All-Time Wrestling Draft: 2021

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It would be very difficult to come in with a full fledged plan, given that you can never know what wrestlers will be available. I have loose plans, mainly contingent on which wrestlers I end up with, but I'm sure that many have that. A lot of the best ideas end up being things that fall into your lap anyway.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It is difficult with a plan, but I do come in with full fledged plans. They never work out exactly and this year is an example, but I find it helps regardless. That said to @JackSlater 's point, a lot of my favorite ideas or matches have come from simply adapting to the draft and I've learned a lot about guys who I didn't even know existed.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
The first few years I did this I had hard and strict plans, with specific wrestlers in mind. I usually did well as I would go mostly for people I could realistically get, and would have short lists of substitutes if need be.

Last year and this year I've been looser with my plans. Most of the things I definitely wanted to do, I've done. Now it's a matter of getting the wrestlers I've always wanted. Dusty this year is an example of that. Happened to be available and I scooped him up. No real plan in mind for him.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Other years I went in with plans and never got out of the first round. This year I figured that my strategy would be to draft the best available talent at the top of the draft and work my way around it as I go. I actually feel as if I am off to my best start yet with Flair, Lesnar, Steamboat and Omega. I’ll see how the rest of the draft runs but at least I am very happy that I can create a true headline matchup there. Actually I see multiple matches to potentially make.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With Jake Roberts, I've now had pretty much every wrestler I've ever really wanted in the wrestling draft. Time to plant fear.

Other years I went in with plans and never got out of the first round. This year I figured that my strategy would be to draft the best available talent at the top of the draft and work my way around it as I go. I actually feel as if I am off to my best start yet with Flair, Lesnar, Steamboat and Omega. I’ll see how the rest of the draft runs but at least I am very happy that I can create a true headline matchup there. Actually I see multiple matches to potentially make.

You've got a nice mix of old and new with guys who can all perform in ring. I'm interested to see what comes of it. I'm not an Omega fan per se but he's an interesting contrast for each of those other three guys.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
With Jake Roberts, I've now had pretty much every wrestler I've ever really wanted in the wrestling draft. Time to plant fear.

You've got a nice mix of old and new with guys who can all perform in ring. I'm interested to see what comes of it. I'm not an Omega fan per se but he's an interesting contrast for each of those other three guys.
Your selection of Jake "The Snake" Roberts is a contender for best steal/value with the Piper selection. Did you get to see Jake on his tour in '19? Great stuff. When the world opens up I hope he is able to hit the road again. Would see him again in a heartbeat.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Your selection of Jake "The Snake" Roberts is a contender for best steal/value with the Piper selection. Did you get to see Jake on his tour in '19? Great stuff. When the world opens up I hope he is able to hit the road again. Would see him again in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't have taken Roberts just now if I'd had him before. I would regret not taking him if he were gone by the time I picked next though. He's a very strongly defined character and a great promo obviously. He never lit the world on fire in ring but I'm comfortable with having only one great in ring performer in a match. I don't really know anything about his tour honestly, I'm actually somewhat curious about what he discusses. The wrestling world is so full of podcasts and shoots that you almost get the sense that there isn't much left to discuss.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I had an idea for Roberts not so long ago, but it went down the memory hole. That’s why I write stuff down throughout the year, but I think I some things got lost in the shuffle when I moved a few weeks ago.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Traveling for work, so depending on when my next pick comes around might be alright delay but should be within the mandated timeframes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was close to picking Balor or AJ, but stuck with what I came into the draft looking for.

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Things I like about Balor, things I don’t. A few ideas in mind for him, but we’ll see. I feel like this year’s draft is a bit tougher. It’s usually as you get closer to round 10 that I find it’s easier to get who I want.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I wanted Balor as well. He is very versatile as to who you can put him with and with what gimmick.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well tough luck Rubes. Maybe as you’re crossing MJF off your lists while you’re in Mom and Dad’s basement you can yell upstairs and see if Mommy can get you some ice cream. :D

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Smart picking Regal this early if you want him. Was going to get him this year. One of my favorites of all time. Massively underrated guy if you ask me.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Some good picks last night. Perfect and Rude are some of my all time favourites and I'm high on Regal too. MJF is a current young guy that I was interested in. Good stuff.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well tough luck Rubes. Maybe as you’re crossing MJF off your lists while you’re in Mom and Dad’s basement you can yell upstairs and see if Mommy can get you some ice cream. :D

FYI, this was an MJFesque type post and no offense to any of y’ all. For the record I’m living at my parents’ until I get my new bed delivered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad