Confirmed with Link: Amerks coach hire: Seth Appert of the USNTDP

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Not a great hire. If they were going to hire a washed up college coach, you'd think they'd try and find someone with some kind of AHL experience.

But he's probably cheap, and the Pegulas do have the maintenance of their extravagant lifestyle to consider.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not a great hire. If they were going to hire a washed up college coach, you'd think they'd try and find someone with some kind of AHL experience.

But he's probably cheap, and the Pegulas do have the maintenance of their extravagant lifestyle to consider.

I wouldn't assume that he came cheap coming from the USNTDP.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think this is the first unquestionable move the Sabres have made. They didn't hire a former player or someone else that was already on the payroll and try to pass him off as the best available choice. Adams said he wanted more player development in Rochester and he hired a coach with impressive resume of developing players. I recall Adams mentioning that Krueger would be involved in selecting the Rochester coach. Regardless of how it works outs, it's screams authenticity.

Appert BN interview from June 2019 regarding Trevor Zegras
How Trevor Zegras evolved into possible Sabres draft pick

Reactions: Chainshot

BotterilltheScrivner

Jan 23, 2010
NYC
Not a fan of this hire.

Seth was known as a solid ECAC recruiter, but recruits never really developed offensively on his watch at RPI. His teams at RPI never really had an identity, and never seemed particularly well-coached. As a fan of a rival ECAC team, I was sad to see Seth fired because he couldn’t get that program going in the right direction.

Players seemed to like him, but that never translated into wins or production. This move feels like a huge downgrade from Taylor.

Reactions: brian_griffin

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
as a lifelong troy resident and rpi fan, i wish i could give more on him, but honestly the program kinda wallowed under appert and my attention wandered.

he succeeded dan fridgen, who had some pretty good runs with some great recruits. fridgen was more of a firecracker and his teams tended to be pretty spirited.

appert on the other hand was much more reserved. maybe if he had gotten more than one year out of pirri and d'amigo the program could have had some sustained momentum. the team really struggled offensively aside from a handful of years with pirri/d'amigo/polacek.

none of that is to say he won't be a good fit in rochester. it's his first pro job, let's see how it goes. i'll pretend the clear parallels to another past rochester hire are figments of my paranoid imagination.

Reactions: Chainshot

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
as a lifelong troy resident and rpi fan, i wish i could give more on him, but honestly the program kinda wallowed under appert and my attention wandered.

he succeeded dan fridgen, who had some pretty good runs with some great recruits. fridgen was more of a firecracker and his teams tended to be pretty spirited.

appert on the other hand was much more reserved. maybe if he had gotten more than one year out of pirri and d'amigo the program could have had some sustained momentum. the team really struggled offensively aside from a handful of years with pirri/d'amigo/polacek.

none of that is to say he won't be a good fit in rochester. it's his first pro job, let's see how it goes. i'll pretend the clear parallels to another past rochester hire are figments of my paranoid imagination.

Jerry D'Amigo...well that's a name we'd forgotten for a while...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad