All Time Olympic Teams

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You're right. Mark Howe needs to be on this team big time. I forgot that Gordie's kids were Americans. Move Phil Housley to the 4th line at even strength, where he can't hurt the team as much with his defensive gaffes (Buffalo apparently used him at forward at times so it isn't unheard of). He can still play on the PP with Leetch.

New team USA:

John Leclair - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Keith Tkachuk - Pat Lafontaine - Joe Mullen
Chris Drury - Jeremy Roenick - Cecil Dillon
Phil Housley - Neil Broten - Tony Amonte

Extras = Scott Gomez, Bobby Carpenter, Brian Rolston, Zach Parise

Chris Chelios - Mark Howe
Brian Leetch - Rod Langway
Derian Hatcher - Gary Suter
Extras: Kevin Hatcher, Taffy Abel, Dave Langevin, Brian Rafalski

Frank Brimsek
John Vanbiesbrouck (or Tom Barrasso or Mike Richter)

PP1: Leclair - Modano - Hull - Leetch - Housley
PP2: Tkatchuk - Lafontaine - Mullen/Roenick - Chelios - Howe

PK1: Modano - Drury - Hatcher - Langway
PK2: Broten - Dillon - Chelios - Howe

Doc Romnes could fit in there somewhere.

Maybe Hobey Baker?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Pouzar started to play hockey in top CS league in 17 years (1969). During 12 seasons he scored 279 goals and in 1978/79 he won goal scoring race with 42 goals.

Errrrrrrrr, no, he didn't, in fact FAR from it. That was Vladimir Martinec:

(from http://hokej.snt.cz/wrld/cze1979.html)
Goal Scoring Leaders G
1. Vladimír Martinec JIH/PCE 42
2. Marián Šťastný Slovan 39
3. Milan Nový Kladno 33
4. Anton Šťastný Slovan 32
Peter Šťastný Slovan 32
6. Vincent Lukáč Košice 27
7. Miloš Holaň Vítkovice 26
8. František Černík Vítkovice 24
9. Eda Novák Kladno 23
10. M. Fryčer Vítkovice 22
J. Lukáč Košice 22
P. Ihnačák Jihlava 22
13. F. Čech Budějov. 21
14. M. Miklošovič Slovan 20
J. Pouzar Budějov. 20

The most notable single achievement by Pouzar I can think of is that he was the 3rd leading scorer at the 1980 Winter Olympics; he was also the top goal-scorer there with 8 goals.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Actually begbeee was kind of right. Pouzar did win the goal-scoring title in the Czechoslovak league with 42 goals, but it was in the 1977-78 season. Golden Hockey Stick went to Ivan Hlinka though.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Errrrrrrrr, no, he didn't, in fact FAR from it. That was Vladimir Martinec:

(from http://hokej.snt.cz/wrld/cze1979.html)
Goal Scoring Leaders G
1. Vladimír Martinec JIH/PCE 42
2. Marián Šťastný Slovan 39
3. Milan Nový Kladno 33
4. Anton Šťastný Slovan 32
Peter Šťastný Slovan 32
6. Vincent Lukáč Košice 27
7. Miloš Holaň Vítkovice 26
8. František Černík Vítkovice 24
9. Eda Novák Kladno 23
10. M. Fryčer Vítkovice 22
J. Lukáč Košice 22
P. Ihnačák Jihlava 22
13. F. Čech Budějov. 21
14. M. Miklošovič Slovan 20
J. Pouzar Budějov. 20

The most notable single achievement by Pouzar I can think of is that he was the 3rd leading scorer at the 1980 Winter Olympics; he was also the top goal-scorer there with 8 goals.

Actually begbeee was kind of right. Pouzar did win the goal-scoring title in the Czechoslovak league with 42 goals, but it was in the 1977-78 season. Golden Hockey Stick went to Ivan Hlinka though.
Not bad, when you imagine him as a one of the best if not best LW which played left-wing lock system in CSSR national team = he was defensive forward.
He is nowhere near Europe All-Time but is perfectly fit for DevilMadeMe´s CSSR team which was made with left-wing lock strategy and arguably could fit in 4th line. Straka is biggest mistake on that team.

Last edited:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Why not? It's perfectly defensible. Only nostalgia would rank Pospisil, Suchy, or Kasatonov as clearly better than Chara.

The exclusion of Makarov was the biggest issue I had with his team.

It was all-time olympic team. Chara havent been that good internationally. Suchy and Pospisil were amongst the best of their era internationally.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It was all-time olympic team. Chara havent been that good internationally. Suchy and Pospisil were amongst the best of their era internationally.

Ah, I see. I was including their "entire careers," which as a North American means I put a lot of emphasis on NHL play.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Ah, I see. I was including their "entire careers," which as a North American means I put a lot of emphasis on NHL play.

Yes I think alot of the people here put emphasis on NHL but the topic title says all-time olympic teams. So I think its only fair to put emphasis on olympic players.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yes I think alot of the people here put emphasis on NHL but the topic title says all-time olympic teams. So I think its only fair to put emphasis on olympic players.

I don't think you can just use Olympic players, because then the USSR would pretty much own everyone, considering the 1998 Olympics was the first team to allow NHLers.

Even if you used the criteria of what a guy did in international competitions, you pretty much can't have any Canadian NHLers before the 1970s. And Gilbert Perreault would then need to be on everyone's Team Canada.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I'm garbage at making lineups, anyone want to venture to make all time teams for the following:

Nordic (Finland & Sweden + anyone from Norway, Denmark, Iceland)
North America (yes I know it will primarily be Canadian)
Warsaw Pact (Soviet Union + Soviet Bloc Nations)
Rest-of-World (not to include any nations listed above)

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I don't think you can just use Olympic players, because then the USSR would pretty much own everyone, considering the 1998 Olympics was the first team to allow NHLers.

Even if you used the criteria of what a guy did in international competitions, you pretty much can't have any Canadian NHLers before the 1970s. And Gilbert Perreault would then need to be on everyone's Team Canada.

Ofcourse you can. Sure russian players were dominating but we still have the players who could play exceptionally good against the mighty USSR.

There is still players who played good efter the 98 olympics for team Canada. Wheres the fun in putting together All-time NHL teams by nationality? ;)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm garbage at making lineups, anyone want to venture to make all time teams for the following:

North America (yes I know it will primarily be Canadian)

There wouldn't be a single American without 100 miles of that team....

Even if you made a Tier 2 team, only one American would be even close to making that one - Chris Chelios.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Doc Romnes could easily replace half-a-doze guys on that list...

Zach Parise, Scott Gomez, Bobby Carpenter, Neal Broten, Chris Drury, and Phil Housley (at forward)

Only Parise, and that's highly arguable considering Parise's exceptional peak. Romnes' competition was terrible. His case isn't as easy as looking at his three top-10 finishes in assists.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Only Parise, and that's highly arguable considering Parise's exceptional peak. Romnes' competition was terrible. His case isn't as easy as looking at his three top-10 finishes in assists.

Even if you think his competition was terrible, his numbers are far superior to many of these guys.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Even if you think his competition was terrible, his numbers are far superior to many of these guys.

In his three best seasons, he had 95%, 64%, and 63% of the #2 scorer. (Marty Barry, Syl Apps, Joe Primeau)

Even Drury had years of 71%, 60%, and 55% (vs. Thornton, Bure, and Malkin) while being a much better leader and defensive and physical player. And I think he's the weakest offensively of the bunch you named, though I haven't checked Carpenter's numbers.

Drury also has five more seasons with 91%-116% as many raw points as that third-best season. Romnes' five next-best seasons were 93%, 83%, 76%, 62% and 41% as good statistically as his 3rd-best.

He has a definitively better "best season", that's about it.

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki

Nordic (Finland & Sweden + anyone from Norway, Denmark, Iceland)

Here's my try...

Markus Näslund - Peter Forsberg - Jari Kurri
Jere Lehtinen - Saku Koivu - Teemu Selänne
Henrik Zetterberg - Mats Sundin - Daniel Alfredsson
Mats Näslund - Tumba Johansson - Esa Tikkanen

Nicklas Lidström - Börje Salming
Lennart Svedberg - Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen - Calle Johansson

Miikka Kiprusoff

Chased By Trolls

Generational Talent
Mar 18, 2002
Tampere, Finland
Visit site
My try at Team Nordic (tried to keep most players at their natural positions)

Markus Näslund - Peter Forsberg - Jari Kurri
Mats Näslund - Sven "Tumba" Johansson - Håkan Loob
Henrik Zetterberg - Mats Sundin - Daniel Alfredsson

Extras: Esa Tikkanen - Henrik Sedin - Tomas Sandström

Nicklas Lidström - Börje Salming
Teppo Numminen - Kimmo Timonen
Lennart Svedberg - Reijo Ruotsalainen

Extra: Jyrki Lumme

Miikka Kiprusoff
Pelle Lindbergh

For Team Finland the line-up could look something like this:

Esa Tikkanen - Raimo Helminen - Jari Kurri
Ville Peltonen - Olli Jokinen - Petri Skriko
Lasse Oksanen - Christian Ruuttu - Sami Kapanen

Extras: Esa Peltonen - Janne Ojanen - Ilkka Sinisalo

Teppo Numminen - Reijo Ruotsalainen
Jyrki Lumme - Kimmo Timonen
Risto Siltanen - Pekka Rautakallio
Pekka Marjamäki

Miikka Kiprusoff
Jarmo Myllys

Last edited:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Swedish all-time

Sterner - Forsberg - Loob
Mats Näslund - Nilsson - Tumba
Zetterberg - Sundin - Alfredsson
Markus Näslund - Rundqvist - Bengt-Ake Gustafsson

Extras: Hedberg, Jönsson, Bergqvist, Dahlén.

Lidström - Salming
Stoltz - Svedberg
Eldebrink - Waltin

Extras: Samuelsson, Abrahamsson x2, Nordlander, Johansson, Jonsson

Leif Holmqvist
Pelle Lindbergh
Peter "Pekka" Lindmark

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Swedish all-time

Sterner - Forsberg - Loob
Mats Näslund - Nilsson - Tumba
Zetterberg - Sundin - Alfredsson
Markus Näslund - Rundqvist - Bengt-Ake Gustafsson

Extras: Hedberg, Jönsson, Bergqvist, Dahlén.

Lidström - Salming
Stoltz - Svedberg
Eldebrink - Waltin

Extras: Samuelsson, Abrahamsson x2, Nordlander, Johansson, Jonsson

Leif Holmqvist
Pelle Lindbergh
Peter "Pekka" Lindmark

Ah, just saw a couple of old games with Mats Waltin playing; what a terrific skater he was! With those skating skills, he could have probably been more of an offensive force than he actually was.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
In his three best seasons, he had 95%, 64%, and 63% of the #2 scorer. (Marty Barry, Syl Apps, Joe Primeau)

Even Drury had years of 71%, 60%, and 55% (vs. Thornton, Bure, and Malkin) while being a much better leader and defensive and physical player. And I think he's the weakest offensively of the bunch you named, though I haven't checked Carpenter's numbers.

Drury also has five more seasons with 91%-116% as many raw points as that third-best season. Romnes' five next-best seasons were 93%, 83%, 76%, 62% and 41% as good statistically as his 3rd-best.

He has a definitively better "best season", that's about it.

You can take all the percentages you want, but the fact remains that Romnes was 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 15th in assists over a career that saw him get descriminted against because he was American.

Romnes was very good defensively as well, and he was the best playoff performer during his career.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Ah, just saw a couple of old games with Mats Waltin playing; what a terrific skater he was! With those skating skills, he could have probably been more of an offensive force than he actually was.

Yes, but he wasn't egoistic. That was his "problem". He was a true teamplayer and played by the roll and system the coach had him in.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You can take all the percentages you want, but the fact remains that Romnes was 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 15th in assists over a career that saw him get descriminted against because he was American.

Romnes was very good defensively as well, and he was the best playoff performer during his career.

The fact that his points percentages were so unimpressive indicates that he was comparitively weak in goalscoring, and those assist finishes mean less than they would in almost any other era.

How do you figure he was the best playoff performer now?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The fact that his points percentages were so unimpressive indicates that he was comparitively weak in goalscoring, and those assist finishes mean less than they would in almost any other era.

How do you figure he was the best playoff performer now?

He was a good playmaker and apoor goalscorer..... Drury wasn't really good at either.

Since he was the leading play-off scorers, I figured he was one of the best performers..... :)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
He was a good playmaker and apoor goalscorer..... Drury wasn't really good at either.

Yet in overall point production, aside from one outlier year, Drury scored about the same relative to the leader or #2 as Romnes did. Those assist finishes are misleading fluff.

I have asked you a few times but you never answer - what's more impressive? 4th with 60% of the leader? Or 15th with 70%?

Since he was the leading play-off scorers, I figured he was one of the best performers..... :)
Are you saying he had the most playoff points during a selected period? This is not uncommon, you know. Was his per-game average dominant?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad