Amazon buys MGM Studios for $8.45 Billion

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

There's probably a lot of implications on this due to the film library, but overall, MGM seems like a smaller player these days, that this isn't an industry shattering move yet.

I still think we'll see a more active studio get bought by a tech giant in the next few years (Paramount, Sony, etc.). That will throw things into chaos a bit more.

I will say though, Amazon has done a good job of keeping me as a customer. I have prime mainly for the shipping, but, I've found its generally done a good job of scooping up enough independent films that catch my eye that I make enough use of it.

Reactions: Tuggy

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Probably goes without saying, but I wonder what they'll do with No Time to Die. Stick to theaters? Push it to streaming? Hybrid? I'm sure the Broccolis will have a say.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I heard rumors that MGM didn't want to partner with a producer for a new stargate Tv show because this deal was in the works. I hope this means amazon will look at new seasons of stargate. That would be great.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Deal primary intent seems to be to supply Prime Video with more titles and remove chance of competitor getting a hold of library

Over 4,000 movies (Though not all titles are exclusive) and TV show/content library (Not again exclusive as some shows have already been licensed out)

MGM bought libraries of defunct studio's such as Orion and Castle Rock thru years so this library is pretty extensive

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Are the rights to Janes Bond the main motivation behind this deal? Seems like they overpaid

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nope

They also get things like Rocky franchise

This is move to bolster Prime in aftermath of the streaming wars when TV/Movie rights were being snatched up left and right

Same with the purchasing of ad-free streaming such as Tubi , Pluto TV , Xumo , etc by big players

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021
Maybe I'll start watching more movies on Prime again. I haven't watched a movie/show on Prime in months and just use Prime for the shipping.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I consider 4000 movies and 17 000 episodes of tv pretty impressive.

Quality over quantity, most of MGM's catalog from pre-1986 is a lot stronger than post-1986. MGM was major studio during the Golden Age of Hollywood and released so many classic films between the 1930s-1960s. This era is what they're most known for and it's excluded from the Amazon deal

Don't get me wrong, MGM still released a lot of good stuff post 1986, but much of their best known work came pre 1986

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I heard rumors that MGM didn't want to partner with a producer for a new stargate Tv show because this deal was in the works. I hope this means amazon will look at new seasons of stargate. That would be great.
Yes please x 1,000,000,000,000.

stargate_sgc_unending.jpg

BRING BACK THE GATE!

Last edited:
Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad