OT: Alternatives to Rogers

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't find the price to be outrageous, and I don't need 20 subscriptions to get what I want. It's a way for me to pay a cost I am okay with to support artists I listen to, and it's also simple to use across all my devices. But the main reason now is probably because I have all my playlists built, so I'm locked in. They really should market a way to get people to build and share playlists, then you're just locked in for life.
I've only used the free version of Spotify and it suits my needs perfectly.

Also, artists make even less money from streaming than traditional forms.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I've only used the free version of Spotify and it suits my needs perfectly.

Also, artists make even less money from streaming than traditional forms.
I don't do commercials, so I pay. Well, the alternative is that I pay nothing and download, so they get what they get from me. Like I said, I am ok with paying reasonable costs for things. I just get tired of the predatory behavior of some of these companies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't do commercials, so I pay. Well, the alternative is that I pay nothing and download, so they get what they get from me. Like I said, I am ok with paying reasonable costs for things. I just get tired of the predatory behavior of some of these companies.
There is a way where you don't pay for commercials you know. Same as with you tube. I've never seen any of them ever on either site.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
There is a way where you don't pay for commercials you know. Same as with you tube. I've never seen any of them ever on either site.
I use an ad block to avoid commercials on YouTube but on spotify app you get commercials. I am sure there is a way to get it for free but like I said I am comfortable paying for things I use and paying for good products.

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
How the hell does every thread on this goddamn forum get derailed?

What iptv services are those of you who are using it subscribing to?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not judging, but FWIW and for sake of discussion, from my understanding most IPTV services are "illegal" as well. From what I read, it's only a legit service if you get it through your internet service provider, but maybe I misunderstood.

The way I see it is there's no getting around the high costs. If it's cheap, it's likely grey/black market service. Sort of like ordering weed off the internet for like 20% of the cost the Government wants to charge you.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not judging, but FWIW and for sake of discussion, from my understanding most IPTV services are "illegal" as well. From what I read, it's only a legit service if you get it through your internet service provider, but maybe I misunderstood.

The way I see it is there's no getting around the high costs. If it's cheap, it's likely grey/black market service. Sort of like ordering weed off the internet for like 20% of the cost the Government wants to charge you.
Nope you understand it correctly.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Nope you understand it correctly.
oh-shit-planet-of-the-apes.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

IPTV is cheap, like 10–20 a month. It is definitely illegal, but like streaming in Canada, I doubt there is much legal recourse against someone using it. I ask which one people use because there are many options and some are simply not reliable. So I would rather just use one that others are using that can vouch for it's reliability.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Bell Fibe TV.

I dislike Bell, so I hate to have to potentially help them get service, but it's the best legal one I've found. Best out of the illegal ones, too for the most part.

It's around 20 dollars a month for tsn, sportsnet and other channels. You dont get Sportsnet One. That's an extra 4 dollars a month and when playoffs roll around it's worth it.

You get an app on your phone and you can stream it to your TV through a streaming device, like Chromecast, or Apple TV.

The only issue I've had with it was last year it was hard for my phone to connect to the chromecast when trying to broadcast using their app, but anything else worked immediately. So far this year it works perfect.

First 10- 15 seconds are lowerish end resolution, but then it clears up.

I haven't noticed any Sens games being blacked out with the 2.

As a comparison, I user Sportsnet's app. Only got their SN channels and for some reason it cost over 50 bucks a month. Was really hard to cancel, had technical issues that others didn't see to have.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
IPTV is cheap, like 10–20 a month. It is definitely illegal, but like streaming in Canada, I doubt there is much legal recourse against someone using it. I ask which one people use because there are many options and some are simply not reliable. So I would rather just use one that others are using that can vouch for it's reliability.
Oh ya, the bag has been opened so wide it's just not worth the fight or likely even possible anymore with another one sprouting up the next day. Anyone can basically just google shit and find what they want no matter what it is. Like I said earlier, it's so easy that I've run across quite a few instances of people I know thinking it was a legit service they were using.

But mostly I was just clarifying for the sake of conversation where IPTV lands on the scale, I don't actually care what people do. I get the argument of IP and artists and all that, but as a society, we're taking it pretty hard on the backside these days and any way people can save themselves a buck it feels hard to blame them. Sometimes I mess up at the self checkouts too. Oops. Its a dog eat dog world out there. I've spent more on discs already in my life than like 20 people will for all their streaming services in their lives, so maybe I just feel a bit entitled.

Bell Fibe TV.

I dislike Bell, so I hate to have to potentially help them get service, but it's the best legal one I've found. Best out of the illegal ones, too for the most part.

It's around 20 dollars a month for tsn, sportsnet and other channels. You dont get Sportsnet One. That's an extra 4 dollars a month and when playoffs roll around it's worth it.

You get an app on your phone and you can stream it to your TV through a streaming device, like Chromecast, or Apple TV.

The only issue I've had with it was last year it was hard for my phone to connect to the chromecast when trying to broadcast using their app, but anything else worked immediately. So far this year it works perfect.

First 10- 15 seconds are lowerish end resolution, but then it clears up.

I haven't noticed any Sens games being blacked out with the 2.

As a comparison, I user Sportsnet's app. Only got their SN channels and for some reason it cost over 50 bucks a month. Was really hard to cancel, had technical issues that others didn't see to have.
You're not alone. Me and many others I know have had a hell of a time with both Sportsnet and TSN's apps acting up even though their internet was humming along fine and were being used on high end devices.

I had to resort to other options many times.

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Prime Video (i.e. Amazon) now offers Sportsnet as a premium channel. I suspect they offer the same programming as the Sportsnet app but with better reliability.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Prime Video (i.e. Amazon) now offers Sportsnet as a premium channel. I suspect they offer the same programming as the Sportsnet app but with better reliability.
What about out of market viewers, would they have access to all Sens games or are the only options Centre Ice or IPTV?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What about out of market viewers, would they have access to all Sens games or are the only options Centre Ice or IPTV?
It doesn't look like it.

I've been trying to read up on Sportsnet+ and out of market games, because I get free sportsnet+ (& TSN Go) logins through my TV provider. I buy center ice through my cable provider, so I was hoping that would open up the higher tier Sportsnet+Premium that has the out of market games, but the answer to that was no, it's still just the base app. The only option in my case is to buy the full $30/month plan direct from Sportsnet, there's no upgrade option.

I found some language in their terms that specified Sportsnet+Premium as a "Direct to Consumer" only product delivered by Sportsnet, thus not available through other services. I'm assuming that applies to Amazon.

EDIT: Found this and it appears they are letting Amazon subscribers upgrade to premium and the same appears to apply to Apple and Google. Sure would be nice for TV people to have the option.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
a friend of mine has-recommended an Android Box, … he has two HK1 Android boxes… and says he gets all the sports he wants, never misses a game he wants to see. Said he paid $150 for each box, and $30 a month for the service provider (not sure who that is)
he recommended a place in Rockland (near Ottawa) called Sullytech

Does anyone have any experience with an Android box and or Sullytech?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
a friend of mine has-recommended an Android Box, … he has two HK1 Android boxes… and says he gets all the sports he wants, never misses a game he wants to see. Said he paid $150 for each box, and $30 a month for the service provider (not sure who that is)
he recommended a place in Rockland (near Ottawa) called Sullytech

Does anyone have any experience with an Android box and or Sullytech?
Not sure they promote that service (for a reason).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m using IPTV this year. Giving it a football and hockey season before trimming Rogers down to basic channels. So far it’s been pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad