OT: Alternatives to Rogers

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Or in the case of Sportsnet Now and TSN Go, maybe if their services didn't suck shit half the time, then I could actually rely on them. Pretty sad when the illegal ways are more reliable.
The super sports pack is the only one worth paying for I get all the games NBA and NHL on my TV. It's insanely expensive for what it is and I had to get multiple boxes to watch multiple games on multiple tvs at the same time.

IPTV is the clear way to go for anyone looking for an alternative.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah, some companies really don't do themselves any favours. When the illegal service is also a better and more reliable product it's hard to blame anyone for opting to go that route
They really don't. I find the major streaming companies have it figured out and their problems are different in being such a costly fractured market, but these sports ones for whatever reason have been a disaster over the years for me, and it's not my internet acting up at those times.

Last year the Lakers had a few untelevised games that went to hell on Sportsnet Now mid game that I couldn't get back. My internet was humming along and I had to hop over to the illegal streams. One of them I just flat out missed the last five minutes and was choked. Definitely left a sour taste, but I get them free with my cable subscription as long as I keep the sports channels, so whatever.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
They really don't. I find the major streaming companies have it figured out and their problems are different in being such a costly fractured market, but these sports ones for whatever reason have been a disaster over the years for me, and it's not my internet acting up at those times.

Last year the Lakers had a few untelevised games that went to hell on Sportsnet Now mid game that I couldn't get back. My internet was humming along and I had to hop over to the illegal streams. One of them I just flat out missed the last five minutes and was choked. Definitely left a sour taste, but I get them free with my cable subscription as long as I keep the sports channels, so whatever.
Those sports apps have been terrible, including the NHL one I used to use when Rogers gave it to me for free. The game was 5 minutes behind and only 720p max. I didn't pay for it, but I definitely feel bad for anyone who did, because it was dog shit. And if you tried to load it on your PS to use on your TV, it buffered nonstop.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The super sports pack is the only one worth paying for I get all the games NBA and NHL on my TV. It's insanely expensive for what it is and I had to get multiple boxes to watch multiple games on multiple tvs at the same time.

IPTV is the clear way to go for anyone looking for an alternative.
Ya I still do cable tv where I live just cuz its so cheap now for reasons I won't bore you with and I get those Sportsnet and TSN app subscriptions with it, but the cable TV looks so shitty for quality that I'm getting ready to move on soon. I would like something like the Super Sports Pack because sports is the really the only thing I need for TV anymore.

Those sports apps have been terrible including the NHL one I used to use when rogers gave it to me for free. Game was 5 minutes behind and only 720p max. I didn't pay for it but I definitely feel bad for anyone who did cause it was dog shit. And if you tried to load it on your PS to use on your TV it buffered non stop.
Oh man, those early days of online Gamecenter or whatever it was were absolute garbage. So frustrating.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fair enough. I will make it clear when I am away and I stream stuff on the internet I am A ok with my choice. If prices were reasonable across the board I am sure a lot of people would just pay it and do away with pirate streams.
Exactly. I support musicians I like and if I can find their music on Vinyl I will buy. Over the last 30+ years I've probably bought the same album on different formats many times except when It became digital. If it's on youtube for free why can't it be on my computer for free?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Exactly. I support musicians I like and if I can find their music on Vinyl I will buy. Over the last 30+ years I've probably bought the same album on different formats many times except when It became digital. If it's on youtube for free why can't it be on my computer for free?
Ya I pay and support things and have my whole life. I pay for prime/crave/spotify/audible. If I want to watch an old movie not on those I just stream it off the net. I'm not paying for another streaming service so I can watch Starsky and Hutch that one time I'm high eating a bag of oeros.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ya I pay and support things and have my whole life. I pay for prime/crave/spotify/audible. If I want to watch an old movie not on those I just stream it off the net. I'm not paying for another streaming service so I can watch Starsky and Hutch that one time I'm high eating a bag of oeros.
This is the way. Pretty much all of the content I get for "free" is stuff I would just live without before I would ever consider paying for it. Still a grey area for some people, but whatever.

Having a home server is cool too, but not for the faint of heart buying and ripping discs and/or downloading. I'm up to about 140TB's of mostly uncompressed content now and it's nice to have thousands of movies, shows and music curated to your liking, at the highest quality available, and at your fingertips. Can even stream it outside the home at reduced quality.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
This is the way. Pretty much all of the content I get for "free" is stuff I would just live without before I would ever consider paying for it. Still a grey area for some people, but whatever.

Having a home server is cool too, but not for the faint of heart buying and ripping discs and/or downloading. I'm up to about 140TB's of mostly uncompressed content now and it's nice to have thousands of movies, shows and music curated to your liking, at the highest quality available, and at your fingertips. Can even stream it outside the home at reduced quality.
Ya I have done away with downloading content since its all readily available to stream. I used to pirate all my music off oink torrents back in the day. Now if you want to watch a movie it's pretty easy to find a 1080p stream pretty quickly. Just type in fmoviez, or lookmovie, soap2day used to be the best but it's gone and icefilms before it and ninjavideo before that. I pay for spotify so all the music is at my fingertips with no downloads and it's cost is reasonable especially for how often I use it. Now if they pull a netflix and go from 9.99 to 20.99 I may have to dust off the old portable HD and get downloading again.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think I found your problem.....
Ya. Gotta pump and dump those subs, not just keep them all concurrently.

My co-workers monthly subscription bill exceeds $200. Crave, Netflix, Disney, Prime, Apple, Paramount, TSN GO, Sportsnet Now, Spotify, Audible, Crunchyroll, and a couple others I can't recall.

None of them pump out content at a frequent enough rate that you can't just use em up at a month or two at a time imo. Obviously some are niche you might want all the time.

Reactions: Back in Black

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya I have done away with downloading content since its all readily available to stream. I used to pirate all my music off oink torrents back in the day. Now if you want to watch a movie it's pretty easy to find a 1080p stream pretty quickly. Just type in fmoviez, or lookmovie, soap2day used to be the best but it's gone and icefilms before it and ninjavideo before that. I pay for spotify so all the music is at my fingertips with no downloads and it's cost is reasonable especially for how often I use it. Now if they pull a netflix and go from 9.99 to 20.99 I may have to dust off the old portable HD and get downloading again.
Ya that's what a lot of people I know use too. It's so easy now that a lot of them don't even know they're not technically legit services.

I'm into the high end home theater gear, so a bit of an outlier on wanting full uncompressed quality and 4k, but even that stuff at like 80GB's per movie is easily available for free to download if one chooses.

Kaleidescape looks cool too, but it's a rich people only toy and you pay incredibly high prices for content above and beyond their costly proprietary equipment.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Sure, you can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better.

I watch the games on the TSN and Sportsnet's apps that I have a subscription for. I have in the past used other methods, even though I had subscriptions, because the quality was significantly better.

I'm not saying that to make myself feel better. I'm saying it because taking someone else's physical property is not the same as freeloading on a service without imposing any additional costs on the owner.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I watch the games on the TSN and Sportsnet's apps that I have a subscription for. I have in the past used other methods, even though I had subscriptions, because the quality was significantly better.

I'm not saying that to make myself feel better. I'm saying it because taking someone else's physical property is not the same as freeloading on a service without imposing any additional costs on the owner.
If I write a book and choose to sell it as PDFs online or make digital art or music, illegal downloads are still stealing my work. Acting like just because you can make a perfect copy of intellectual property means stealing it isn't theft doesn't fly with me, it only serves to devalue to work of the people who created it. You're essentially arguing the only value in an artist's creation, is the media they put it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If I write a book and choose to sell it as PDFs online or make digital art or music, illegal downloads are still stealing my work. Acting like just because you can make a perfect copy of intellectual property means stealing it isn't theft doesn't fly with me, it only serves to devalue to work of the people who created it. You're essentially arguing the only value in an artist's creation, is the media they put it.
And maybe someone who had no interest in your work finds it and likes it and decides to support you in the future. I know many bands who offer their music for free in the hopes when they roll through your town you will come to see them, buy merch from their store, and if you like the album buy a copy.

97Hh.gif

It's how I found Run The Jewels.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And maybe someone who had no interest in your work finds it and likes it and decides to support you in the future. I know many bands who offer their music for free in the hopes when they roll through your town you will come to see them, buy merch from their store, and if you like the album buy a copy.

97Hh.gif

It's how I found Run The Jewels.
And that's the bands choice if they want to offer it for free, good on them. Their decision to market their work in that way doesn't make everyone else's work fair game for anyone to take.

Reactions: Cosmix

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
And that's the bands choice if they want to offer it for free, good on them. Their decision to market their work in that way doesn't make everyone else's work fair game for anyone to take.
They do that because they are not into being raped by the music industry and have found an equally successful way to get their music out and have a very lucrative business. If you believed in your work as much as they did you to would find a way to monetize your art and be in control of your own destiny instead of filling the pockets of corporate bastards whose sole purpose is to exploit you for their gains.

Look at the writers strike that just happened for a perfect example of how disposable art is to the gate keepres.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I choose to pay for Bill Fibe for the high quality PVR convenience, so I have no horse in the discussion on streaming services. But man oh man, it seems like it would be so easy for them to put out a quality product that people would be willing to pay for. I just don’t get it. When I am on the road, I’ll use the illegal streams because that’s my only real option which is a different issue altogether but it’s also ridiculous.

A few years back, I lived out of town for a few years and the NHL app through Rogers was actually pretty good for out of market games. I watched all of my Sens games that way during that time and I happily paid for it. It’s too bad it’s gone as an option.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
You are totally correct, and there needs to be a way for artists to make more money. I should have mentioned that as well in my crusade against all the costs. Pirating is stealing, no doubt. I guess I draw some sort of line since I don't pirate books, music, or visual art. I do pirate movies and TV, and some sports, and PPV events here and there (I pay for PPV events I actually want to watch). If I could have access to all movies and TV at a reasonable cost, I would pay it.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They do that because they are not into being raped by the music industry and have found an equally successful way to get their music out and have a very lucrative business. If you believed in your work as much as they did you to would find a way to monetize your art and be in control of your own destiny instead of filling the pockets of corporate bastards whose sole purpose is to exploit you for their gains.

Look at the writers strike that just happened for a perfect example of how disposable art is to the gate keepres.
It's funny seeing you try to justify you taking the work of people who don't choose to make their labour avalable for free by citing people whose business model does include making their work available for free.

It's great that these other bands found a business model that works for them. That was their choice though. Costco gives out free samples from time to time, that doesn't mean I can crack open any bag of Doritos and grab a few while I shop there though.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's funny seeing you try to justify you taking the work of people who don't choose to make their labour avalable for free by citing people whose business model does include making their work available for free.

It's great that these other bands found a business model that works for them. That was their choice though. Costco gives out free samples from time to time, that doesn't mean I can crack open any bag of Doritos and grab a few while I shop there though.
You can if your slick enough.

Back in the 90's I had a black box. I also had blank VHS and cassette tapes full of movies, music, and music videos. So did every other person I knew. The internet is no different just that it's way f***ing better and easier. All of those Actors and musicians still became rich. Where's the harm?

Why do you pay for Spotify?

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Physical goods are not the same as virtual goods. You're not depriving someone else of a sporting event broadcast if you watch a free stream.

You are if someone down the line should be receiving revenue for their services but aren't and they go hungry.

It's like not paying someone
You should be ashamed of yourself for not inviting her to dinner for her Birthday. lol

Their are more important things and missing a game isn't on that list.

I'm freshly moved out and they have a massive place with a huge kitchen and love cooking elaborate meals. Also, they would hate having to drive somewhere.

Yes, there are more important things...but the $25 I pay for the sports package ain't it.

So my point was it makes more sense to pay $25+25 a month for cable + sports package + crave then it is to have to miss playoff games so that I can go to those more important things.

Why only enjoy 1 thing when I can enjoy both for peanuts.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Why do you pay for Spotify?
I don't find the price to be outrageous, and I don't need 20 subscriptions to get what I want. It's a way for me to pay a cost I am okay with to support artists I listen to, and it's also simple to use across all my devices. But the main reason now is probably because I have all my playlists built, so I'm locked in. They really should market a way to get people to build and share playlists, then you're just locked in for life.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So what do you do if it's your mom's bday and she invites you for dinner but your team has a playoff game?

I would keep my phone on DND. Go to my mom's place and enjoy my time with her, then get back home and get my beers ready and my weed and start the game from scratch and FF through all the commercials. There's no better option.
Wait, you need beer + weed to recover from going to your mom's bday?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad