All Time Most overpaid fat cats

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He was a liability even with the Kings:
remember Los Angeles missed the playoffs in 94 and 95 with their fearless highest paid leader.He is about to miss the playoffs again in 96 but then he shops himself to the Blues, a top team, and they are out earlier then expected in the playoffs in 96. Then he goes to New York and true to form Messier carries the Rangers and Mr Hang at centre deep into the playoffs in 97. Mess leaves and with 99 leading the way, the Rangers miss the playoffs in 98 and 99 before Gretz quits on them.

What part of being highest paid player and missing the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 years (and arguably 5 out of 6 if you include the Kings in 96 where he played 60 games) dont you get? Without Mess in NY and not going to the Blues he would have missed the playoffs the last 6 years of his career - with the highest salary.

Man, you really have no grasp on reality, do you?

Messier led the NYR to the play-offs? Gretzky was CLEARLY their best player. Especially in the post-season.

Gretzky was a liability with the Kings? Odd, I could have sworn he won multiple MVPs there and carried them to the Stanley Cup it whatis certainly one of the most impressive singular post-season efforts in NHL history.

Bad teams missing the post-season is Gretzky's fault? You do realize that virtually the last time either the NYRs or the Kings made the post-season is when Wayne carried him on his back. And that Wayne did make the post-season 2 out of his last 4 years. The King's struggles had little to d owith Wayne (who was still scoring among the league-leaders) and more to do with poor defense and lack of scoring depth.

This is just another one of chooch's laughable Wayne-hates where he makes up crap. What is funny is how often you get your arse handed to you in these discussions (Wayne a minus for his career; never scored 40 goals after leaving the Oilers; Oilers being in more blow-outs than the Habs), yet still refuse to come to grips with reality.

chooch*

Man, you really have no grasp on reality, do you?

Messier led the NYR to the play-offs? Gretzky was CLEARLY their best player. Especially in the post-season. Just your opinion.

Gretzky was a liability with the Kings? Odd, I could have sworn he won multiple MVPs there and carried them to the Stanley Cup (what year did they win the Cup? From what I recall, teh Kinsg beat a coupleof loser teams like Toronto before losing easily to an exhausted Montreal it whatis certainly one of the most impressive singular post-season efforts in NHL history. (Really? Did you watch teh Finals,maybe?)
Bad teams missing the post-season is Gretzky's fault? You do realize that virtually the last time either the NYRs or the Kings made the post-season is when Wayne carried him on his back. (Really?) And that Wayne did make the post-season 2 out of his last 4 years. The King's struggles had little to d owith Wayne (who was still scoring among the league-leaders) and more to do with poor defense and lack of scoring depth. (Yep and maybe if he cared more about the team rather than records he woulndt win an Art Ross as a Minus player and be out of playoffs nearly all of the last 6 years of his "fabulous" career.)

This is just another one of chooch's laughable Wayne-hates where he makes up crap. What is funny is how often you get your arse handed to you in these discussions (Wayne a minus for his career (he was a total minus for the last 11 years of an 19 year career) ; never scored 40 goals after leaving the Oilers (He didnt score more than 40 the last 10 years of his career - ok 41 1 year); Oilers being in more blow-outs than the Habs (He was scoring 8 points in 11-5 blowouts of the Hawks whereas guys were sat in the third of Habs blowouts so as not to rub it in; if you;d watched those games you woudl have seen Lambert, Tremblay etc score goal number 9), yet still refuse to come to grips with reality. :biglaugh:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Who was that one bald guy there that played there for the Nordiques there? They were ****ing terrible, shizzle that, tabernacle. He was overpaid, and was a liability there, okay? That guy dragged the Nords down, and they ended up having to go to some english city there in the united states to win their cups.

chooch*

Who was that one bald guy there that played there for the Nordiques there? They were ****ing terrible, shizzle that, tabernacle. He was overpaid, and was a liability there, okay? That guy dragged the Nords down, and they ended up having to go to some english city there in the united states to win their cups.

Youre as bright as the guy in your sig - I was saying you shoudnt be the highest paid player in those circumstances. That Nord certainly wasnt whereas 99 was at or near and certianly if you include those perfumes he sold to guys like you hsi total endorsemnet take was way beyond anyone else..

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Youre as bright as the guy in your sig - I was saying you shoudnt be the highest paid player in those circumstances. That Nord certainly wasnt whereas 99 was at or near and certianly if you include those perfumes he sold to guys like you hsi total endorsemnet take was way beyond anyone else..

Sorry, I don't understand. Are you talking about Gretzky's endorsemnets or the guy pitching the sugary sports beverages, hair tonics and virility elixirs?:dunno:

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

chooch, you simply have no clue what you are talking about.

Your Gretzky fetish is distubing. Seek professional help.

Last edited:

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
remember Los Angeles missed the playoffs in 94 and 95 with their fearless highest paid leader.He is about to miss the playoffs again in 96 but then he shops himself to the Blues, a top team, and they are out earlier then expected in the playoffs in 96. Then he goes to New York and true to form Messier carries the Rangers and Mr Hang at centre deep into the playoffs in 97. Mess leaves and with 99 leading the way, the Rangers miss the playoffs in 98 and 99 before Gretz quits on them.

What part of being highest paid player and missing the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 years (and arguably 5 out of 6 if you include the Kings in 96 where he played 60 games) dont you get? Without Mess in NY and not going to the Blues he would have missed the playoffs the last 6 years of his career - with the highest salary.

What?? He retired, how is that quitting on his team?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Given all the fat contracts out there now, here is a list of the fattest of the fat cats:

1.Derek Sanderson - WHA days; what was it? $300,000 per goal scored in Philly
2.Brad Richards - his current contract is a ridiculous joke.
3. DiPietro Isles - don't even know his first name (Rocky? Paul? Roberto?).
4.Yashin Isles - one of the two fat cats on that team. Likes cougars.
5.Walt Thkazuck Rangers - first of the Manhatten fat cats in 1973. Followed by Vickers, Park, Espo, Hickey etc.
6.Keith Tkzachuk last year - like Walt, a fat cat literally; (how do you spell that name anyway?).
7.Wayne Gretzky - Rangers and Blues period; was a liability on the ice.
8. Kariya Ducks - last few years of $10 mill a year contract were wasted dollars.
9. Dionne Kings - $600k a year for Kings in 70's didnt pay off; always looked fat.
10.Messier Canucks - $18 million potato chips for 3 long lazy years.

I agree with some of this.

But Sanderson wasn't paid for his hockey skills, he was paid to sell a new league.
Richards is definitely worth the money (maybe a touch overpaid).
DiPietro is worth the money and will be worth the money.

I agree with the rest. Gretzky was awful after his last Cup run (bad back). I would throw Brisebois and Theodore on there.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Maybe that one guy there I was talking about there, maybe he wasn't really even paid assez dollars there if you really know and think about it there, okay? I mean if the guy was like le gloriouse matinee superstar, he wouldn't need to go around selling to les innocents les items like hair loss tonic. I mean, hair loss tonic:bow: And the other little problem? Sacre bleu! The indignity- and for this only enough few meagre dollars for a day old sandwich, couple of darts and a swig of some stuff that'll rot your belly.

I've changed my mind- that guy wasn't looked after by his orginization. But that shoudln't be le surprise dramatique, since all the stars that came before him have had to hawk their trophies and gear to keep the bill collector off the phone.

chooch*

I agree with some of this.

But Sanderson wasn't paid for his hockey skills, he was paid to sell a new league.
Richards is definitely worth the money (maybe a touch overpaid).
DiPietro is worth the money and will be worth the money.

I agree with the rest. Gretzky was awful after his last Cup run (bad back). I would throw Brisebois and Theodore on there.

The bad back is a myth; you are right though, he was just plain awful especially for the money.

Ogopogo*

The bad back is a myth; you are right though, he was just plain awful especially for the money.

Yes, leading the league in assists and finishing 3rd in the scoring race is pitiful. How dare Gretzky use physical maladies as an excuse. :sarcasm:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

Seriously, you are unbelievable. Mario and Gretzky are like peas in a pod. Mario with his "cancer"! Wayne with his "back problems"!

I bet if Wayne had played until he was as useless as Messier was in his last few seasons you would berate him for not quitting while he had his diginity and for taking up a roster spot bettter spent on Jamie Lundmark.

Also, for the moneyyou are also pulling people into the seats who want to see Wayne Gretzky play. It's a business and big names are an integral part of that business especially in a city like New York.

Your arguments are full or irrational bias and contradictions. It's really pathetic.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Ignore him, for the love of god ignore him.

If I went on a baseball message board to rant about how Babe Ruth was an awful player or Hank Aaron couldn't it home runs I should be ignored.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary

Yes, when Gretzky and the Blues lost to the Wings in overtime of the seventh game, it was a major choke. Don't forget, Jon Casey had to replace Grant Fuhr after Kypreos purposedly ran him in the first round. You know, the Wings only won an NHL record 62 games that year.

But it was all Wayne's fault

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

cgb

Dec 20, 2006

Quote from Chooch:
"Gretzky was a liability with the Kings? Odd, I could have sworn he won multiple MVPs there and carried them to the Stanley Cup (what year did they win the Cup? From what I recall, teh Kinsg beat a coupleof loser teams like Toronto before losing easily to an exhausted Montreal"

I'd love to know how the Canadiens were the more exhausted team, considering they played 15 games to LA's 19 before the finals and had 7 full days off between the semis and finals compared to LA's 2.
Also the teams LA beat to get to the finals were a combined 41 games above .500 more than the Kings (Kings 4 games above, Flames, Canucks, Leafs 45 games above) the teams Montreal beat were only a combined 7 games above (Montreal 18 games above, Nords, Sabres, Isles 25 games above). The teams LA beat had 297 points in regular season, Canadiens only 277. And the Kings beat a 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place team to reach the finals. Canadiens beat a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place team.
So please explain how the Canadiens were exhausted.
I also want to know how the leafs were a loser team, with 99 points and eighth in the league.
And 40 points in the playoffs is the fourth highest ever, so i'd say gretzky had a good playoffs that year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Quote from Chooch:
"Gretzky was a liability with the Kings? Odd, I could have sworn he won multiple MVPs there and carried them to the Stanley Cup (what year did they win the Cup? From what I recall, teh Kinsg beat a coupleof loser teams like Toronto before losing easily to an exhausted Montreal"

I'd love to know how the Canadiens were the more exhausted team, considering they played 15 games to LA's 19 before the finals and had 7 full days off between the semis and finals compared to LA's 2.
Also the teams LA beat to get to the finals were a combined 41 games above .500 more than the Kings (Kings 4 games above, Flames, Canucks, Leafs 45 games above) the teams Montreal beat were only a combined 7 games above (Montreal 18 games above, Nords, Sabres, Isles 25 games above). The teams LA beat had 297 points in regular season, Canadiens only 277. And the Kings beat a 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place team to reach the finals. Canadiens beat a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place team.
So please explain how the Canadiens were exhausted.
I also want to know how the leafs were a loser team, with 99 points and eighth in the league.
And 40 points in the playoffs is the fourth highest ever, so i'd say gretzky had a good playoffs that year.

They played lots of OT...
But there's absolutely no other reason. And I don't know why Gretz supposedly choked in those playoffs, as Habs were favorites in this matchup, and the Kings had already surprised everybody by beating Toronto.
And I don't know why were talking about this, really. Everyone knew that once the Habs had beaten the Nords (and Glenn Healy, the Penguins) it was nearly clear-sailing to the finals.
Oh, and the Habs had beaten the Sabres, which had an highly paid fat cat named Pat Lafontaine, why didn't you put him on your list, Chooch?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
Scott Fraser's Rangers contract after a good stint with the Oilers.

Much as I liked the guy's play, that contract was not only silly, it killed his potential career.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
They played lots of OT...
But there's absolutely no other reason. And I don't know why Gretz supposedly choked in those playoffs, as Habs were favorites in this matchup, and the Kings had already surprised everybody by beating Toronto.
And I don't know why were talking about this, really. Everyone knew that once the Habs had beaten the Nords (and Glenn Healy, the Penguins) it was nearly clear-sailing to the finals.
Oh, and the Habs had beaten the Sabres, which had an highly paid fat cat named Pat Lafontaine, why didn't you put him on your list, Chooch?

because gooch has some hard on against Gretzky and that is the only reason he made a thread like this

cgb

Dec 20, 2006
Yeah, I forgot the Habs played a lot of OT. But I looked at hockeydb.com and found they only played about 40mins more than the Kings did.
And the Kings lost games 2,3, and 4 in OT to the Habs, so that's not "easily losing" as hooch said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad