Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

Aug 3, 2021
Kypreos was their Bob McKenzie and has been with the network since the 90s, was a shock they let him go for a bit.
200w.gif

Reactions: Nucker101

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
How popular is prime in Canada? Trying to figure out the economics here
I think quite a few people have it.

I do. This is a nice bonus. My one worry is having this added and future things added may make prime more. If prime becomes a lot higher I may cancel it.

FYI I canceled Netflix when they removed sharing between househoulds. So yes I will cancel subscriptions.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The SN app is so frustratingly bad. Logs me out between periods. Stutters. Lower quality picture than cable. Loads slowly.

Meanwhile Netflix works perfectly every time in better quality.

The SN+app may just be the worst app I've ever used. My SN+ subscription will not be getting renewed next year.

And Amazon can stick it. I don't have a Prime account, don't want one. I only buy from Amazon if it's an absolute necessity that I cannot find elsewhere. I guess no more Monday NHL hockey for me next year. Oh well.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Only thing I watch in cable:

Law & Order, Seinfeld, Matlock, Sports, that’s it.

Also, the Amazon Prime package in Canada is only what, 9.99 a month ( which includes prime delivery, video, music, etc )

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Cable is dying, all sports are going to be only available on streaming websites within 3 to 5 years
I don't mind that in theory.

The problem is that it's almost certainly going to the point where to watch a full season's worth of games, you're going to need subs to multiple platforms.

Watch 50 games of your favorite NHL team on platform A.
Watch 20 games of your favorite NHL team on platform B.
Watch 12 games of your favorite NHL team on platform C.

Watch 120 games of your favorite MLB team on platform C.
Watch 42 games of your favorite MLB team on platform D.

Watch 10 games of your favorite NFL team on platform B.
Watch 8 games of your favorite NFL team on platform E.

Watch wrestling on platforms F and G.

Pretty soon you're on seven different platforms spending as much as you would on cable along with it being a huge hassle.

At least this is where I see this streaming phase going.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I've got Prime Video so it doesn't impact me at all... But I will be curious to see if having Sportsnet+ will still grant access to these games on Mondays. It should because part of that deal with the NHL and Sportsnet was that Sportsnet+ gave you that access to every single NHL game similar to how NHL game center used to operate.

Will also be curious to see if this helps with blackout restrictions for some folks.

Sports going exclusively to streaming services is clearly the future. So hopefully Amazon and the NHL take a good first step here and produce a quality package to set the standard for future deals.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I've got Prime Video so it doesn't impact me at all... But I will be curious to see if having Sportsnet+ will still grant access to these games on Mondays. It should because part of that deal with the NHL and Sportsnet was that Sportsnet+ gave you that access to every single NHL game similar to how NHL game center used to operate.

Will also be curious to see if this helps with blackout restrictions for some folks.

Sports going exclusively to streaming services is clearly the future. So hopefully Amazon and the NHL take a good first step here and produce a quality package to set the standard for future deals.
The deal was that Rogers got complete national streaming and TV rights. They don't have to put any games on Sportsnet+ and they can sell those streaming rights to whom they please, in this case, Amazon. The games could conceivably be streamed on both Sportsnet and Prime but, gun to my head, I'd guess they will be Prime exclusive.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I read the other day that cable ratings for CNN and other major news organizations are down 30 to 40% across-the-board which is crazy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I read the other day that cable ratings for CNN and other major news organizations are down 30 to 40% across-the-board which is crazy
Not overly surprising and only going to get worse. There are so many outlets to get your news from nowadays. The younger generation is being brought up at a young age on the Ipads as it is so they don't know any different. Then you have the diehard people(my father for one) who use to watch CNN pretty much all night just watching and reading the news on his phone, while some sport is on the tv in the background.

Convenience is really taking over. Newspapers, radio news and cable news is slowly dying, as podcasts and live updated websites are taking over.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'll give Amazon all my money idc if they make everything I want to watch available in one place, for one price and without ads.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, this is only in Canada?

I've got Prime anyway, so it doesn't affect me, but the whole idea of having to subscribe to a bunch of different services to watch something that used to be on more or less for free drives me crazy.

Reactions: Voight

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

The overall trust in media has gone downhill the last 20 years. A lot of people either prefer to get their information from a source that suits their views or are looking towards more neutral organizations that dont really tilt one way or the other.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So, this is only in Canada?

I've got Prime anyway, so it doesn't affect me, but the whole idea of having to subscribe to a bunch of different services to watch something that used to be on more or less for free drives me crazy.
It wasn't exactly that long ago that we were paying what a monthly subscription costs today just to watch one game.

The Oilers broadcast 16 pay-per-view games last year at $12.95 for standard-definition TV and $15.95 for high-definition.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Everyone will. The NHL will need a cable presence in Canada so, if TSN/Rogers play their cards right, they can stick it to Bettman and the NHL. I hope they do.

So, you want TSN/Rogers to stick it to the NHL? That would cause the NHL to lose money and therefore lower the salary cap, right?

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't mind that in theory.

The problem is that it's almost certainly going to the point where to watch a full season's worth of games, you're going to need subs to multiple platforms.

Watch 50 games of your favorite NHL team on platform A.
Watch 20 games of your favorite NHL team on platform B.
Watch 12 games of your favorite NHL team on platform C.

Watch 120 games of your favorite MLB team on platform C.
Watch 42 games of your favorite MLB team on platform D.

Watch 10 games of your favorite NFL team on platform B.
Watch 8 games of your favorite NFL team on platform E.

Watch wrestling on platforms F and G.

Pretty soon you're on seven different platforms spending as much as you would on cable along with it being a huge hassle.

At least this is where I see this streaming phase going.
On the one hand, we're kind of already there in terms of movies and shows with sports just now joining up.

But on the other hand, we're already seeing the beginning of the next stage which is exactly how people feel right now in terms of there being too many streaming demands and it costing just as much as cable.

I don't remember which ones they were, but if I'm not mistaken, there were talks, rumors, or maybe even confirmation of streaming platforms joining together to offer a bundle. Which is essentially a similar if not the same principle as......cable packages.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
NHL doesn't exactly schedule premium games on Mondays. They're going up against MNF. I don't expect the NHL to change to give Amazon better matchups than SN got.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
NHL doesn't exactly schedule premium games on Mondays. They're going up against MNF. I don't expect the NHL to change to give Amazon better matchups than SN got.
They might now after the nfl season. Nhl wants this to work

Contract is coming up and they’ll want more bidders

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
They might now after the nfl season. Nhl wants this to work

Contract is coming up and they’ll want more bidders
There's only so much they can do to influence dates of availability at 32 venues. There's a reason certain teams play virtually the same nights every year.

This deal impacts the Canadian market - for now - and the premium matchups for Canada are on Saturday nights. The other teams play regionally on TSN and/or SN - which will still have weekday games outside of Monday as I understand it.

AFAIC, it's a throw away night for the most part.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is about Canada, though. Monday night hockey features Canadian teams, so you're going to have at least one market where it's the focal point for the evening, and a good portion of the rest of the sports-viewing population where it's considered the top offering.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Doesn't paint a good picture for Sportsnet financials if this is what they're looking to do.

I do think the future of NHL coverage is through a major streaming service though so hopefully this does well for Amazon and then they pick up the entire ticket in Canada in a couple years down the road.
Good. f*** Sportsnet, f*** Rogers, f*** Bell and f*** MLSE. They're all one giant cabal and a plague on this country.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad