Waived: Alz-ner Well That Ends Well (Cleared waivers, reported to Laval)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
edgy said

"Radulov >>> Patches
Markov >>>>>>>>>>>>> Benn + Alzner + Schlemko
Sergachev >>> Benn+ Alzner + Schlemko
Sergachev > Drouin (We need Sergachev more than we need Drouin)
Tatar >> Patches
Domi > Galchenyuk

So all the players we have now minus Drouin, Benn, Alzner and Schlemko would be make us closer to a contender than a bubble team, because our D wouldn't suck and we would have Markov and Sergachev helping Petry while Weber is out instead of Benn, Alzner and Schlemko.

Only thing we would be missing is Kotka because we didn't suck and draft 3rd overall.

Same point production, lesser goals against. Not sure how you can't see that. "

and same poster

"I'd say it was more of a stupid move that set us back years. Had we kept Radulov and Markov, brought up Sergachev and traded Patches, we'd be a lot closer to a cup than needing a full blown rebuild. "

I’ve always viewed you as a poster with an IQ despite difference of opinion. In all honesty, you’ve called me out on Price narratives like I’ve called you out on Bergevin posts. At some point you have to just have to start giving into you were wrong. I’ve been eating a fair share of crow the past year because of Price but atleast I’ll admit it when it happens. I’ll defend him when he deserves it, **** on him as well when it’s called for. You’re not a dumb poster but you need to stop making excuses for this guy’s past. He had a good offseason but he’s been tearing this team apart for years.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Markov would of helped this D last year, but to what extent? I don't see him turning last years squad into a cup contender, or anything past a 1st round if they even managed to make the playoffs with Markov last year. Markov on last years team means no JK this year.
I already addressed that. I said Markov guiding Sergachev, Mete and Juulsen would help them develop better. Would you rather Markov helping the kids with their game or do you actually believe any of Benn, Schlemko, Alzner (even in his prime yeas) or even Petry for that matter is better than Markov?

This year Markov has slowed down a lot in the KHL, thats against worse NHL competition. He would be better than Alzner, but Alzner only played what 8 games.
Slowed down but he's still one the best defensemen in his team and instrumental in their win last season. His hockey IQ and puck moving skills are still very high level.

Benn/Ouellete to be honest might be a toss up but we haven't seen Markov in the NHL for close to 2 years now.
Please tell me you didn't just say Markov might not be better than Benn or Oulette?

If he would make the team better today it would be slightly better. And TBH I doubt Markov would still be on the team this year. Either he signs 1 year deal or is traded at last years TDL so saying anything about him being here this year is kinda moot.
Slightly better? Not sure how much simpler I can say it.
Markov>>>>>>>>>>Alzner+Benn+Schlemko COMBINED to say anything to the contrary is either you being obtuse or trolling.

Because Tatar played for Detroit and Suzki was drafted by Vegas. Vegas paid 1st/2nd/3rd last year for Tatar. So how do we get both players from separate teams last year, when Tatars value was double his value when MB traded for him?
Fair point but doesn't negate my original point, this team with Radulov on it is much better than without him. Be it Radulov with Max or Radulov with Tatar or whomever else we would have traded Max to when he was coming off another 30 goal season instead of 17. I mean if Tatar's value was double because of his stats in Detroit then Patches's value would have been double as well.

Its because its a domino effect. We sign Radu then the team is trying to win. Max probably plays better and if you are going for it well you don't trade your biggest scorer and captain. AG probably plays better as well with Radu there and odds are the team decides not to move him either.
Again, that proves my point. The team would have been better had we kept Radulov and Markov than it currently is, which is a bubble to bottom feeder range team.

All the changes we saw were because the team sucked last year, if Radu is around and gives this team some life it changes where the team is going, other players stats, and how much those other players are valued by the team and the willingness to trade them.
Again, you just backed up my argument.

Since we don't have a way to view this alternate reality I guess we will never know, but I think the circumstances would of changed, which would of changed who and what was traded for.
Yes, it's all hypothetical but reason stands that with better players, your team is better. Thus you're no longer a bubble team or a team in need of a full rebuild, in other words, closer to a contender.

Finally, you keep quoting me saying we are closer to being a contender with those players as if saying closer to a contender means we're somehow guaranteed the Stanley Cup. There's a difference between what I'm saying and what you're taking or insinuating it to be, so stop trying to twist my words to make your failing point seem more justified.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
1 goal in his first game for our boy Karl Alzner :scared:

is that it???? I mean if it was 3 goals ok...only 1??????lol
He is goona need more time to mature down there ..eat some minutes...more seasoning ...

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
is that it???? I mean if it was 3 goals ok...only 1??????lol
He is goona need more time to mature down there ..eat some minutes...more seasoning ...

Every single defensemen expect for Petry only score 2 goals or less in the NHL in one whole season...I say call up Lolzner.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Every single defensemen expect for Petry only score 2 goals or less in the NHL in one whole season...I say call up Lolzner.

..if there is no trade partner to be found..i would leave him down there for atleast 12-15 games ...
Bring him up see how he plays..if it still not working down ya go for rest of season unless the tank is on ....if not , see ya next year at camp...work on foot speed in offseason

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You're a piece of work

What's really funny is that deep down you know what you're saying is absolute unadulterated BS,

You said people said we would be contenders.

You post two links that have people say we'd be IN BETWEEN being contenders and bubble team or rebuild.

Are you even capable of basic logic??

You fail to see the "would of" factor.

Since we don't have a way to view this alternate reality I guess we will never know, but I think the circumstances would of changed, which would of changed who and what was traded for.

How can you even respond to a post that uses "would of", twice in the same sentence, no less. I thought that alone might have offended your sensibilities as a wordsmith. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Aside from Lucic, can’t fathom how he will be traded, even with 50% retained.

He can’t crack the top 6 of the 26th -31st ranked D in the league in year 2 of 5. Too scary to think about years 4 & 5.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I’ve always viewed you as a poster with an IQ despite difference of opinion. In all honesty, you’ve called me out on Price narratives like I’ve called you out on Bergevin posts. At some point you have to just have to start giving into you were wrong. I’ve been eating a fair share of crow the past year because of Price but atleast I’ll admit it when it happens. I’ll defend him when he deserves it, **** on him as well when it’s called for. You’re not a dumb poster but you need to stop making excuses for this guy’s past. He had a good offseason but he’s been tearing this team apart for years.

I got called out to provide one person saying the team would be closer to a cup with keeping Markov/Radu so I provided it.

My stance on MB is good first 3 years, medicore the next few with last year being horrible. Said it many times last year was really really bad year for him. I am not going to go crazy and bash him if I don't think he was horrible at other times regardless of what the hive mind on here wants.

And I am not even defending MB for losing Markov. I said so many times I want Marky on my team and would of given him the contract he wanted. But Markov on this team wasn't making a huge difference, and in the end he would of given the team a few more wins last year so they don't draft JK. Markov has 3 points in his last 18 playoff games so he isn't helping the team win playoff games. He has 9 points in 29 KHL games this year, thats what 3 or 4 NHL points?

I would of taken Markov back, MB should of given him his contract and let him have his Pleks moment. But for the team how would that have changed anything? MB deserves to be crucified for how the team went last year, but in the end it was for the better since it allowed the habs to draft JK, clear out some garbage while getting a bit younger, and this year aint over yet but its looking like we could maybe tumble and fall into a top 10 pick hopefully.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I already addressed that. I said Markov guiding Sergachev, Mete and Juulsen would help them develop better. Would you rather Markov helping the kids with their game or do you actually believe any of Benn, Schlemko, Alzner (even in his prime yeas) or even Petry for that matter is better than Markov?

I am sure they could of learned a lot from Markov, but he is a player not a coach so I am looking at his impact on the ice. Hey maybe its possible Markov gives a +10 buff to each guy or maybe there careers are the same. Juulsen would of only played 30 games with Marky, Serge isn't here, and Mete about 60.

I
Slowed down but he's still one the best defensemen in his team and instrumental in their win last season. His hockey IQ and puck moving skills are still very high level.

I don't watch the KHL so I can't comment, I only see his stats. Last year he was key, but this year is he their best Dman? 9 points in 29 games in the KHL is a downtrend from last year. And thats the KHL so that is like 3 or 4 NHL points. But if you have watched him and say he still has NHL gas in him this year then I defer to you.

Please tell me you didn't just say Markov might not be better than Benn or Oulette?

40 year old Markov, with 9 points in the KHL I think its possible outside of the PP he might not be better than Benn/Oulett playing as a 5/6 Dmen. And if Marky played 20+ mins a night against top NHL competition its very possible he would sturggle and be exposed just as Benn has been. But I haven't seen Markov in the NHL since 2016 so I can't say 100% for sure. But with the speed of the game today I don't know if he could still be a 20 minute a night guy. If you watched him the KHL this year let me know if he still has the speed and ability to keep up with guys like Stamkos, matthews, eichel, and all the other NHL speed demons.

Slightly better? Not sure how much simpler I can say it.
Markov>>>>>>>>>>Alzner+Benn+Schlemko COMBINED to say anything to the contrary is either you being obtuse or trolling.

Again I haven't watched him in the KHL this year so if you have then I will defer to you. He is better than Alzner who isn't an NHLer anymore. But Oulette and Benn playing >15 mins a night on the 3rd pair, against 40 year old Markov (not counting PP) I think it might actually be close to even.

Fair point but doesn't negate my original point, this team with Radulov on it is much better than without him. Be it Radulov with Max or Radulov with Tatar or whomever else we would have traded Max to when he was coming off another 30 goal season instead of 17. I mean if Tatar's value was double because of his stats in Detroit then Patches's value would have been double as well.

I was never against Radu, but he didn't want to accept the same pay to play here. Whatever his reasons he took the same money to go to Dallas. In the end to me it worked out because I feel if we had Radu we would be like the stars are now a team that misses the playoffs buy a point or 2 that chases middling UFA's.

I am glad with who we got for Max, and if he had a better season maybe MB keeps him (eek) or we trade for something that doesn't work out. No one knows but I take the move we did. I just don't think you can plug Radu into the lineup we have today, because if we resigned him the team wouldn't be what it looks like today. and BTW Radu in our line up would look good and make the team better.

Again, that proves my point. The team would have been better had we kept Radulov and Markov than it currently is, which is a bubble to bottom feeder range team.

I think it would of been better than 5th worst, but it would of been the same team we saw for the last few years. We already saw this team with Radu/Markov get bounced from the 1st round. And we wouldn't have JK and Suzuki waiting in the wings to make our forward group better. We probably sign a guy like Bozak or something.

The team won its division with those 2 (2 years younger) but would we still win the division going against todays Boston/Tor/TB with those 2? I don't know about that.

Again, you just backed up my argument.

Yes, it's all hypothetical but reason stands that with better players, your team is better. Thus you're no longer a bubble team or a team in need of a full rebuild, in other words, closer to a contender.

Finally, you keep quoting me saying we are closer to being a contender with those players as if saying closer to a contender means we're somehow guaranteed the Stanley Cup. There's a difference between what I'm saying and what you're taking or insinuating it to be, so stop trying to twist my words to make your failing point seem more justified.

So are you saying we were closer to contending when the Rangers bounced the team? We already saw this team with Radu and Markov on it and how far they went. Unless MB pulled some magic out of his ass and made some sick trades I don't see how the team that was bounced by the Rangers was going to be closer to contending. It would of been more of the same. So sure we could of kept those 2 guys and the habs are most likely in the same boat today. And its ironic because even with those 2 guys most people on here were not calling us contenders or anything more than a bubble team, with many people calling for a rebuild LOL.

I would not have been upset if Radu took MBs contract offer and if MB caved and payed Markov. But then we would be in the same spot of making the playoffs with anything can happen. MB wasn't going to pull a trade out of his butt for a 1C or sign big time UFA. Of course we have no JK or Suzuki and probably don't snag Domi so outside of Radu we would have no young offense coming onto the team. MB's mistake and disaster of a year had a silver lining to it which allowed a reset and to bring in some young guys up front and draft JK. The guy failed ass backwards into a pot of gold. Molson sticking with him to rebuild this team might end up being a huge mistake.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I got called out to provide one person saying the team would be closer to a cup with keeping Markov/Radu so I provided it.

My stance on MB is good first 3 years, medicore the next few with last year being horrible. Said it many times last year was really really bad year for him. I am not going to go crazy and bash him if I don't think he was horrible at other times regardless of what the hive mind on here wants.

And I am not even defending MB for losing Markov. I said so many times I want Marky on my team and would of given him the contract he wanted. But Markov on this team wasn't making a huge difference, and in the end he would of given the team a few more wins last year so they don't draft JK. Markov has 3 points in his last 18 playoff games so he isn't helping the team win playoff games. He has 9 points in 29 KHL games this year, thats what 3 or 4 NHL points?

I would of taken Markov back, MB should of given him his contract and let him have his Pleks moment. But for the team how would that have changed anything? MB deserves to be crucified for how the team went last year, but in the end it was for the better since it allowed the habs to draft JK, clear out some garbage while getting a bit younger, and this year aint over yet but its looking like we could maybe tumble and fall into a top 10 pick hopefully.

but everyone saying he would make us a cup contender“

Thats what you were supposed to show a quote of, not closer to a cup contender than a lottery team. Quite the difference you are trying to slide by people as the same

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

Only way that should be done is if there is only a year or two left of contract. If he takes a bad contract longer than that and eats money he should be beat with a sack of clementines.

Jul 6, 2016
Only way that should be done is if there is only a year or two left of contract. If he takes a bad contract longer than that and eats money he should be beat with a sack of clementines.

That player Habs could obtain could be a valuable one down the road. Not a regular player of any kind for the moment.

It could be cheap 4th liner or an AHL kid who has problems graduating and needs some more seasoning at AHL level.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
That player Habs could obtain could be a valuable one down the road. Not a regular player of any kind for the moment.
If a player that could be a benefit down the road was offered for alzner with retention dont you think it would already be done?

Jul 6, 2016
If a player that could be a benefit down the road was offered for alzner with retention dont you think it would already be done?

Not really.

The teams had now enough time with 20+ games played to evaluate their personal. + many teams have injuries to their d-men. I think the main obstacle is Alzner's contract. It's huge to swallow and these teams who might be interested to get him wants the Habs to swallow as much as possible of that fat contract and-or take one of their bad contracts in return. MB possibly don't want to have to keep another overpaid and under producing player on his team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Aside from Lucic, can’t fathom how he will be traded, even with 50% retained.

He can’t crack the top 6 of the 26th -31st ranked D in the league in year 2 of 5. Too scary to think about years 4 & 5.
remind you of Alzner at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1