OT: Alternatives to cable or satellite TV providers for Wild fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've got Youtube TV, and I believe a few others here do as well. I pay $35/month (I think it increased to $40 for new subscribers), and there's a variety of ways to watch. My Samsung smart TV has an app, so no additional hardware needed there. On an older TV, I have a Chromecast (which they sent to me for free) hooked up to watch that way, and then I can watch on my computer and phone as well. I believe you can watch on three devices simultaneously, and it has unlimited DVR capabilities. It's got pretty much every channel I want, including FSN, FSN+, NBCSN, ESPN channels, and almost all of the standard cable channels.

Some other streaming alternatives are Sling, PS Vue, and Direct TV Now, and I'm sure I'm missing others. It depends on the features and package of channels you're looking for.

Reactions: a79krgm

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
I use DirectvNow and love it. They usually run a promo for a free Apple Tv if you prepay 3 months. I believe the new and improved apps are just leaving beta, I'm using beta on AppleTV and iPhone and they are great. Other benefit is if you use At&t you get free HBO. Also I believe you get a $25 credit per month if you link the two accounts.

Only downsides it is not available on every device, for instance Xbox One and you can only stream from 2 devices at a time. However you do get credentials to use partner apps like Fox Sports Go. So 2 people could stream and a third could use Fox Sports Go, Hbo Go and so on.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Thinking of replacing my tv with just a mural of the Wild all doing disappointing things-- Koivu cramming his garbage into a Santa's Salvation Army bucket (on the ground, a milk carton with Scandella's picture on it did not fit into the bucket), Suter parking a combine harvester across four handicap spots, Parise selling Brodin at an auction, Foligno stealing a tv on which can be seen Haula and Tuch celebrating a playoff goal, Dubnyk dragging a police officer away from a mugging to complain about the car parked so close to his, Coyle trembling behind a garbage can near the mugging, Tyler "The AHL called and-- no, no actually they didn't" Ennis rescuing a bunch of ducklings from the gutter, Granlund completely engrossed in reading The Art of the Deal, Boudreau in a travel agency with one hand full of cash and the other pointing at a poster for a 6-week cruise leaving April 15th 2019, Nino in a Swiss Deli directing his sandwich-maker to add double baby meat, the Patterson-Gimlin bigfoot in the background wearing a Sharks jersey, Staal with arms full of gifts walking into a giant closing window, Zucker wheeling away a cart of faded green-to-gray Wild jerseys and one red jersey, Spurgeon selling bottles from a Raw Water stand, Dumba buying bottles from the Raw Water stand, Greenway leaving a MN Welcome Center with a hotdish and a t-shirt bearing a trophy with a red circle around it and a diagonal line through it, Prosser holding a checklist of Wild player names for me and tapping on his, and so on.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Wild games are a priority for me, but I've gotten used to watching the NHL Network in the last few years. I see that some of streaming services include the NHL Network and some don't. I may need to get my "expert analysis and commentary" from someplace else I guess. Is there a "Russo Channel" available yet?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I use Sling and it has the NHLN, foxsports, and NBCSN channels. Just get an antenna for the local channels.

Reactions: Monkeypox

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
1) move to Finland (or Sweden..)
2) get Viaplay
3) profit
4) beer is bit expensive though..

Reactions: FVM

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I use youtubeTv. Had sling for a few months, quality was garbage, would fluctuate between HD and potato constantly, no matter my device (Apple TV, iPad, iPhone or MacBook Pro), and no matter what network I was on. YouTube tv has been super consistent and I’ve had no problems.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think it would just be FSW. The app requires your location to get regional channels.
Whoops, I meant like FSW, FSW+, etc. I hate trying to search for the Wild when the Bucks and Brewers are playing. Thanks for the info though!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Whoops, I meant like FSW, FSW+, etc. I hate trying to search for the Wild when the Bucks and Brewers are playing. Thanks for the info though!

With Sling I get both FSN and FSW plus the alternate channels for both. :dunno:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
With Sling I get both FSN and FSW plus the alternate channels for both. :dunno:
Bump.

So my area doesn’t have YouTube TV yet. With Sling, would I be able to watch Packer games, badger football, badger basketball, badger hockey? Or should I get an antenna?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Bump.

So my area doesn’t have YouTube TV yet. With Sling, would I be able to watch Packer games, badger football, badger basketball, badger hockey? Or should I get an antenna?

I'm really not sure. I don't pay for (or really know) all the things Sling offers and use an antenna for the local major networks. Hulu offers a local channels package and they were pushing it during the NHL Playoffs. Most of the streaming services offer a free 1 month (or something) trial.

Other than Brewers games, some hockey stuff, and a few races I haven't turned the tv on since the Wild's season was ended.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i dont have home internet can i still get youtube tv or sling without? i do have a samsung smart tv. currently comcast customer. thx. if i must have internet provider which company is the cheapest? thx2

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
i dont have home internet can i still get youtube tv or sling without? i do have a samsung smart tv. currently comcast customer. thx. if i must have internet provider which company is the cheapest? thx2
Yes you can totally have an internet streaming service without the internet. Did you try plugging the other end of your hdmi cable into a potato? while wearing a tinfoil hat?

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I cut the chord on dish. I'm trying amazon fire stick. I might get sling soon.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yes you can totally have an internet streaming service without the internet. Did you try plugging the other end of your hdmi cable into a potato? while wearing a tinfoil hat?

It's an aluminum foil hats now a days. Tin foil is more expensive and harder to find. :sarcasm:

To answer your question Dano: yes, you'll need an internet provider. I dunno the cheapest provider in your area.

I've also found that using a hulu box or fire stick instead of streaming straight from my smart tv works better.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
I use DirectvNow and love it. They usually run a promo for a free Apple Tv if you prepay 3 months. I believe the new and improved apps are just leaving beta, I'm using beta on AppleTV and iPhone and they are great. Other benefit is if you use At&t you get free HBO. Also I believe you get a $25 credit per month if you link the two accounts.

Only downsides it is not available on every device, for instance Xbox One and you can only stream from 2 devices at a time. However you do get credentials to use partner apps like Fox Sports Go. So 2 people could stream and a third could use Fox Sports Go, Hbo Go and so on.
Do you know or does anyone else know for that matter if you can pause rewind and continue watching a game after the scheduled time with directTV now? I used to have hulu TV but the very first game I watched I was about 10 minutes behind the broadcast, and even though it was set to record when the live game ended so did my broadcast and I couldn't watch it for 24 hours. Very frustrating so I'm looking for something new and directTV now is my front runner. They just don't give a lot of details on the features and the DVR specifics.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I'll just toss this out there. I usually watch one game every day during the season. I don't care which teams are playing in that game as I follow the league more than just any one team. The ESPN + app is $4.99/month and includes one game daily and the show In The Crease. Not too shabby a deal as long as you don't care what teams are playing.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'll just toss this out there. I usually watch one game every day during the season. I don't care which teams are playing in that game as I follow the league more than just any one team. The ESPN + app is $4.99/month and includes one game daily and the show In The Crease. Not too shabby a deal as long as you don't care what teams are playing.
ESPN has the rights to show a hockey game every day? That seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad