Speculation: Amnesty buyout candidates and its implicatons

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Perhaps the thread could benefit from seeing who is under contract for what terms going into next year so we could debate who we could or could not consider going after both for next year and the year after (note this assumes a Komisarek buy out which puts us at $37 M committed (I think - unless the first table counted his buyout).

Player
|
Contract End
|
Cap $
|
Player
|
Contract End
|
Cap $
|
Player
|
Contract End
|
Cap $

?​
|
-​
|
-​
|
?​
|
-​
|
-​
|
Kessel​
|
2013-14​
|
$5.4 M

Van Riemsdyk​
|
2017-18​
|
$ 4.25 M​
|
Grabovski​
|
2016-17​
|
$5.5 M​
|
Kulemin​
|
2013-14​
|
$2.8 M​
|

?​
|
-​
|
-​
|
McClement​
|
2013-14​
|
$ 1.5 M​
|
Frattin​
|
2013-14​
|
$0.925 M

?​
|
-​
|
-​
|
?​
|
-​
|
-​
|
Brown​
|
2013-14​
|
$ 0.736667 M​
||||||||
Phaneuf​
|
2013-14​
|
$ 6.5 M​
|
Gardiner​
|
2013-14​
|
$ 1.116667

Liles​
|
2015-16​
|
$3.875 M​
|
?​
|
-​
|
-

?​
|
-​
|
-​
|
?​
|
-​
|
-​
||||||||
Reimer​
|
2013-14​
|
$ 1.8 M​
|
Scrivens​
|
2013-14​
|
$ 0.6125 M​

Armstrong & Tucker - $ 1.0 M x 2 ends 2013-14

UFA - Lupul, Bozak, Connolly, Lombardi, MacArthur, Steckel

RFA - Kadri, Gunnarsson, Holzer

Franson ?

Bolded UFA are worth debating (IMO). If we landed a legit 1C, I wouldn't mind seeing Bozak on the 3rd and McClement on the 4th. Not sure if Gunnar, Kadri or Franson may or may not be involved in trades coming out of the lockout.

Depending on buyouts, some vet guys that might become intriguing are Luongo, Lecavalier, Horton...outside shot of a Krejci but I highly doubt it.

If the cap is $60 M and you divided it roughly equally between # of players by position, you'd end up committing roughly $36 M to forwards, $18 M to defense and $6 M to goal. $12.5 committed to the second line might be a bit high but I guess that magnifies the need to have the bottom 2 lines full of ELC guys, which is good I guess given ours will soon come on line. If your bottom 6 averaged $1 M you could still afford $18 M on your top line.​

Last edited:

bluebarry

Jan 15, 2010
what would stop loungo from signing with toronto for 1 million? he'd still get his money from vancouver, and save the leafs much needed cap?

in other words what happens in a scenario where a player is amnestied and there is no bidding war to establish fair market value, or in the case of players signing rediculously low contracts to give their new teams good cap relief?

As this ever been tried before?

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
what would stop loungo from signing with toronto for 1 million? he'd still get his money from vancouver, and save the leafs much needed cap?

in other words what happens in a scenario where a player is amnestied and there is no bidding war to establish fair market value, or in the case of players signing rediculously low contracts to give their new teams good cap relief?

Not that I can think of.

Vokoun comes to mind sorta, last year signed with a team he felt could compete for 2M when he could have easily gotten more elsewhere.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is the cap going to be $60M?

I thought Bettman was sooo gung-ho about the CBA being whole,
and this is a part, and its seemed (at this point) signed in quicksand.
The $60 million cap is what Bettman wants for the small market teams, because this way the cap floor isn't as high for them to at least be at. However the players want it to be around $65 - $67.5 million and I'm sure some of the major market owners want it around that number so they don't need to trade a lot of their core players.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
You are assuming that you will be able to trade and buy-out?

I'm betting the rules won't allow that.

Komisarek seems like the likely player to be bought out for the Leafs.

Maybe you're right. An easy "fix" would be that you're only allowed to amnesty a contract your team signed. The thing is, this whole debacle is about the poor teams who have trouble spending to the floor. Every amnesty buyout will come out of the owners pocket (outside of the cap) to one extend or another, depending on what the player is offered by other teams.

What can the Isles do with DiPietro? They're essentially just as ****'d as before, since there's no point even buying him out. They may as well just keep him, and just operate with a $40M floor.

This trade option could allow an informal way of added revenue sharing, which of course, comes at a cost (prospects). As Mess has pointed out, it's not much different from the Lombardi/Franson deal.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I swear I heard Lebrun say on SC this morning that in the current deal there is 2 amnesty buyouts per team, not just one.

Just heard it on SN, fixing OP. Thx.

A team like Detroit with only $45 mil before any amnesty buyouts and $15 mil in cap space with a perennial contender will be at the top of the list as suitors for players.

Corey Perry and others playing with the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg as his center would be really enticing and close to home for example.

Let's say the Wings re-sign Howard @ $2.5M (and let Filppula walk), which leaves them with $12.5M cap space to use on 7 players. I don't see how they can make room for a player like Perry without some major roster juggling, unless he takes a major paycut (yeah, right :laugh:) in order to play with on a contending team.

Vancouver resolving their cap situation of a Luongo trade to Toronto seems rather obvious for both teams.

Why would the Leafs do any favors for the Canucks? With the reduced cap, that contract becomes even more brutal. If Burke really wanted him, it'd make sense to force the Canucks' hands, and get them to use their amnesty on Luongo. Are we worried about someone snatching Luo up before he can be amnestied?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why would the Leafs do any favors for the Canucks? With the reduced cap, that contract becomes even more brutal. If Burke really wanted him, it'd make sense to force the Canucks' hands, and get them to use their amnesty on Luongo. Are we worried about someone snatching Luo up before he can be amnestied?

Are you suggesting that a starting goalie for the Leafs is not a benefit ?

No GM needs to start showing success soon more than Burke, so despite what he says to the later, acquiring Luongo isn't about doing anyone a favour more than doing one for himself by the acquisition.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Amnesty Buyout Clause: Chance for Burke to make amends

With the NHL and NHLPA finally appearing to make some progress in negotiations for a new CBA, word has leaked that the new CBA will include an Amnesty Buyout Clause. The buyout will reportedly allow each team to effectively rid themselves, somewhat, of an albatross-type contract, thereby easing the transition to a lower salary cap (reported to be 60 million). This buyout clause is generating a lot of discussion, as it would afford teams the opportunity to right a certain free agency, or trade acquisition ‘wrong’. Outlined below are some targets on who the Leafs could use their own buyout provision on.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1126-amnesty-buyout-clause-chance-for-burke-to-make-amends

MikeKomisarekBuffaloSabresvTorontoMaplesGvxv0vZIZml.jpg

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Are you suggesting that a starting goalie for the Leafs is not a benefit ?

No GM needs to start showing success soon more than Burke, so despite what he says to the later, acquiring Luongo isn't about doing anyone a favour more than doing one for himself by the acquisition.

I'm saying that we shouldn't take on a Pejorative Slured contract if we have the option to "re-negotiate" the contract. Not to mention we could save the assets we'd use in the trade.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I'm saying that we shouldn't take on a Pejorative Slured contract if we have the option to "re-negotiate" the contract. Not to mention we could save the assets we'd use in the trade.

I agree. It would be utterly ridiculous to trade for Luongo in these circumstances. It's basically equivalent to trading and wasting assets on a player that a team is going to buy out.

However, it would be even more ridiculous to use this provision on Komisarek, who has one year left on his contract.

I'm wondering if you have to get rid of a player if you use the provision on him. People are looking at it in a traditional buy out sense, but what if you still want the player on your team? For example, take JVR. A good player and I can see him having value league-wise. However, he has a long-term contract at 4.5 million. If the Leafs wanted, they could use the provision on him with the intention of him still being on the team, just his cap hit wouldn't count and they'd still be paying him. I wonder if something like this is possible. I can see a lot of teams preferring this over the buy-out avenue.

Last edited:

RogerRoeper*

A team like Detroit with only $45 mil before any amnesty buyouts and $15 mil in cap space with a perennial contender will be at the top of the list as suitors for players.

Corey Perry and others playing with the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg as his center would be really enticing and close to home for example.

Vancouver resolving their cap situation of a Luongo trade to Toronto seems rather obvious for both teams.

Yet they could sign anyone this summer.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I agree. It would be utterly ridiculous to trade for Luongo in these circumstances. It's basically equivalent to trading and wasting assets on a player that a team is going to buy out.

However, it would be even more ridiculous to use this provision on Komisarek, who has one year left on his contract.

I'm wondering if you have to get rid of a player if you use the provision on him. People are looking at it in a traditional buy out sense, but what if you still want the player on your team? For example, take JVR. A good player and I can see him having value league-wise. However, he has a long-term contract at 4.5 million. If the Leafs wanted, they could use the provision on him with the intention of him still being on the team, just his cap hit wouldn't count and they'd still be paying him. I wonder if something like this is possible. I can see a lot of teams preferring this over the buy-out avenue.

That would seem a little unjust. Basically Crosby and Malkin would count zero towards the Pens cap. My wouldn't THAT be nice.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

what are the chances Luongo goes to the open Market and only 1 team is interested in signing him, forcing him to sign so low? if Luongo gets bought out by Vancouver he will still get 5 million on a new deal for a shorter term.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I dont like the John Michael Liles contract. 32 yrs old. 4 yr 15.5 million. 3.5 years left. We have a ton of D, Reilly is ready but im not against leaving him in junior and try out Ranger or Holzer. Komasarek has only 1.5 years left. whats that 6.75 million?

RogerRoeper*

I dont like the John Michael Liles contract. 32 yrs old. 4 yr 15.5 million. 3.5 years left. We have a ton of D, Reilly is ready. Komasarek has only 1.5 years left. whats that 6.75 million?

I think Liles is a better buyout than Komisarek personally.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
We wouldn't have to sign him for 7 years, right?

I'd give lecavalier $5 mil for 3 years, no problem...

Trade Liles for DiPietro + 1st. Buy him out and sign Lecavalier. The salaries would almost cancel each other out. Stanley cup winning, one time all world stop gap at #1C.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I dont like the John Michael Liles contract. 32 yrs old. 4 yr 15.5 million. 3.5 years left. We have a ton of D, Reilly is ready but im not against leaving him in junior and try out Ranger or Holzer. Komasarek has only 1.5 years left. whats that 6.75 million?

ah liles is a useful pass-first d-man, bad contract I guess but considering he took a 300k paycut I dont think it was that bad.

it's only a risk if his play really falls off, but if he plays like he should(30-40ish point d-man) he has solid value.

Komi has proven he cant live up to his contract, he's a healthy scratch half the time, it's time to let him go. He's taking up far too much space.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
To me, John Michael Liles is the most obvious buy out candidate on our team. He's suffered either two or three concussions in the last 2 years, and the player we had pre concussion this season compared to what returned was massively different. Liles showed little offensively and played timid and loose in the defensive zone. I'd be worried about him for 4 more years and I said at the time that I believe that contract was a mistake.

I also dislike the Grabovski contract, but I wouldn't buy him out, so I guess the second buyout would be Komisarek. Buying out Komisarek at this point doesn't really accomplish much though if we had worse contracts. He's only got 1 season left anyway.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Grabovski? Liles? I even heard Kulemin on a radio show that will go unnamed.

All of these guys aren't even close to being considered for an amnestied buy out imo.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Grabovski? Liles? I even heard Kulemin on a radio show that will go unnamed.

All of these guys aren't even close to being considered for an amnestied buy out imo.

Buying out Grabovski and Kulemin doesn't get us anywhere. Neither one is overpaid enough for it to make sense to cut them out of the team.

Liles isn't overpaid, but his health + term + performance creates a legitimate discussion

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Buying out Grabovski and Kulemin doesn't get us anywhere. Neither one is overpaid enough for it to make sense to cut them out of the team.

Liles isn't overpaid, but his health + term + performance creates a legitimate discussion

Health maybe, But performance?

He's main reasons our PP was top 10 for the first part of last year, And when Guastad injured him it went right down the tube. I even believe that his injury was the start of the eventual collapse of the team, But that just my own theory.

He's also one of the most deeply rooted players in the community with a bunch charities he's involved in. Which is another reason I think he's here for most of his current contract and certainly won't be amnestied.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad