OT: All you can eat breakfast in ottawa? (Official offseason thread)

masterandy18

Oct 8, 2007
There are plenty of All You Can Eat.

Breakfast, go to Whole Foods on the weekend from 8AM-1PM. $9.99 for ayce breakfeast brunch.

AYCE Sushi, chinese buffets, Kontinental Buffet, Eclipse Buffet.

Pizza Hut AYCE.

The Racetrack.

East Side Mario's does AYCE Soup with a main dish.

There's lots of Fusion AYCE.

Korean BBQ AYCE.

Tucker's Marketplace.

I'm sure there's more but I'm asian so i'm very happy with AYCE selections here in Ottawa

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's things like this that make me feel ottawa is severly lacking in the service industry.

Eating in the dark. Have friends who did it in other major cities and loved it. No option here.
All you can eat buffets. Few and far between or only offered on certain days and certain times.
All day breakfast. Few and far between or only at a distinct location across town.

Yet if i go to montreal or toronto i keep hearing and seeing places like this.

People always mention the bar scene, but the bar scenes are way more similar. It's the food option at any time or any place that lack in ottawa.

Didn't contribute to this convo, just ranted lol.

Driving 10 minutes west gets me to the blair area. Driving 10 minutes east gets me to trim aread. Driving 10 minutes north gets me to the ottawa river. Driving 10 minutes south gets me to the outskirts of avalon. Within that radius is roughly 250,000 people. Where am i to get breakfast at midnight on a friday? Where am i to get groceries at 1am on a wednesday? Where am i to get any sit down food?

Whereas in toronto, i've had food at sit down places late at night in the suburbs. I didn't have to go downtown.

Toronto/montreal= many food options everywhere
Ottawa= some food options only available downtown.

Whereas with the nightlife scene, i've never been to an after hours club, but there are a few because some of my buddies go to them. Yes, there are more options in toronto or montreal, but it's the same stuff, just slightly bigger.

In ottawa, you still have like 20-30 clubs, and 100 bars scattered across the city. If you want a sports bar, you have many options everywhere. If you want a pub, you've got many option everywhere. If you want a nightclub to dance with a DJ, you've got plenty of options.

With clubbing, you have plenty of options here. They're just bigger and better in other cities. With food however, you don't have many options, just smaller and worse.

I wish i had a couple options for food late on a weekday. I wish i could have pancakes and french toast in orleans when i get off work at 10pm(eat at 1030-11)...but i cant.

When i was in toronto or montreal for clubbing, there were many options obviously. But when i've gone for hockey or soccer tournaments and stayed in the suburbs, there were still many 24 hour grocery stores, restaurants open late, all you can eat buffets, etc.

Its a great place to live. Just no food options.

Your criticisms of the food scene make no sense.

Eating in the dark? Who gives a ****. It's such a one-time thing and quite frankly it's ****ing stupid as hell.
AYCE buffets are a dying breed. Know why? Because people prefer quality over quantity. Not everything is about how much greasy, over-salted, dried out garbage can you shovel in your mouth for $xx.99.
All day breakfast. Who cares? If there's only one place in the whole city that serves an all day breakfast, that's more than enough.

Why do you need breakfast at midnight on a Friday? And why do you expect there to be all these places catering to such a niche market? Groceries at 1 am on a Wednesday? Do you seriously think grocery stores are going to keep the lights on in residential areas on the off chance that once a week someone comes in between 11 pm and 6 am to buy groceries? Sit down food in Orleans? Again, who are they catering to? The very small chance that there's a handful of people who want that kind of thing at that time of day? Have some common sense. What kind of restaurant is going to open in a recently developed suburban community and keep the lights on well in to the night on the off chance that there's someone out there who's looking for a sit down meal after 10 pm? I work in a restaurant in the market and I can tell you by 12 am (at the absolute latest) that there's almost no one looking for a sit down dining experience at that point.

The food scene in Ottawa doesn't lack. In your eyes, what's lacking are very, very, very specific niche restaurants. The kind that don't add anything to any city's food scene. And that's not a fair criticism to levy against a city.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The fact that all these options are here but you're not willing to drive 10 minutes to get to them tells me that you are just whining for no reason to be honest. If you live in Orleans there is a Metro on St-Laurent open 24h, and if you want all day breakfeast at the same time, these is also Perkins that's open 24h. If you don't like Perkins, then you can drive 2 minutes more and get downtown and then you can have all night in places like Zacks Diner and Dunns. There's also Dennys. Like BankStreetParade just mentionned, you live in Orleans, a new residential area, what do you expect? Even then, there's still places you can eat late on most nights. There are still buffets that are open everyday. These restaurants can't keep open unless there is enough people coming, it's just not logical for them to do so. But let's face it, if you're not willing to drive 10 minutes to get to these things and then you're whining about it, there's really nothing to do for you. Most grocery stores are open until 11PM in Orleans so the worst thing that can happen is that you organize yourself to go before that time which is really not very hard to do, if you don't like to be organizd then you drive 10 mintes to St-Laurent.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Eating in the dark? Who gives a ****. It's such a one-time thing and quite frankly it's ****ing stupid as hell.

Until this thread, I had never heard of this. Is it actually a thing that is common in the hipper cities?

Seems very strange to me, although I will confess that I've had some dates in my younger days where it would have been a nice option.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
"All-you-can-eat" breakfasts or any meal time, are a recipe for future obesity and possible diabetes. I have learned not to go to places with all-you-can-eat offerings. Tough it is! But having to lose weight several times over my lifetime have taught me that. I think it is better to eat small meals several times per day and avoid over-eating for health reasons. Just my 0 sense! :)

So true and this is the first thing I thought when I saw the title. Unless you're an athlete that is constantly needing replenishment these places should be avoided and if you're bringing people with you, such as children, you're really laying the foundation for poor eating habits. People generally don't realize how little food would make them satisfied.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Wilfred's at the Chateau Laurier has a great brunch buffet on weekends. It's pretty pricey but appropriate for special occasions.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The Brookstreet has a Sunday morning brunch starting at 11am that's like $32... but you can have sushi AND pancakes at the same time!

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
You guys think you have no where to eat in Ottawa?

It could be worse....you could be living in Barrhaven

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I just stayed in downtown Ottawa for a game in march, and there was an all you can eat breakfast buffet at the Lord elgin hotel restaurant.

It wasn't especially good, but being from Sudbury and having no all you can eat breakfast buffets of our own, I was pretty damn satisfied that I can now say that Ive eaten all the bacon my body can handle in one sitting :laugh:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The Brookstreet has a Sunday morning brunch starting at 11am that's like $32... but you can have sushi AND pancakes at the same time!

While it is pricey, this is my family's favorite brunch in the city. Food is excellent, service outstanding.

First time we were there they gave us the kids' brunches for free.

GertrudeStein

Feb 17, 2015
Survival skills for all-you-can-eat buffets
POSTED MARCH 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
Patrick J. Skerrett, Executive Editor, Harvard Health
Chinese restaurant buffet
All-you-can-eat buffets are a boon for hungry, thrifty diners and a nightmare for dieters or those trying to maintain a healthy weight. If you are in the latter camp, here are two tips from Brian Wansink, the master of mindful eating:

Take a walk around the entire buffet to scope out your options before serving yourself.
Put your food on a small plate instead of a big one.
Wansink, professor of consumer behavior at Cornell University, and colleague Mitsuru Shimizu led a team of 30 trained observers to watch more than 300 men and women in two dozen all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant buffets and unobtrusively record six specific activities: how quickly the diners served themselves; choice of plate size; location of table; whether they faced the buffet; eating utensils used; and where they placed their napkin. Diners who surveyed the buffet before serving themselves and those who used smaller plates made fewer trips to the buffet, and so likely ate less.

“Consistent with the idea that small changes might lessen one’s tendency to overeat, deliberative thought about what to serve oneself, and using a smaller plate, may reduce overeating in buffets,†they write in the April 2013 American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

In an earlier study, the Cornell team showed that buffet diners with higher body-mass index (a measure of weight) tended to serve before surveying, used larger plates, sat facing the buffet, and used forks instead of chopsticks.

continued at:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/survival-skills-for-all-you-can-eat-buffets-201303226015

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So true and this is the first thing I thought when I saw the title. Unless you're an athlete that is constantly needing replenishment these places should be avoided and if you're bringing people with you, such as children, you're really laying the foundation for poor eating habits. People generally don't realize how little food would make them satisfied.

I was recently been advised by my doc to lose 10 pounds or else I would have to go on diabetic meds. So I lost 15 pounds and improved my glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure readings and have had my BP med cut in half. Good results! I have now lost a total of 23 pounds and plan to lose 4 more to reach 170 lbs. All-you-can-eat buffets are taboo for me. Not just for health reasons but also because of how they make me feel after eating them: bloated, stuffed, tired! I now eat more fruit, vegetables and a hell of a lot of popcorn! :)

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I was recently been advised by my doc to lose 10 pounds or else I would have to go on diabetic meds. So I lost 15 pounds and improved my glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure readings and have had my BP med cut in half. Good results! I have now lost a total of 23 pounds and plan to lose 4 more to reach 170 lbs. All-you-can-eat buffets are taboo for me. Not just for health reasons but also because of how they make me feel after eating them: bloated, stuffed, tired! I now eat more fruit, vegetables and a hell of a lot of popcorn! :)

hmmm popcorn with 3 tbl spoon of butter!!!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Sorry jbeck, sounds like you live in a suburb in the middle of nowhere. There are a TON of good food places in Ottawa. Not just downtown either. Westboro/Hintonburg is really emmerging as a leading area in culinary experiences. Even Stittsville.

HAO Sushi on Merivale ftw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad