GDT: Alright Suckas, It's hot, it's Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final, it's Knight Time

Will the ice be okay tonight?

• It's always good in T-Mobile and stop complaining.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Not yet, no. But this is two games where they're playing like they're intimidated. I don't doubt they can bounce back and find the right mindset but tonight the confidence wasn't there from the beginning.

We were outplaying them at the start until after Neal scored. The confidence was there at the beginning. Then from the Theodore goal in the second until we didn't score on the long PP. Then again the last few minutes of the game until Tuch missed the open net.

Granted that isn't a lot of time outplaying them but even when they were outplaying us in the third they weren't getting quality chances either but were more content to sit on the lead.

I think their confidence is fine they just played poorly. Going on the road can hopefully help focus them up again.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't feel that they look intimidated. This game the top line failed to get the turnovers which generates to high scoring chances except at the beginning. The bottom line didn't have great puck possession like the first game.

We need to stop taking penalties because the caps PP is lethal and ours is really indecisive with the puck.
To me the offense looked intimidated by Washington's defense which was playing exactly how ours does when it's on. It just hasn't been.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Absolutely deserved to lose that one. No question. I know this isn't a team that loves to prepare based on game tape but if they haven't been already it's time to ****ing start. Washington clearly has. They position themselves in such a way that you just know they know exactly what Vegas is gonna do and they're ready to stop it before it starts. We got outworked, outcoached, and worse the defense beat itself. It took three periods for the Knights to learn they have to cut off the creasefront lane. The series isn't over by any stretch but it will be if they keep playing like that.

Calm down, don't let one game where they didn't get the bounces make you lose it.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
To me the offense looked intimidated by Washington's defense which was playing exactly how ours does when it's on. It just hasn't been.

I don't think they looked intimidated per se. The problem is they gave up those 2 goals in quick succession which allowed Washington to get into their trap game. That's where a lot of their success has come these playoffs. Getting a lead and shutting teams down. The bigger concern for me is the d-zone coverage, specifically the blown assignments on all these seam passes the Caps have connected on. The D really isn't making life easy for Fleury.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't think they looked intimidated per se. The problem is they gave up those 2 goals in quick succession which allowed Washington to get into their trap game. That's where a lot of their success has come these playoffs. Getting a lead and shutting teams down. The bigger concern for me is the d-zone coverage, specifically the blown assignments on all these seam passes the Caps have connected on. The D really isn't making life easy for Fleury.

Yes they should try to stop the seam passes but that's what this opponent is. They got to the Stanley Cup with seam passes and one touch passes into dangerous areas. You can focus all you want on it, but that's their strength and some are going to get by you even if you are trying to stop it. If it were that easy to stop then Ovi would have a quite a few less than 600 something goals.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yes they should try to stop the seam passes but that's what this opponent is. They got to the Stanley Cup with seam passes and one touch passes into dangerous areas. You can focus all you want on it, but that's their strength and some are going to get by you even if you are trying to stop it. If it were that easy to stop then Ovi would have a quite a few less than 600 something goals.

I don't know why Nosek was tasked with Ovechkin on the PK. Nosek is a good hand but I want one of our all star defensive forwards out there defending that play.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't know why Nosek was tasked with Ovechkin on the PK. Nosek is a good hand but I want one of our all star defensive forwards out there defending that play.

I'd have thought they'd have learned their lessons after the Winnipeg series because the Jets use the EXACT same PP setup as Washington and Laine burned us a few times just like Ovie did tonight. Obviously you're going to give up something in that scenario, but taking away Ovie has to be priority #1. Oshie 2nd. Reluctantly you give up the point shot from the middle. Ideally force Backstrom to be a shooter instead of a passer.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Calm down, don't let one game where they didn't get the bounces make you lose it.
I haven't lost it. I just think objectively speaking they didn't deserve to win. The defense was giving too much freedom and space to the Caps in the first two periods to go and pass wherever they wanted. We haven't been that bad at limiting space and lanes since the Sharks blowout. Not even Game 1 was that bad from a defensive perspective.

Yes we weren't getting the bounces but the Caps played a proactive defensive style against a Vegas offense that just wasn't aware enough, making panic plays with the puck, and generally not moving their feet enough. They were able to cut off far more passes and dumps just by being aware of what Vegas was gonna do then us not getting bounces.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a case of me thinking all is lost. To the contrary, it's my opinion that this is some of the weakest hockey Vegas has played in the playoffs and I fully believe they have what it takes to do better. But coming into the Finals and playing this limp is a very frustrating thing to see. Washington played a better game tonight but they were completely beatable. That's the most frustrating part, really.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's one thing to thread a seam in the middle of the offensive zone or from the point to the wings. It's another to thread a seam through right in front of the crease and it's another for a team to fail to stop it over and over and over again. Cross crease passes are one of the most difficult to make of any kind of pass short of a stretch pass right up the middle.
They stopped it in the third because they returned to the kind of defense that made their success possible. That needs to continue for more than just one period a game.
I have no idea what series you are watching....
The same one as you bud. Care to elaborate to your disagreements?

Almost every zone entry outside of the powerplays would either fail behind the net or around the boards and for every successful offensive set up there were three attempts where they didn't know what to do with the puck and it would come back out in seconds as the Caps were calmly skating and passing the puck out. The forecheck wasn't there enough to try to jar the puck back free. Maybe we have some disagreement as to the use of my term intimidated but they certainly looked mentally affected by Washington's defensive shift.
I don't disagree that the defensive errors were more critical. But I think the forward group has more speed and smarts than what we saw. Yeah Washington was trapping but it really wasn't just that. Intimidated, rattled, gripping the sticks, thrown off focus, whatever you want to call it. To me the offensive effort wasn't what we are used to. Even in game 1 they played with more tenacity and aggression.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Got home about an hour ago after going to Grimaldis for a little post game pizza. A couple of observations, notably what a PITA it was to get in & out of TMA with all the extra people showing up for the watch parties. The amount of cars had to be more than double. Anyone else notice the amount of drunks in the stands during these playoffs? It's making the environment inside the building really obnoxious.

Was probably my last game of the series & thus the season with my hectic work schedule & a vacation planned. Only the 3rd loss of the year while I was in the house. I think I was 10-3 including playoffs.

Lots of Caps fans in attendance tonight. 5 in the row directly ahead of us in 225. Hard to fault anyone for selling their tix & taking advantage of these high selling prices, but annoying nonetheless.

Anyway, I thought we gave away this game. From ragged defensive zone coverage in the last half of the first & most of the second, the horrible PK & 4on4 sequences allowing those wide open cross ice passes, not to mention the piss-poor execution during the 5 on 3.

The icing on the cake was Tuchsy not burying that one timer. He HAS to score there. Just no excuse, he blew it. I know he's going to lose a lot of sleep tonight, but he needs to bounce back. They all do.

We owned the 3rd period, but we need to stop trying for the perfect tic-tac-toe passing plays. Too many times we get too cute instead of just taking shots. I also noticed D-men at the points trying to get fancy & stick handle instead of dumping pucks down low & letting the forwards cycle. Bottom line, these games are won in the trenches & along the boards. This is going to be a long series. Buckle up.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Got home about an hour ago after going to Grimaldis for a little post game pizza. A couple of observations, notably what a PITA it was to get in & out of TMA with all the extra people showing up for the watch parties. The amount of cars had to be more than double. Anyone else notice the amount of drunks in the stands during these playoffs? It's making the environment inside the building really obnoxious.

Was probably my last game of the series & thus the season with my hectic work schedule & a vacation planned. Only the 3rd loss of the year while I was in the house. I think I was 10-3 including playoffs.

Lots of Caps fans in attendance tonight. 5 in the row directly ahead of us in 225. Hard to fault anyone for selling their tix & taking advantage of these high selling prices, but annoying nonetheless.

Anyway, I thought we gave away this game. From ragged defensive zone coverage in the last half of the first & most of the second, the horrible PK & 4on4 sequences allowing those wide open cross ice passes, not to mention the piss-poor execution during the 5 on 3.

The icing on the cake was Tuchsy not burying that one timer. He HAS to score there. Just no excuse, he blew it. I know he's going to lose a lot of sleep tonight, but he needs to bounce back. They all do.

We owned the 3rd period, but we need to stop trying for the perfect tic-tac-toe passing plays. Too many times we get too cute instead of just taking shots. I also noticed D-men at the points trying to get fancy & stick handle instead of dumping pucks down low & letting the forwards cycle. Bottom line, these games are won in the trenches & along the boards. This is going to be a long series. Buckle up.

While we outshot the caps by 13 shots, we should have shot more. The passing drives me nuts too. The cycle back to no one which burns time chasing the puck back and resetting is also really annoying on power plays. After Miller's goal I was hoping for more shots from him, but he seems hesitant. I love his hard shot as players get dinged up if they block it.

After all the talk about Schmidt, he hasn't looked good yet imho. I think he had one good rush, but that was it. We need him to help skate the puck into the zone more as well as breaking up more plays on d.

The top line with the exception early on were invisible tonight. They didn't look good skating with the puck and passing looked worse. Marchy was especially bad. I hope he isn't playing with a concussion. Or maybe the caps were that much more focused on shutting the top line down tonight.

Haula had a few good chances, but he's gotta bury them. He seemed better in the regular season offensively.

The bottom line went from great to looking like a bad 4th line. Reaves took a penalty and none of them looked good except for maybe one possession. I don't expect offense from them like game 1, but I do expect them to wear out the caps by winning the puck battles along the boards.

Was anyone hurt in the 3rd? All of those line changes really threw me off. I don't remember if any of the lines stayed intact. I think I remember seeing Carp on the top line and Smith on the 4th.

If Carrier gets to play whose spot should he take? I was thinking Nosek, but not after his game 1 performance. Carp?

Reaves really needs to fight Wilson. I'm done with his bullshit and needs to be put into his place.

I really hope we take at least one game at their barn. We've never been down after 2 games so I hope we don't get out into a must win situation.

If the coaching staff can get the team to stop the cross crease passes and get turnovers like they did in game 1, we'll be fine for the rest of the series.

Last edited:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Hasn’t been mentioned here yet, but has on the Stanley Cup Board, but Haula received a 5 minute major and a game for slashing at 20:00 of the 3rd, I expect DOPS to take a look... don’t know if it is suspension worthy.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
As for the game as a whole, I agree that we did not play well enough to win, did not deserve to win... but came pretty damn close anyway.

Offensively I’m not sure I’d say we were intimidated, but after Neal’s goal we lost confidence.... somehow, nothing was automatic, we bobbled it, spent too long trying to decide what to do with it, and blew god knows how many good chances by missing the net. The 5 on 3 was awful, it was a badly set up power play.

Defensively, we must stop the cross crease pass and keep on our man and not give the puck away in our own zone.

Goaltending, I don’t believe Flower has been awful, he has not been godlike he hasn’t been saving goals he had no business saving. He has overcommitted on a couple of goals hoping the defence would be there... they were not. If he could get back to god mode fleury that would help, if he settled down a little and no overcommit it would help, but I think defense is more the problem than Flower

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm high key annoyed that imagine Dragons won't play outside. They're one of my favorite modern bands.

I just saw this now. Dan Reynolds used to live 5 houses away from us. We used to see his wife and daughter a lot at the park when we took the dog out for a walk. They must have upgraded homes as we live in a regular summerlin subdivision near bishop gorman. I only talked to him once and it was about cars. He seemed like a regular cool dude.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
count me in as one of the people that don't understand why some feel this was a really frustrating loss. the knights were in it all game, came within a hair of tying it and bombarded the capitals for 3 minutes straight. eakin could have easily scored 7 but that's neither here nor there.

carrier should draw in on the 3rd line and give the capitals all they can handle next game. they need to get bodies to the net, continue to crosscheck and make space for themselves, and for god's sake don't miss the shot by 10 feet.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Absolutely deserved to lose that one. No question. I know this isn't a team that loves to prepare based on game tape but if they haven't been already it's time to ****ing start. Washington clearly has. They position themselves in such a way that you just know they know exactly what Vegas is gonna do and they're ready to stop it before it starts. We got outworked, outcoached, and worse the defense beat itself. It took three periods for the Knights to learn they have to cut off the creasefront lane. The series isn't over by any stretch but it will be if they keep playing like that.

Washington is very good at this. They completely took away the Blue Jackets offense (not that we have a great system) and completely stifled TB in Games 6 & 7. Hopefully the Knights shake it up and win one in DC.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I just saw this now. Dan Reynolds used to live 5 houses away from us. We used to see his wife and daughter a lot at the park when we took the dog out for a walk. They must have upgraded homes as we live in a regular summerlin subdivision near bishop gorman. I only talked to him once and it was about cars. He seemed like a regular cool dude.

I enjoyed the song (and I'm a cantankerous old ***t).

Last edited:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
The Kuznetsov injury appears remarkably similar to the one that took Reilly Smith out for the last part of the RS. He missed, what, a month?
I watched most of the game on my phone while at my daughter's graduation and missed the third period. From what I saw, Washington was better and the series is getting chippier. They had one 5 on 5 goal, as did we. While I'm glad they're letting them play a bit, they are still making too many ticky tack calls, cutting down on the 5 on 5 play, which is what we came to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad