Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Which sucks because having WWE on SN+ was so convenient. One $250 payment vs a $20 monthly payment for a declining service with fewer and fewer movie options.
The SN app is so frustratingly bad. Logs me out between periods. Stutters. Lower quality picture than cable. Loads slowly.

Meanwhile Netflix works perfectly every time in better quality.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The SN app is so frustratingly bad. Logs me out between periods. Stutters. Lower quality picture than cable. Loads slowly.

Maybe that's a permission issue with your firewall (idk I'm not a tech guy)?

I use the Sportsnet app on Xbox, Playstation and Android and haven't had those problems.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Which sucks because having WWE on SN+ was so convenient. One $250 payment for something that also includes MLB and NBA vs a $20 monthly payment for a declining service with fewer and fewer movie options.
Most people already have Netflix and the quality is substantially better. SN Plus quality is garbage.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Maybe that's a permission issue with your firewall (idk I'm not a tech guy)?

I use the Sportsnet app on Xbox, Playstation and Android and haven't had those problems.
I use the SN app on multiple devices, over wifi and ethernet, I've had issues with stuttering as well, no issues with any other apps when it comes to streaming.

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
If this means that I have to pay for an NHL package from Amazon to watch a handful of Oilers Monday night games which I'm currently getting included with my Sportsnet TV package then I'm against it.

We shouldn't have to go to multiple sources to consume the same content.

What's next, Disney+ for Tuesday games, and Netflix for Wednesdays?

Like someone said above, this streaming nonsense is turning into cable all over again, just with extra steps.
I pirate my stuff 120 a year for 20,000 channels

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Kypreos was fired because he was earning like $850k. After the better part of a year or two they rehired him. Maybe at a more reasonable salary of $425k.

Kypreos was their Bob McKenzie and has been with the network since the 90s, was a shock they let him go for a bit.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Do you also get the vaguely air horn siren noise during hockey broadcasts on Sportsnet streaming?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Cable is dying, all sports are going to be only available on streaming websites within 3 to 5 years

Cable TV will still exists in some form. Streaming will never ever truly get rid of cable tv cause its can't due to accessibility in certain areas of the country where high speed internet is non existed or very limited.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
That's what they said when they signed the deal 10 years ago - the deal would sell phones and streaming. How has THAT turned out? Rogers has been cutting everything to the bone and they're still losing a ton of money.

TSN and Rogers do business with each other all the time. I'd collude and put the screws to the NHL - if Bettman has a problem with it, he can take his business elsewhere.
And if the NHL calls your bluff and do have legit streaming option you essentially likely just killed your Company. (Maybe that's already in progress - I don't know.)

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Horrible, especially because they're almost certainly going to eventually charge you a premium to watch the NHL like they do for the MLS with Apple. There are also still people with TV's that don't have the prime app available to download. Just making it more difficult (and eventually it will be more expensive when every team has their own app) for people to watch.

Thankfully the Habs still have most of their games on RDS, but I'm sure that will eventually change too.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This is great news. Does it mean no more silly blackouts on Mondays? I was considering finally buying centre ice. But, If I can get the Habs on Satursdays and Mondays, I will probably refrain from centre ice.
It says for “National” games, so they would never be blacked out on Roger’s now or in the past.
Monday night regional games would still be subject to blackouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad