and Briere you resign all your guys plus have money to go FA shopping.

RJ8812*

Well, Bryz and Briere are done then. Flyers have 43 mil (including pronger) in cap hits the season Giroux, Couts, and Schenn are FA's. you drop Bryz and Briere you resign all your guys plus have money to go FA shopping.

and we replace Bryz with......?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Roster productivity and future cap flexibility are not the same thing.

If the amnesty buyouts lasted forever this is a concern you can worry about.

If we don't jettison bryz now (during buyout period), not only do we risk losing a forward we don't want to lose, but also the cap space to get another good goalie should one become available.

Short term roster loss, long term gain.

If bryz had 2 yrs left, this is a non issue...but he has 7!

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

Well we won't know for sure who is available. But with his cap hit with his play from last season makes it too easy of a decision. Do you really think they Flyers cant replace Bryz much cheaper than what he was this past season?

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009

Flyers can evaluate Bryz 1.5 seasons before they make the decision on a compliance buyout. I'm sure something will shake out by then. But, even if Bryz plays incredible, his contract is too long.

IMO, you ride Bryz until a suitable option becomes available or you have to use a compliance buyout, whichever comes first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad