Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Teoscar Hernandez trade is working out well for us.

He does K a lot, but they may have to find a spot for him, sooner rather than later. I don’t particularly like the way the offence is set up and they’ll be looking for hits in the lineup.
Maybe Granderson can DH a few games and play CF some games and they could play him in corner OF.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
JP hated Zaun largely because Zaun would say things players don't like. JP will be another Sportsnet yes man propagandist trying to keep his cred with the players by never saying anything critical about them.

I didn't love Zaun but I appreciated that he was willing to say what he felt about some guys even if it did make baby millionaire ballplayers like JP cry into their baby blankets.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Phillies release Cameron Rupp

Just a quick reminder that Luke Maile had a .176 OBP last season.

Follow-up reminder that Luke Maile rates as an elite defensive catcher the last couple years (+13 DRS - on a per inning basis, he's second among the 65 catchers with at least 500 innings behind the plate) while Rupp is terrible (-20 - he's 61st in that same group).

If they could replace, say, Morales with Rupp and have Rupp DH against lefties (where he has a career 133 wRC+) and only catch when they really need him, I would be all for that. But even having Rupp behind the plate once a week is too much.

I'll take my chances that Maile can manage something like a 50 wRC+. At least he knows the pitching staff and is outstanding behind the plate.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Anyone interested in buying home opener tickets.

Section 243R, Row 6, Seats 8 and 9.

This is my last set, sold the seats next to them for $250 for pair.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fangraphs Positional rankings Update

3B 1st
C 9th
2B 11th
SS 11th
CF 12th
1B 12th
RF 13th
LF 15th
DH 9th (of 15)

SP 13th
RP 18th

So nothing surprising - one elite slot surrounded by a whole lotta average. All things being equal, that probably means playoff contention. If more of those average slots turn into bad slots than good slots, though, we're pooched.

One thing I'll add, though, is that these slots aren't created equal. SP is probably worth 7 of the positional slots and the bullpen another 2. Or something like that.

And given that SP is by far the most valuable of any slot here, I'll point out my one major quibble with all the projections - the projection of Aaron Sanchez as a 2-2.5war pitcher even if healthy. In my biased opinion, Sanchez is just plain better than that, by a lot.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The rankings seem fair other than our starting pitching rotation. If the projections are based on everyone staying healthy, I think we should definitely crack the top 10 at the very least.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Fangraphs Positional rankings Update

3B 1st
C 9th
2B 11th
SS 11th
CF 12th
1B 12th
RF 13th
LF 15th
DH 9th (of 15)

SP 13th
RP 18th

So nothing surprising - one elite slot surrounded by a whole lotta average. All things being equal, that probably means playoff contention. If more of those average slots turn into bad slots than good slots, though, we're pooched.

One thing I'll add, though, is that these slots aren't created equal. SP is probably worth 7 of the positional slots and the bullpen another 2. Or something like that.

And given that SP is by far the most valuable of any slot here, I'll point out my one major quibble with all the projections - the projection of Aaron Sanchez as a 2-2.5war pitcher even if healthy. In my biased opinion, Sanchez is just plain better than that, by a lot.

There are 18 starting CF worse than Kevin Pillar?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There are 18 starting CF worse than Kevin Pillar?

those positional rankings include projections of all the players that they project to split time at each position, not just the starter.

but that being said, Pillar has been the 11th most valuable CF in baseball over the last 2yrs, and 8th most valuable over the last 3.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If you only consider AL teams;

C 5th
1B 4th
2B 8th
SS 7th
3B 1st
RF 6th
CF 6th
LF 8th
DH 9th (of 15)

SP 6th
RP 8th

Pretty much right there in terms of in the race with the exception of DH and we are still pretty close. I think we are graded pretty fairly though i wouldnt be outraged if our SS production was seen lower - our depth will be tested again with Tulo injured. Though i take our 1B depth over the Rangers and A's. I take our LF depth over the Rangers and Twins (Astros should be much better than projected). Ill take our RF over the Mariners too. And i take our rotation over the Rays. And so far our pen over the Rangers.

Reactions: zeke

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
those positional rankings include projections of all the players that they project to split time at each position, not just the starter.

but that being said, Pillar has been the 11th most valuable CF in baseball over the last 2yrs, and 8th most valuable over the last 3.

Maybe, I guess the sport is getting that bad.
Not surprising when you see how the kids play with such mechanical structure and instruction.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Maybe, I guess the sport is getting that bad.
Not surprising when you see how the kids play with such mechanical structure and instruction.

"The sport is getting that bad" because Kevin Pillar has been one of the best CF in the league the last few years? Have you ever watched him play the OF?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The rankings seem fair other than our starting pitching rotation. If the projections are based on everyone staying healthy, I think we should definitely crack the top 10 at the very least.

Projections include injury assumptions, so it's not just based on everyone staying healthy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
"The sport is getting that bad" because Kevin Pillar has been one of the best CF in the league the last few years? Have you ever watched him play the OF?

He’s my favourite player on the team. A tremendous athlete, which overcomes a lot his mental deficiencies. He hotdogs a few that he could get under, but that’s fine, people pay good money to be entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad